Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2001, 10:12 AM   #1
tracey
Manshoon

if anyone has access to english television, catch the speech by tony blair - very interesting!
Old 10-02-2001, 10:15 AM   #2
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
if anyone has access to english television, catch the speech by tony blair - very interesting!

I missed it--maybe I can catch it on a repeat. I wanted to see that!
I really like Tony Blair, seems like a really good person!

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 10-02-2001, 10:16 AM   #3
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I wish I could. Will you post a synopsis or a link to a printed version later?

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Official Hypnotizer and performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-02-2001, 10:16 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Oh no, what's he said now? I panic every time that man opens his mouth.
I don't have access to TV at the moment, and won't until tomorrow - any chance of a quick precis?

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-02-2001, 10:22 AM   #5
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Oh no, what's he said now? I panic every time that man opens his mouth.
I don't have access to TV at the moment, and won't until tomorrow - any chance of a quick precis?
All I remember is that he was supposed to announce to the Taliban that time is running out for them to hand over bin Laden. I'm not sure if that's all he's going to say/has said.

Has he already given the speech?

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Official Hypnotizer and performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-02-2001, 10:23 AM   #6
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:

I'm guessing that he's being very hawkish about Afghanistan. The British Parliament is in recess at the moment but is being recalled just for Thursday. They would not recall it if the situation had not changed.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 10-02-2001, 10:26 AM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

From the BBC website:

Prime Minister Tony Blair has put Britain on a war footing insisting there was "no moral ambiguity" about the war against terrorism.

"This is a battle with only one outcome - our victory, not theirs," he told the Labour Party conference.

"Be in no doubt, Bin Laden and his people organised this atrocity. The Taleban aid and abet him. He will not desist from further acts of terror.

"They will not stop helping him. Yes we should try to understand the causes of terrorism, but let there be no moral ambiguity about this, nothing could ever justify the events of 11 September, and it is to turn justice on its head to pretend it could.

"The action we take will be proportionate and targeted, we will do all we humanly can to avoid civilian casualties.

"But understand what we are dealing with. Listen to the calls of those passengers on the planes.

"Think of the children on them, told they were going to die.

"I say to the Taleban, surrender the terrorists or surrender power. It is your choice."

The prime minister stressed that everything "humanly possible" would be done to avoid civilian casualties.

War alert

But he was clearly setting the country on war alert, with the possibility of British forces taking casualties.

He said the military response would be accompanied by equally well-planned humanitarian relief.

Mr Blair, appreciating the fears over military action, said that doing nothing would be an even more dangerous course.

Another key theme of the speech was be the "power of community" as Mr Blair argued that the new world coalition against global terrorism can be a force for good.

Straw's warning

Ahead of the speech, Foreign Secretary Jack Straw warned that the mistakes of those who tried to appease fascists in the 1930s must not be repeated.

In a conference debate on Britain in the World, Mr Straw said: "If we believe that those who planned, those who organised and those who perpetrated these attacks in New York, Washington and Pittsburgh, can be dealt with by negotiation or by reason, then we delude ourselves.

Like fascists, these people are driven by hate, by violence and by destruction

Mr Straw said every military, diplomatic and political weapon had to be used to undermine the roots of the "perverted ideology of terrorism".

While the foreign secretary stressed the role of the United Nations in handling the crisis, Labour veteran Tony Benn went further when he insisted any military action must be authorised by the UN Security Council.

In the same debate, International Development Secretary Clare Short said the terrorist groups had to be broken up but equal effort had to be devoted to giving humanitarian aid to Afghanistan.

After 20 years of war and four years of drought, the Afghan people were "on the brink of a humanitarian catastrophe", she said.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!

[This message has been edited by Donut (edited 10-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Donut (edited 10-02-2001).]
Old 10-02-2001, 10:39 AM   #8
Epona
Zartan

How can Jack Straw blithely make comments about fascists? In London, demonstrations and marches are banned from the area around parliament while parliament is in session. Jack Straw made a special allowance for fascists to march in this area to hand a petition in - an agreement that has never been allowed for any other group. At the same time, recent anti-fascist activity (I'm talking handing out leaflets here, nothing more controversial) has been banned by his department! What a hypocrite!

EDITING: Just to make it clear that I am NOT saying that Straw is a fascist, or a fascist sympathiser or supporter.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 10-02-2001).]
Old 10-02-2001, 11:01 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I thought it was a very good delivery by Tony Blair - not sure how the non-terrorism stuff (Europe, Africa etc) can be done in practice, but it sounded good! CNN should be showing some of the good bits.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 10-02-2001).]
Old 10-02-2001, 11:59 AM   #10
tracey
Manshoon

i thought he made some good points about the whole issue of third world debt and he hinted at looking at the causes of terrorism - kind of. he implied that free trade should be free trade. and that the distribution of wealth should be more equal!

basically, he came out with quite a lot of things that i wouldn't have expected him to.

unfortunately, i didn't hear it from the beginning, and didn't take notes. possibly he's trying to placate those amongst us who see the coming military action as pretty negative, which is why he was talking about the concept of 'justice' in the wider sense for the afgan's. he mentioned a lot about the regime that they are forced to live under and linked it into action taked in yugoslavia and that 'rwanda' situations wouldn't be allowed to occur again.

he was really, i suppose, trying to say that the west had a moral mandate to 'look after' the poorer and suppressed peoples of the world. but,......... it kinda smacked of stomping into situations and other governments where the west didn't agree with what went on.

personally, i think he could simply say ' we won't be selling arms to anyone'. rather than implying that drug money from afganistan funded the purchase of arms. yes, but where are they bought from, tony? i hear myself ask.

------------------
offended mistress of the illuminati