Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 08-15-2001, 10:49 PM   #1
Lancelot2001ca
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello, I just bought the game and boy is it frustrating sometimes!!

Why is it so hard to target something in this game?
It is frustrating!!

I mean, you got that huge door, chest, monster ,whatever, and you must work with the mouse patiently until you have the part that can be targeted that is as big as the point of a needle. Why didn't they do a polygon covering the item for selection purpose instead of dots? Does the patch fix this? This is what makes the game suck, I enjoy every other aspect of it though.

Anyways, due to this, it really sucks and it's frustrating. Forget about the real time game, you can't target the creatures that attacks you before they kill you.

Please tell me what to do...

I got a an Intel P3, 866 mhz, 192 meg ram, Windows Me, with the latest version of directx.

Your site is pretty nice, I like the idea of having full info on many games, tricks and tips on the most popular of them all.
Lancelot2001ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 11:09 PM   #2
Moni

Well, I can't help you any more than saying *wince* Its something you'll get used to as you play.
Since you run a different OS than I do and have the latest version of DirectX, there may be related problems that I am unaware of...if so, someone will be by to let you know what they are.

Welcome to the Best W&W Forum Anywhere!
Hope you enjoy your stay, AND your game!

Moni

Pets Need Love Too

Old 08-15-2001, 11:18 PM   #3
Lancelot2001ca
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I always thought that to every problem there is a solution, but I think it,s not always the case.

Oh, by the way, where is the pawn shop? is it in the third city? I can't make my rogue progress in new carreers, and I read the manual as well as the forum posts.

I was just wondering where I can upgrade my rogue.
Old 08-16-2001, 12:27 AM   #4
Lancelot2001ca
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Never mind the last question about the guild, reinstalled the game and it appeared.
Old 08-16-2001, 11:04 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Lancelot2001ca!!!

Go into your game options and alter the settings so that the game is not running in "real time" mode. That will give you more time in battle.

Targeting is not difficult except when trying to pick up small items from chests and the like and yes, that part can be very frustrating. You will get much better at it though. The patch did nothing to alter this problem.

Wyv

Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 09:23 AM   #6
Lancelot2001ca
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, and thanks for the welcome.

Well, I hope either the company or someone would fixthat, because it's one of the main weakness of the game.

Otherwise, the game is pretty entertaining.. except for those stupid lilies. LOL

Just to tell you, I was stuck on the Shurugeon castle exit from Eshad N'ha because four Jungle lilies, yes, four, were blocking my way. My highest level was 10th plus a few levels in the secondary carreer. I successfully killed them with my mage with the fire cloud spell combined with meteor when they were close to one another, and since I was near the city gates, I could recharge my mana at will.

I had a hard time yesterday in the Doogre place, btw, the creature in the pit is too easy to beat, I had my settings on hard(for creatures) since the beginning of the game, and it was still easy, it paid like hell in xps though, almost all my characters raised levels, and all except the thief were in their secondary carreer and all above 6th level, so I guess it paid like 5k to 20k of xps, didn't look.

I have noticed that many people on the boards here never actually read the book/forums or even refer to them because they are asking things that are either answered in the book, in the forums here, or on the ironworks site dedicated to W&W. Please guys, read before making those requests.

I am at the stout mines or the dragonspire cave now, hope these will be less populated by lilies, I prefer the dragon over the lilies, at least his breath can be avoided, while the lilies' spell runs right through walls and keeps following you until its duration expires. Quite ridiculous.

Btw, I have killed the high priestess in the serpent temple in a funnny way. First, to make the goons appear, I shot an arrow at her, but she didn't move, she stayed there, so I eliminated the goons as I backed up in the corridors using the incindiary cloud method. Then I went back into the main room and went to her, but she still didn't attack me. I bumbep her and she began to talk, well, I began to bash. She didn't have the time to cast one spell not even attack.
Otherwise, the priestess cannot be killed, one spell from her and you are dead, or at least most of your party members are dead anyways.
Thank you for the info on the serpent temple you have on the site, I wouldn't have figure it out how to open that darn serpent door near the brazier without it, or at least it would have taken me a long frustrating time to figure it out. Thanks!!!
Old 08-17-2001, 10:35 AM   #7
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi there and welcome to the board.

I missed you first posts yesterday but I agree with you about the polygone thing. However, you'll get use to it (or you should of by now anyway). Just for your info, your problems have nothing to do with your hardware. I'm also running a PIII 866 with WinMe and the latest version of DirectX and all works fine.

Also, the game was rushed out and a "few" bugs remained. There's no patched expected to fix the remaining problems with the game so we're stuck with it the way it is (wich is not too bad )

Finally, I got a more personnal question for you. Do you know a guy who used to go by the alias of Nightbird? He's a "butcher" and a good friend of mine that I lost track of. If you know him, drop me an e-mail 'cause we most likely know each other. Unless I'm mistaking, you'd be a "small rock".

If the above doesn't make sense to you, don't worry about it, I just mistaken you for someone else.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 08-17-2001).]
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 12:31 PM   #8
Lancelot2001ca
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nah, I'm not the one you are looking for and I don't know anyone by that alias, sorry.

BTW

I started with 3 warriors a mage, a priest and a rogue, now I have a samurai, a paladin, a ninja, a barbarian, a monk and a warlock.
My monk is human, my paladin stout, my ninja ratling, my mage orphant, my smurai is a cat , and my barbarian is a boar (With 19 of str and 20 of for. I know, it's not much in comparison to the veterans, but hey! it's my first party and my first game. I didn't do the tricks for character creation and for leveling (You know what I mean.) I was wondering when I get my full lists of spells for my spellcasters and the best skill levels for the lesser spell casters and the barbarian, what would be the best choice of progression after this?

Any suggestions for the Dragonspire and the stout mines? Would love to hear some ideas, some do and not do thingies too.

Thanks for all of your replies.
Old 08-17-2001, 02:41 PM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Do the Stout Mines before the Dragon Spire!

Learn Create Portal, Teleport and Call of Home as quickly as you can - at least by the time you make it through the Spire!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 03:40 PM   #10
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancelot2001ca:
Nah, I'm not the one you are looking for and I don't know anyone by that alias, sorry.
No problem, they're a lot of Lancelot on the internet .

Anyway, like Wyv said, do the stout mines before the Spire and make sure you get the moon spells. For a list of spells, check out the best tips. Also, keep in mind that once you move out of a magic role, you can only learn the magic at 1/2 the skill level (exemple: priest to monk... you'll keep spirit at full, you'll gain moon at full but you'll only get vine at 1/2)

Finally, did you talk to Scantril (the rat by the burned house)? If not, it would be a good idea doing so.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 08-17-2001).]
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote