Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2001, 09:42 PM   #1
Encard
Quintesson

Hmm... I wonder... does anyone here play any MUDs (MUD = Multi User Domain/Dungeon)? If anyone does, would you feel like telling me about any good ones out there? Right now I'm playing Achaea, which seems pretty nice, but I'm wondering if there's any other particularly good ones out there.
Old 12-09-2001, 07:38 PM   #2
Encard
Quintesson

*bump* Come on, someone here must play MUDs...
Old 12-15-2001, 05:48 PM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

What's this? Noone is helping out?
Well, I suppose it's up to me then.

At the moment, I'm only on one MuD named Mirkwood, which is fun but a little bit of a free fall if you're new. I played a bit of Wolfenburg before that, but at that time at least you had to pay for a more permanent registration, so I gave up.

The GOOD news is, I'm making one myself, along with four friends of mine. It's only the worldbuilder itself that's done, no objects, only basic test characters which are nothing more than spirits, no objects nor enemies nor a good variety of finished rooms. But that's only a matter of time.

But hey, why don't you d/l Fireclient or a similar program? It has a whole list of MuDs and you can try some out.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:35 PM   #4
Encard
Quintesson

Thanks for answering! Hmm... what theme is the MUD you're making based around? Oh, and I've checked the lists of muds, like the one on mudconnector.com, but there's so many... [img]smile.gif[/img] Hmm... what's Mirkwood based on, btw? LotR?
Old 12-16-2001, 07:39 AM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

Mirkwood is indeed mostly LOTR. It plays in the Shire, a few years after the War of the Ring. You'll see references to the book, both in NPC's and in monsters. The people there are kind, and there are almost never more than 40 online, so it's not too busy on the chat channels.

Our MUD is going to have a fantasy setting, and we want to place the emphasis on the terrain instead of the cities. Plus we try to be as original as possible, but like I said, we've only got the most basic outlines.

And yes, there are a LOT of MUDS. Basically it's just picking one, strolling about for a few minutes and then deciding if you like it or not.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!