Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-15-2001, 02:46 PM   #31
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Bronze:
I originally encountered the character Father Bronze from the novel, The Crystal Singer. I read the novel so long ago, I don't remember exactly what the character did, but I always thought it was a cool name.

Most people in chats/posts just call me Father. Appropriate since I have a couple of young ones at home. Odd since some of the posters are old enough to be my father .

Anyway, I think the name has a certain air of respect, sort of holy. I try to aspire to the goal of being wise, polite, kind, and worthy of respect.

[This message has been edited by Father Bronze (edited 03-15-2001).]

LOL! Ummm, modest, too?

------------------
-Resident Corset Loosener of the OHF
Old 03-15-2001, 02:48 PM   #32
Melusine
Dracolisk

This is infuriating!!!!!! I can't get it right!!! Why won't it give the entire message!!!!!!
Melusine is, as I have told before numerous times on the board - sorry!, a mythological creature. Here's my free version of the story

Melusine is mentioned in a French legend as a mermaid with black wings and a serpent's tail. She was married to a French prince or duke called Raymond, who built her a castle called Lusignan (named after her). The sole condition which Melusine gave Raymond before the marriage was that he may never see her on Saturdays. They had a happy marriage and had many children, although some where deformed or monsters. On a certain Saturday, Raymond betrayed Melusine's trust by peering through her keyhole as she took a bath. Shocked, he saw that the lower part of her body had become that of a great serpent. Still, he kept his tongue because he loved her. But then, one of their monster children, Geoffroy, committed a cruel murder. In his rage, the prince blamed Melusine, calling her a vile serpent. With a wail, the mermaid fled the castle on raven wings. But sometimes at night, the maids of the castle said, she would return to feed her youngest children whom she missed dearly. It is said that whenever on of the descendants of the castle Lusignan dies, Melusine can still be seen flying around the castle, crying and wailing.

Epona: I like your current nick better than Morrigan, to me she always seems such a dark and broody goddess! She has a lot in common with the greek Hekate (which, incidentally, was one of my former nicks!) I love your choice of a Celtic deity, the mythology is so interesting!
Yorick, always loved that nick! When we studied Hamlet last year at school, we had a little project where small groups of students would act out a part of Hamlet. My group (four people) did the part where Hamlet visits his mother in her private room and accidentally kills Polonius. I played Gertrude and my boyfriend was Hamlet. Since everybody knew that we where a couple in real life, our group got very good critique, for all the implications of incest that we'd discussed earlier

Old 03-15-2001, 02:51 PM   #33
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ah, I finally have it! Sorry, that post must have looked weird if you didn't see my blundering around in the deleted post

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-15-2001, 04:09 PM   #34
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by KDogRex:
LOL! Ummm, modest, too?

I edited that message twice and it still didn't come off sounding right. Oh well. Maybe next time I'll write "aspire to humility" . I always strive to do my bets (spelling - best). If I'm going to be modest, I might as well be very good at being modest.

---------------

"I really miss the preview option of the old board. I hate having to go back and edit the spelling mistakes -- being an English Teacher and all, I feel it is a professional responsibility."

------------------
"The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive." Job: A Comedy of Justice

Old 03-15-2001, 04:23 PM   #35
Dramnek_Ulk

im sure i saw Dramnek Ulk as a wizard's name or something in some Ad&d adventure but on looking back i couldnt remember anything about the name anywhere.

------------------

The most Holy and Divine Godly and Wise Noble and Kind Knights of the Ever burning Flame Imperishable of Eternal Hope and Faith from which all Life will find its Perfect Gleaming Shining Defense Force of honour and Righteous Justice

Old 03-15-2001, 04:25 PM   #36
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ah, Dramnek Ulk, venturing out of the BG2 forum to the ULTIMATE SPAM EMPIRE eh?

Welcome!

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-15-2001, 05:43 PM   #37
Epona
Zartan

Dramnek, in a competition for longest sig, I think you would probably carry off the trophy!!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-15-2001, 05:46 PM   #38
Absynthe

Absynthe is a light green liquer originally popular on the continent in the late 1800's. It was brewed using essence of wormwood and was reputed to have mild hallucinogenic effects. It was eventually banned as a "contributor to moral decay".
My favorite color is green, I hallucinate mildly, and whenever possible, I contribute to moral decay.

Old 03-15-2001, 05:54 PM   #39
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Epona, this is a great idea! It's nice to see some new nicks explained and review some familiar ones!

As I have said someplace or other, my Cloudbringer nick was a name I quickly thought up in order to register and post one day. I hadn't really considered it beforehand and was in a hurry. I wanted something that could be an elf name, but was a bit mysterious...couldn't come up with that so Cloudbringer it was!

Since arriving here I have been gifted with many (MANY) nicknames. Those are special because of the situations and conversations surrounding them all. The one most used now is probably Cloudy which our Bard, Yorick gifted me with. StormQueen is another most used nick and that was a gift from Memnoch, based on the 6th of the Seven Chosen Sisters (Mystra's Chosen), Alassra Shentrantra, Queen of Aglarond and also called The Simbul.

Cloudbringer of the many nicks

------------------
Storm-Queen
Purple Rose of the Black Knight

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 03-15-2001).]
Old 03-15-2001, 06:04 PM   #40
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

Melusine is mentioned in a French legend as a mermaid with black wings and a serpent's tail. She was married to a French prince or duke called Raymond, who built her a castle called Lusignan (named after her). The sole condition which Melusine gave Raymond before the marriage was that he may never see her on Saturdays. They had a happy marriage and had many children, although some where deformed or monsters. On a certain Saturday, Raymond betrayed Melusine's trust by peering through her keyhole as she took a bath. Shocked, he saw that the lower part of her body had become that of a great serpent. Still, he kept his tongue because he loved her. But then, one of their monster children, Geoffroy, committed a cruel murder. In his rage, the prince blamed Melusine, calling her a vile serpent. With a wail, the mermaid fled the castle on raven wings. But sometimes at night, the maids of the castle said, she would return to feed her youngest children whom she missed dearly. It is said that whenever on of the descendants of the castle Lusignan dies, Melusine can still be seen flying around the castle, crying and wailing.

It also put a version tale but the lady was a dragon, then there is the tales of sea sprites,sanke women, nymphs, etc, all using that name from across europe.