Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2001, 08:19 PM   #181
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by adam warlock:
witnessed the most disgusting action.... someone had put up an auction selling bits and pieces of rubble of the Twin towers....

If it was on eBay, they're pulling them back off as fast as they can find them. They WILL NOT accept auction listings for anything like this. Rest easy, my friend. If someone ELSE is allowing such an auction in an "eBay" fashion, e-mail directly to the company that hosts the auctions. They'll stop it. If it's ON eBay, e-mail them immediately and they'll pull it.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Newly abducted - er, inducted - member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair.*
Old 09-14-2001, 08:33 PM   #182
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
I am sorry, but I am afraid I have to correct you once again: maybe afterwards (after 1945) 99% of the German population CLAIMED that they had never known anything about the Holocaust, but the actual percentage who had known of the existence of the extermination camps had been much higher and many German soldiers had witnessed the mass executions of Jews, gipsies, Russian and Polish cilivians and POWs (quite a few German soldiers had even participated in these atrocities). The vast majority of the German population of that time MUST have witnessed the ever-escalating discrimination of the German Jews and their subsequent deportation.

This whole subject is just much too important and grim to allow any kind of "inaccuracies" when discussing the actual historical events.

I salute you Ramon. I salute your willingness to openly and honestly face the truth regarding a dark episode in your country's history.

Your example is something that a lot of people in the world could learn from, including many of my own countrymen.
Old 09-14-2001, 08:39 PM   #183
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
I salute you Ramon. I salute your willingness to openly and honestly face the truth regarding a dark episode in your country's history.

Your example is something that a lot of people in the world could learn from, including many of my own countrymen.
On that, I must agree with you on both points, Dio. (Hey, it's cool to be on the same wavelength as you for a change .) {or is it just SCARY ooooooh!)

------------------

[This message has been edited by DragonMage (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 08:42 PM   #184
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

their kinda overeacting.....

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Co-owner of The Abyssal Pit
The Spaminyte Emperor
Official Demon/Villain of IW!
Fish? Welcome to your Doom!

Old 09-14-2001, 08:51 PM   #185
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:

Thank you very much for your kind words.

You too, DragonMage.

------------------
So long !

R³ - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 08:58 PM   #186
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
However, I disagree with you about not having an axe to grind. You seem to be grinding pretty hard, taking an aggressively arguementative stance on almost every thread I have read you in. Regardless of topic, your opinions *seem* to be meant to either provoke or be insuting (not too much of the latter, but I *have* seen it.{not going to hunt threads now...maybe later}) And really, its not any specific post, just a general, overall feeling I get from reading your collective posts

Well, it is true that I have been taking an uncompromising position regarding aspects and implications of the terrorist attack.

The reason is that I feel it is vitally important to draw the right conclusions from this terrible episode, and that I fear we won't.

The idea, held by many (perhaps most) of my countrymen, that this is a simple case of black and white, of good vs evil (to quote our president), of a totally innocent united states inexplicably attacked by insane fanatics is just more of the same old blind and historically ignorant attitude that got us into this mess to start with.

Until we face, openly and honestly, the role that our own policies and actions have played in making so many people hate us, we can only expect more of the same in the future.

I take a strong stance on this issue, and intentionally try to provoke people to think about it, precisely because the stakes are so high, precisely because I do not want my children, my friends, or anybody else to be victims of such things in the future.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:02 PM   #187
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
On that, I must agree with you on both points, Dio. (Hey, it's cool to be on the same wavelength as you for a change .) {or is it just SCARY ooooooh!)

Actually, DragonMage, it puzzles me why you keep hinting that we are usually on the opposite sides of issues. That is not my perception at all. Oh well. *shrugs*
Old 09-14-2001, 09:08 PM   #188
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Actually, DragonMage, it puzzles me why you keep hinting that we are usually on the opposite sides of issues. That is not my perception at all. Oh well. *shrugs*
Nothing personal darlin'. Just that in one or two threads, we've had differing views. I don't mean "butting heads" as a negative thing (surprisingly). I personally view that as having differing views that both sides are unwilling to yield. The "agree to disagree" thing. That's all. And sometimes, we think the same way (which SCARES ME - ooooooooooooh). j/k

------------------

[This message has been edited by DragonMage (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 09:44 PM   #189
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Easy for you to take those actions out of the context of the times Flot. You weren't responsible for trying to prevent Global Thermo Nuclear war. The times were called the cold war, you may remember that time? The USA and trhe Soviets were on the brink of exterminating all life on the planet, mostly because of some really messed up peace making attempts in the post World War II
time frame. Yeha the mess was of our own making but noone ever claimed to be omniscient or omnipotent. We did the best we could to win the cold war without killing every human in europe. It was the very hard work and very hard choices made by the leaders of my country that eventually brought the cold war to an end..without devastating Europe and in the process rebuilding the whole western part of the continet to boot. Yes we financed extremists to help us solve a bad situation. Would you have prefered a limited Nuclear exchange maybe on your soil to help avoid financing extremists? It is sooo easy to use hind sight and say ohh that was brilliant. In the end, they did the best they could, were they always right?? no, but they did manage to end the cold war. I for one am glad of that.

You talk as if the problem were something external, which the "superpowers" struggled heroically to save the world from. It would be far more accurate to say that they themselves WERE the problem.

Ah, well, not up for debating it right now. Another time.

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-15-2001, 01:23 AM   #190
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:

Well, it is true that I have been taking an uncompromising position regarding aspects and implications of the terrorist attack.

The reason is that I feel it is vitally important to draw the right conclusions from this terrible episode, and that I fear we won't.

The idea, held by many (perhaps most) of my countrymen, that this is a simple case of black and white, of good vs evil (to quote our president), of a totally innocent united states inexplicably attacked by insane fanatics is just more of the same old blind and historically ignorant attitude that got us into this mess to start with.

Until we face, openly and honestly, the role that our own policies and actions have played in making so many people hate us, we can only expect more of the same in the future.

I take a strong stance on this issue, and intentionally try to provoke people to think about it, precisely because the stakes are so high, precisely because I do not want my children, my friends, or anybody else to be victims of such things in the future.
Have you even bothered to pay attention to the fact that almost the whole world is with us in this?

By the way, I'd be curious to know if you think we should play, say, hopscotch with terrorists just to keep them from getting MAD at us. Heaven forbid we tick anyone off, they may bomb us. Next time you piss someone off, or that you hate someone, will you bomb them too? If you do, is it justified? I'd hate to be your neighbor!

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)