Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-02-2001, 12:12 PM   #11
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:

personally, i think he could simply say ' we won't be selling arms to anyone'. rather than implying that drug money from afganistan funded the purchase of arms. yes, but where are they bought from, tony? i hear myself ask.

Very good point. I was away at the time, but I understand that on the 12th September everything was cancelled - the TUC conference was ended early etc. Everything EXCEPT the International Arms Fair (or whatever it's called) in the Docklands, which went ahead as if nothing had happened!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-02-2001, 12:17 PM   #12
Vampire

YAWN!

He always waves his hand all over the place, tries to be charismatic and serious but you should see Rory Bremer's Political Satire. Good Impressions of Clinton and Blair!

------------------
Old 10-02-2001, 12:22 PM   #13
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
YAWN!

He always waves his hand all over the place, tries to be charismatic and serious but you should see Rory Bremer's Political Satire. Good Impressions of Clinton and Blair!

I like Rory Bremner!
I don't like Blair - just aside from my huge political disagreements with his policies, he does not come across as someone who is sincere.
I don't think I'm alone in feeling this - he has a false smile, and, dare I say it, he is slimy. I heard it said that he was 'the most unpopular popular prime minister ever'

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-02-2001, 01:31 PM   #14
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I agree about Blair having a fake smile and all, and he does grate on my nerves, also those Bremner impressions are great, but ya never now, for all the sliminess, he may be able to prove himself under pressure.
Wow, it just makes me proud to be English (sort of)

------------------
Resident cantankerous sorcerer of the Clan HADB

Long live HADB!!!

It comes from the depths of your soul, you cannot fight it, to try is to prove it, it knows all, but is rarely spoken.
It is truth.

Old 10-02-2001, 01:36 PM   #15
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
YAWN!

I have nothing to base an opinion of Blair on, but I do like Bremer! I caught some of his shenanigans on Who's Line (I like the British version, not the American one). He was hilarious!

I do, however, like what he has said. Only time will tell, however, whether or not the ideals expressed will be held to.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Official Hypnotizer and performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-02-2001, 01:40 PM   #16
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I don't really like Tony Blair, but I have to say it was a very good speech. I didn't agree with all of it, and there was more rhetoric than substance - very idealistic, really, in many ways - not much about the nuts and bolts of implementation.
Nonetheless, a good speech, well delivered, and sounded sincere. Worth hearing/reading if you can. I'll try to find a link.

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-02-2001, 02:09 PM   #17
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
I don't really like Tony Blair, but I have to say it was a very good speech. I didn't agree with all of it, and there was more rhetoric than substance - very idealistic, really, in many ways - not much about the nuts and bolts of implementation.
Nonetheless, a good speech, well delivered, and sounded sincere. Worth hearing/reading if you can. I'll try to find a link.
Well, then, I can put his speech up there with Bush's. I liked it very much, too, and parts of it even made me want to cry, but again - let's hope they can follow through with all of the 'promises' they're making and 'assurances' they're handing out.

And thank you for attempting to find a link. If you can - even better!

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Official Hypnotizer and performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-02-2001, 02:24 PM   #18
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

This gives the gist of it, and you should be able to download the audio if you want to (one of the boxes on the right of the page...)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1575353.stm

hope it works!

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-02-2001, 02:25 PM   #19
Vampire

Glad everyone likes Bremer!

------------------
Old 10-02-2001, 03:30 PM   #20
tracey
Manshoon

hmmmmm, bremmer - naaaaah. very 'old hat'. spitting image should come back and play. mind you, the 'personalities' in the current government are pretty non-existant, so probably not much satire to get the old teeth into.

the arms trade fair was definately 'on' last week. unbelievable! i must admit i was pretty disgusted by that.

anyway. pretty words butter no parsnips (or something?) so. blair will probably renage on his fine words in a day or two. sad really, they were very ideological.

------------------
offended mistress of the illuminati