Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-19-2005, 12:48 AM   #11
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

As for psychology & computer stuff, that's basically what I'm doing.

My majors undergrad are Math & Computer Science with minors in Leardership & Psychology.

Do that & you're set up for any job in IT management (the Pointy Haired Boss, more or less). You & I are looking at mad cash flow for doing little or nothing in middle or upper management positions in any high or middle tech fields.

For money, with moderate to high skills in programming and architecture positions and with a background in leadership, nothing can beat us money wise in the civilian sector.

Congrats! We're going to be rich! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2005, 12:59 AM   #12
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
To add to my post, there are big bucks in organisational psychology. That is, working with companies and groups rather than individual clients. Looking at management, leadership, team-building, productivity, personnel selection, job design, etc. And lots of jobs.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:16 AM   #13
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Thanks for the info Aelia.

I kind of figured you needed a Ph.D. or Masters in psychology to actually go anywhere with that profession. I'm going to look into what all classes are going to be needed for me to attend for the fields today.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:00 AM   #14
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Careful about referring to Computer Science as working with Word, Excel etc. LOL Computer Scientists might get offended (Comp Sci is a lot more than that, in fact it is the software parts of everything I listed above). The good thing about Computer Engineering/Science or Electronic Engineering is that you don't need a PhD to get a good job.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-19-2005, 11:44 AM   #15
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Careful about referring to Computer Science as working with Word, Excel etc. LOL Computer Scientists might get offended (Comp Sci is a lot more than that, in fact it is the software parts of everything I listed above). The good thing about Computer Engineering/Science or Electronic Engineering is that you don't need a PhD to get a good job.
A class I'm taking at the moment is referred to as computer science going back to Word, Excel, Access, and Powerpoint. It is a good deal that you can get a good paying job when using those programs, but it's as boring as hell to work with.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:50 AM   #16
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

The idea that there's not a lot of programming jobs and they're all being sent over seas is not really accurate. I'm a programmer in NY State. I make twice what my parents ever made in their entire careers, and I've only been working for 7 years. There's LOTS of jobs out there for programming, the companies I've worked at, overseas only does support issues, which frees up the programmers to do new development, which IMHO is more interesting and fun anyway.
Anytime I put my resume on Monster I get phone calls like crazy from head hunters and companies looking for people.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:57 PM   #17
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
A class I'm taking at the moment is referred to as computer science going back to Word, Excel, Access, and Powerpoint. It is a good deal that you can get a good paying job when using those programs, but it's as boring as hell to work with. [/QUOTE]Well you can tell whoever named THAT computer science that they are an idiot [img]tongue.gif[/img] Those are the most basic basic computer skills. Computer science is not only programming but programming language design, writing assembler, compiler engineering, software engineering, networking (not the physical layer). Artificial intelligence like neural nets, genetic algorithms etc. THAT'S computer science.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:17 PM   #18
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Well, take into consideration that this is also on a high school level so it's not really going to be that advanced anyway Vask.

I think I've got it figured out by now. The computer courses are going to take up all the time I'll have anyway, but I'll probably just study psychology and literature on the side, no degrees in them or anything. Computers is pretty much where it's at, we are in the information age so there's really no better job to try and prep for. Thanks for all of the info guys, appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #19
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Well it's all part of the decline of farming and manufacturing-based job numnbers and the move into the tertiary sector. In western civilisation we're all so well off now that we can afford to research into further improvements of our quality of lives (ok some research in computers/electronics/communications is military motivated). Most things you'll do as a result of your computing course will be to improve quality of life, whether that be through better entertainment, communications, or more productive work tools.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:27 PM   #20
Lucern
Quintesson

Good info so far on the things he's mentioned (although I think chemical engineering PhDs beat us all money-wise, at 6 figures entry level )

And in psychology you'll come up to the pros and cons of psychiatry and psychology repeatedly. Psychologists can make great money and are in a wide array of positions, from tenured professors to non-profit agencies and private practices. They don't have to go to medical school either! That's a huge plus, but you'll never be able to prescribe drugs as part of treatment.

Quote:
I think I've got it figured out by now...
As far as careers and college go, do yourself a favor and keep an open mind. Nothing against computer science of course, but when I went in I had so little clue about careers that I thought I wanted to be a doctor. A lucrative way to help people right? Right...that changed to cognitive science, evolutionary biology, then cultural anthropology. If you're going to a 4 year liberal arts school (one that requires taking classes from a variety of disciplines from math and science to literature and foreign languages) your ideas about the world and what exactly you want to do in it will likely change. This is a good thing. Just keep an open mind. I didn't even really know what anthropology was until I took a class to fill a social science requirement, and now I'm anxiously waiting to hear from grad schools to see if I can continue studying it. Even graduating from a 4 year college will put you ahead of most Americans, so find something you like and do it well. [img]smile.gif[/img]