Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2001, 07:31 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well I guess this thread is for the "older" members LOL. Anyone remember that '70's TV science fiction series SPACE 1999? I find myself thinking about that tonight for some reason. We have passed that year now in real life LOL. Ummmm, they were way off LOL. We are not anywhere near as advanced as they portrayed things to be in 1999 space technology wise LOL. But it was still a great series to watch back then. Found a link that plays old video clips, sounds, and still pics of the show:

http://www.space1999.net/~cybermuseum/

Let me know if that link doesn't work.

Lots of other shows back then too. Space shows were really popular for a long time. Then the disaster movies came, and they were really tragic horrible ones too in my opinion, ship disasters, submarine disasters, aircraft disasters, frikken blimp disasters (true story though), wherein the movie usually started out with you getting to know all sorts of different characters, and then later watch them all die one by one, only a few in the end survive. Then there were a few of those "Journey" movies, to the Bottom of the Earth, to the Ends of the Earth, to the Center of the Earth," LOL, where they ran from prehistoric creatures and explored. Again, not many returned from said trips. Then it seemed movies then went for the ocean horrors LOL, i.e., Jaws, Orca, Pirahna, Octupus LOL. And of course can't forget those Godzilla movies ad nauseum throughout it all!

Anyway, please post and tell me what movies or TV series you remember, what you hated, what you loved, from back in the 70's

------------------

[This message has been edited by ladyzekke (edited 10-04-2001).]
Old 10-04-2001, 08:09 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yes! I remember that show! Loved the bad acting!

One movie I loved was Silent Running with Bruce Dern. http://shipofdreams.net/sfmovies/silent.htm

Cloudy, also remembering Godzilla

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-04-2001, 10:51 PM   #3
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

I know what you're thinking... did he fire five shots or six. to tell you the truth in all the excitement I kinda lost track myself. So what you have to ask yourself "Punk" is do you feel lucky....Well PUNK do you.

------------------

Crustiest of the OLD COOTS
Airline ticket to Afghanistan $800
High powered rifle with scope $1000
Hotel room with roof access $100
A clean Head shot on that sack of Horse Manure Usuma Bin Laden PRICELESS!
Old 10-04-2001, 11:05 PM   #4
Pangur Ban

Can't remember if it was 70's or not ( I think it was .... ), but I am a Blake's 7 fan, then, now, and forever.

Praise to Zen and Orac, the coolest computers ever !!!!

Ah, those alien planets that aways look like old quarries and minesites ..

------------------

--------------------------------------
We are the society for putting broken bedsteads into ponds, its a very special purpose that we do ....
Old 10-05-2001, 12:03 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:
Can't remember if it was 70's or not ( I think it was .... ), but I am a Blake's 7 fan, then, now, and forever.

Praise to Zen and Orac, the coolest computers ever !!!!

Ah, those alien planets that aways look like old quarries and minesites ..

YES.. the quarry worlds! HAHAHA.. how could we forget those?

And I just loved the twin tiny japanese women who talked for Godzilla! LOL Were they fairies? pixies???

Cloudy

------------------

CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
Old 10-05-2001, 01:42 AM   #6
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

YES.. the quarry worlds! HAHAHA.. how could we forget those?

And I just loved the twin tiny japanese women who talked for Godzilla! LOL Were they fairies? pixies???

Cloudy

Cloudy - the two women you are thinking of are linked to Mothra, not Godzilla. Their song could wake up Mothra, if he was needed. Mothra is one of the few monsters that could actually beat the big G in a fair ( or unfair !! ) fight.

I don't think it was ever explained if they were fairies or otherwise - they were still cute, though ...

Pangur Ban

[This message has been edited by Pangur Ban (edited 10-05-2001).]
Old 10-05-2001, 04:52 AM   #7
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

LOL! yeah I watched "Space 1999" quite a bit - still remember bits of the theme even... hey, it starred a future Academy Award Winner, so there; Martin (& Barbara) from "Mission: Impossible" - ooh - yeah I watched that one too! And "Get Smart" a lot.
"Night Gallery" - some of those, esp 'The Dead Man' scared the HELL out of me when I was a kid.
Wonder if anyone remembers "Crack In The World" - 1965 flick but I kept watching it in the '70s - sort of the "Armageddon" of the era... I'd still watch that over any current disasterpiece-theatre of these days.
Mostly I think I was hooked on Monty Python ("Holy Grail" could cause nearly fatal laughter to a kid like me) & some SNL [the late-1975 version].
I do remember staying up till the unthinkable hour of 3:00 to finish watching the entire "Midnight Special" when David Bowie was on it w/ Marianne Faithfull & the Troggs - god I wish I had a VCR then...

Ah those were the dayzz
Old 10-05-2001, 08:09 AM   #8
Epona
Zartan

LZ, you are so right - the '70s did appear to be all sci-fi!

I remember Space 1999, but I agree with Pangur Ban - my favourite was Blakes 7. (BTW, I grew up not too far from the quarry where it was all filmed, and 'Avon' lived down the road from me - I used to see him in the post office and I was even in a play with him when I was about 6 – it was the local kiddies dance class Christmas show!)

Also Dr Who was brilliant (same quarry).

I just love Sci-fi.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-05-2001, 04:01 PM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:
Cloudy - the two women you are thinking of are linked to Mothra, not Godzilla. Their song could wake up Mothra, if he was needed. Mothra is one of the few monsters that could actually beat the big G in a fair ( or unfair !! ) fight.

I don't think it was ever explained if they were fairies or otherwise - they were still cute, though ...

Pangur Ban

[This message has been edited by Pangur Ban (edited 10-05-2001).]
ROTFL! Yes,I knew it was Mothera! Brain and typing didn't get together!
Those old movies are just too much fun to watch again.. gotta have a bunch of friends to do it.. and kibbutz while they watch!

Cloudy

------------------

CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
Old 10-05-2001, 04:50 PM   #10
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

Wahey space 1999... lets all abandon our toyotas and gap jeans and go and strap on grey lycra jump suits and live on the moon (so we can press the flashing red buttons on the room tall computers we all own).