Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

SPOILERS

Aribeth the blackguard

How the hell do you beat her

I have never had to fight her before, she has always been resigned to her fate and waits for lord Nasher to pass judgement. Now she attacks me on sight and she has so many potions of heal that i just can not kill her. How many times can she heal herself? Any ways of killing her quick? any options during the chat I can use (only 2 points of persausion)?

I am a 6th level rogue and 11th level sorcerer. (playing solo and not using summons) [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

[ 06-12-2005, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason she has so many heals is that she can still have access to her paladin skills before she became a blackguard.

Since Aribeth is actually a cleric you will want to go melee with her before she will be able to cast some nasty spells on you. When you finally get her down to badly injured she will stop the fight and surrender. Listen to what she has to say and you can choose your course of action afterwards. You can either end her life or try to convince her to surrender to Lord Nasher and redeem herself. However in order to do so you will need her Ring that she gave to you after telling you her story at Chapter 2. If you save her you will be rewarded with 500 experience points and Aribeth will return back to Castle Never to surrender.

AS for tactics its going to be hard for you to beat her one on one. YOu can raise some sheilds and have her beat herself to death.

First cast Greater Sanc, then shadow sheild, mestils acid sheith, firesheild etc. Close fire off a few disabling spells (hold etc) then fire off your offensive spells and close to melee where you can try sneak attacking her.

Hope this helps

[ 06-12-2005, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]
Old 06-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

First off, it's rather spoilerish so you may want to change the title a little and put the proper tags in place.

As a level 6/11 rogue/sorcerer, you're not going to have an easy time standing toe to toe with her. Summons would be helpful, but since you're not using those, you'll have to find a different strategy.
Possible options include:
- Using damage reduction and magical shields (like (Greater) Stoneskin and Death Armor/Elemental Shield/Acid Sheath). You basically let her kill herself by hacking away at you, while you drink healing potions.
- Using Invisibility and setting traps all over the place.
- Using containment magic (Hold creature spells, Cloud of Bewilderment, Confusion, Fear, Stinking Cloud, and so on) to keep her from using healing potions (Mind Fog may be helpful too if she makes her saves too easily), then killing her using either sneak attacks or offensive magic.
- Using brute force, essentially dealing so much damage she can't heal in time.
- Using wands, scrolls and other items you've acquired to aid any of the above.

As a sorcerer, much of what you can do depends on the spells you picked. A wizard'd have more flexibility to prepare for the specific encounter.
As a rogue, things rather depend on where you've invested those skillpoints. Set Traps can be very helpful if it's raised high enough.

As for the chat/conversion thing, that's only possible if you've met certain requirements over the course of the campaign. If you haven't, you can try but you'll only fail.

EDIT: And TDC, level 11 sorcerer. No spells beyond spell level 5. Shadowshield and Greater Sanctuary wouldn't be available yet, and since it's the OC, they're not around in scroll form either

[ 06-12-2005, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well my weapon master didn't have any problem with her.

Will daze work on Aribeth though? Mind affecting spells would do... Bigby's interposing hand (wait, is this the one with the -10 to attack rolls?). Never forget to set traps.

And the title is spoilerish. I never knew she was Blackguard till I battled her (well I haven't encountered her elsewhere for that matter).
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:50 PM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Sorry about the lack of spoilers everyone [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

The lack of ring does explain why she attacks me then. Boy that was a suprise, no buffs in place just wham bam

Buffing up (ring of fortitude +5)and using stoneskin and the interposing hand gets me to the conversation part but I just can not persuade her to change her course of actions. Must you have lots of persuade skill points or will Charisma help (mine is already high)

I suspect that my choice of sorcerer spells is not the best.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:50 AM   #6
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Thinking back I think you need the ring to pursuade her to turn back.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:51 AM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Don't worry about the spells, you can change them when you level up, and you survived anyway so they are all good. [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Whoops my bad. This is OC right? hehehe

If it is, then you have to have at least 12 on persuade or was that 14? It is really difficult. If you do not have the ring, you'd have to persuade her... if you have the ring life will be easier.

[ 06-13-2005, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Bahamut ]
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

She had to die ..... [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] I went back and bought a load of heal potions, with interposing hand and normal stoneskin I managed to outlast her. Not a classy way to win a fight for sure but she is now just a bunch of xp points on my way to the next level

I counted four 'heals' I think some of them where from bottles. Is there a way of finding out what spells or equipment she has?

Old 06-13-2005, 08:56 PM   #9
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Only way would be to open up that module in the Toolset and check out what she has.

[ 06-13-2005, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]
Old 06-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #10
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

Now I'm going to tell my story of defeating her...Spoiler: I was barbarian!!
I just kicked the flying *cute bunny rabbits* out of her.. [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]

EDIT: Please no swearing.

[ 06-26-2005, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]