Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-01-2001, 01:27 PM   #31
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Have to add my two cents worth (of course )

If I understand this correctly, upgrading to this 'new' forum would esentially be like upgrading your version of Word or Excel or anything else...is this correct? It would basically be the same as before, but with a few more 'bells & whistles'.

I am a little 'lacking' in my knowledge of forums and bulletin boards, but is are the new features of this upgrade worth the time and effort involved? Also, has this upgraded version been tried and tested on other forums? Like when I upgraded my MS Office I didn't do it right away but waited about 6 months to make sure the latest 'bug-free' version was released. I didn't want to install it and then have to download patch after patch. I know this would not really be a concern for us users, but just a question.

Don't know if I am making sense....maybe I am just babbling and should stop now

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-01-2001, 01:33 PM   #32
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Ziroc, once again, thank you very much for your tireless effort to improve the board.

But, things I do not like:
1. the rating system
2. the inverse order of the posts
3. the new autoformating features are cool, but why can I only use them at the very end ? whenever I go back to insert a new paragraph or smiley, the autofeatures will stubbornly force me back to the very end of the post.
4. The current software allows to load the editing window with posts posted by others. That is a great educational tool, because that way you could just check how others had done a formatting, smiley, etc you wanted to use yourself. The new software won't allow that.

How does the private messaging system work ? Where do they show up on the addressee's end ? Do you need to have special software installed ? Forgive me, I completely ingnorant with respect to these things.

Ramon, (HI!)

The ratings system can be converted to the one Ziroc is using now in this board.
The inverse order of posts can apparently be reversed (confused yet, I am?)
The automating features probably take some getting used to, because I had similar problems and I can't believe the program won't let me go back and insert a smiley or something!

Re your 4th point: You mean like when I quote you here I can see how you did your post? Or do you mean like when I just click 'edit' on anyone's post and can see how it was constructed, even though I can't do anything but look? Or both? I didn't experiment long enough with the upgraded version to run into that problem last night.

The IM system- well I didn't actually play with this one last night. But on other boards I've been to, you usually see a list of who's on the board at the time and you can choose to send an instant message (software is all part of the board, no dl needed) to someone. They should see an indicator or the dialog box to know a message is being sent and from whom. Then you should have a choice whether to answer or not. Also, the other systems I've seen and apparently this one, allow a person to choose not to receive such messages at all (or in some systems to limit to specific nicks which ones you accept).

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 04-01-2001, 01:55 PM   #33
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Ramon, (HI!)

The ratings system can be converted to the one Ziroc is using now in this board.
The inverse order of posts can apparently be reversed (confused yet, I am?)
The automating features probably take some getting used to, because I had similar problems and I can't believe the program won't let me go back and insert a smiley or something!

Re your 4th point: You mean like when I quote you here I can see how you did your post? Or do you mean like when I just click 'edit' on anyone's post and can see how it was constructed, even though I can't do anything but look? Or both? I didn't experiment long enough with the upgraded version to run into that problem last night.

The IM system- well I didn't actually play with this one last night. But on other boards I've been to, you usually see a list of who's on the board at the time and you can choose to send an instant message (software is all part of the board, no dl needed) to someone. They should see an indicator or the dialog box to know a message is being sent and from whom. Then you should have a choice whether to answer or not. Also, the other systems I've seen and apparently this one, allow a person to choose not to receive such messages at all (or in some systems to limit to specific nicks which ones you accept).

Cloudy

Hi CloudEducator ,

Thanks for helping. Re the 4th point: I meant the second of the two options you mentioned, the one involving the editing function. But come to think of it, your question might already contain the solution as you should also be able to gather that information via the quote function, which is still possible with the new software. Point 1 or 2 have also already being answered by the Great Ziroc himself, but point 3 is really annoying, as I use to jump back and forth when writing my posts.

On the IM system: I sent a message to Epona, it looked like a regular posting window and on the main board window/interface there was no extra dialogue box or alike to be seen.

Btw, I love your current signature, but I always imagined you a lot, uh, "pinker" and the virtuous Bk a lot "bulkier".

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 04-01-2001).]
Old 04-01-2001, 02:10 PM   #34
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Hi CloudEducator ,

Thanks for helping. Re the 4th point: I meant the second of the two options you mentioned, the one involving the editing function. But come to think of it, your question might already contain the solution as you should also be able to gather that information via the quote function, which is still possible with the new software. Point 1 or 2 have also already being answered by the Great Ziroc himself, but point 3 is really annoying, as I use to jump back and forth when writing my posts.

On the IM system: I sent a message to Epona, it looked like a regular posting window and on the main board window/interface there was no extra dialogue box or alike to be seen.

Btw, I love your current signature, but I always imagined you a lot, uh, "pinker" and the virtuous Bk a lot "bulkier".

ROTFL! Ramon, you are always in fine form, but today, Wundebar!

Yes, the third point would be an unpleasant drawback, if not fixable. I too, go back and forth when writing posts.

Are you in the new board now? I may come in and try some things. Can we IM? ooooh, that sounds a bit 'kinky' doesn't it? LOL

As for the sig, thanks! I've had the jpg a while, just finally got it hosted last night. 'Pinker'? LOL...well, dear Ramon, this is not the ONLY sig I'll ever use from now on, but most likely a perennial favorite. I'm collecting jpg and gif's for a nice variety. Far be it from me to settle with ONE! Kind of like names, you know. teehee And as for our 'virtuous BK' ...uh...I'll let him discuss his er, 'bulk' with you, himself. ROTFL!

CloudCommentator

------------------

Storm-Queen
Old 04-01-2001, 02:14 PM   #35
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I've been reading everyone's posts and have to say the following:

1) If the rating can just be our regular stars for posting and titles.

2) If the newest posts can show up first. (I'm like Cloudy, I don't have like to back track through pages and pages).

It would be OK. I just don't want to see anything drive people away.

My opinion for what it's worth.

Thanks, Memnoch, for the location thing, I'm a little dense
Reeka

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death O_H_F
Lady in Waiting (the question is waiting for what?)
Yes, I do get cold. That is why I need someone to warm me up.
No, I did not lose the rest of my outfit!
Does anyone feel a draft or is it me?
Official Party Planner and Events Coordinator of the Moon's Hope Inn
Does this make me a party girl?
Proud Member of the Ladies Guild
Putting this in to see if BK is really reading

Old 04-01-2001, 02:31 PM   #36
Ziroc

Quote:
Hey JJ- seems that Memnoch says it's reversible so maybe that won't be a problem?

He's right. All the settings are configurable.
Its A LOT more configurable too.. I mean 20 times more!

Ziroc

Old 04-01-2001, 02:36 PM   #37
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
Well, I've been reading everyone's posts and have to say the following:

1) If the rating can just be our regular stars for posting and titles.

2) If the newest posts can show up first. (I'm like Cloudy, I don't have like to back track through pages and pages).

It would be OK. I just don't want to see anything drive people away.

My opinion for what it's worth.

Thanks, Memnoch, for the location thing, I'm a little dense
Reeka

Reeka, a woman that has studied a zillion languages cannot be dense. See above,
I was being dense when I did not realize that I complaining about nothing, because I did not realize that the "quote" function would do the job as well.

And, please do not get mewrong, could it be that you, like some people, especially some women, are simply a little afraid of technical/computer stuff ? (Before you start shouting at me, ladies, reread what I have written). I am not talking about actual ability here, but the hampering effect of a lack of self-esteem in a certain area. Fortunately, with regards to computers that problem seems to be declining with each new generation. I am lecturing again

------------------
So long !

Old 04-01-2001, 02:38 PM   #38
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:

He's right. All the settings are configurable.
Its A LOT more configurable too.. I mean 20 times more!

Ziroc
Great! Sounds like it's ideal, then Z. Any reason why you might not like it then? Sounds like you'll have a new 'toy' if you upgrade us!
And not more work than this one, I hope? Maybe easier?

Hey, what's with the Spam Master title, you fiendish ranker, you? Gee, can't a girl have a PRETTY title when she achieves fame and stardom? LOL LOL ROTFL

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Old 04-01-2001, 02:40 PM   #39
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:

ROTFL! Ramon, you are always in fine form, but today, Wundebar!

Yes, the third point would be an unpleasant drawback, if not fixable. I too, go back and forth when writing posts.

Are you in the new board now? I may come in and try some things. Can we IM? ooooh, that sounds a bit 'kinky' doesn't it? LOL

As for the sig, thanks! I've had the jpg a while, just finally got it hosted last night. 'Pinker'? LOL...well, dear Ramon, this is not the ONLY sig I'll ever use from now on, but most likely a perennial favorite. I'm collecting jpg and gif's for a nice variety. Far be it from me to settle with ONE! Kind of like names, you know. teehee And as for our 'virtuous BK' ...uh...I'll let him discuss his er, 'bulk' with you, himself. ROTFL!

CloudCommentator

Okay, CloudSeductress, let's meet on the new board to do something kinky - like sending each other IMs.

------------------
So long !

Old 04-01-2001, 02:48 PM   #40
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

And, please do not get mewrong, could it be that you, like some people, especially some women, are simply a little afraid of technical/computer stuff ? (Before you start shouting at me, ladies, reread what I have written). I am not talking about actual ability here, but the hampering effect of a lack of self-esteem in a certain area. Fortunately, with regards to computers that problem seems to be declining with each new generation. I am lecturing again
Ramon! No, you are right in that used to the way things were for a large number of people, not just women.

As usual, Cloudy is unusual...ok, no false humility runs here..I enjoy technology. I'm quick when it comes to learning things computer-related. And love the challenge of solving the problems that arise. I'm not a hardware person, but I'm learning a bit here and there as needed. Don't always understand everything but I am always willing to give it a go. In fact, for software, I often have to teach myself, then teach faculty (male and female) how things work.

That said, I'm going to make you feel good, Reeka! I was momentarily stumped by that "LOCATION" listing too!

ContraryCloud

------------------

Storm-Queen