Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 08:30 PM   #31
Gxc
Elminster

I dont care if it legal or illegal because im going to stay drug free, and if people want to do it they can but i dont exactly plan on it. As some people said earlier yeah it they put it illegal it just makes people want it more.. people around here just start to smoke it because they think it would hurt them and its just for fun mostly because they feel cool because its illegal and they feel sneaky.. but i choose not too.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:39 PM   #32
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I think if a person is sick with a terminal illness, then whatever drug there is that is out there, that makes them feel better, or helps them lessen their nausea or feel hungry so they eat when normally they would not, then I say let them have it. They are terminal anyway, and it is not a cure, but if it makes things more calm and liveable before they die, then yes, let them have it. When people are terminal, doctors dole out tons of drugs, like morphine, etc. So if they are going to do that, marijuana is nothing, is a mild drug in comparison. The smoking part though may be harmful for some, dunno if they have a pill form?

Also, marijuana has a calming effect, so may be beneficial with people that are extremely ill (not necessarily dying), simply because it may change their mental state. I personally think the mind can cause healing or damage, given certain circumstances. And if you've been diagnosed with some horrible/possibly fatal illness, it can be for some a very worrying, paranoid time mentally, and sometimes the worry can effect the body overall. Every emotion we have causes a chemical reaction in the body. Feeling afraid will only make things worse with someone who is ill. So what I'm saying is, that for some people it could actually help them get through not only the mental part of it, but also the physical part of it (the nausea that some get). Of course it isn't for everyone, as everyone's own body reacts differently to drugs, and that's any drugs, so it is one of those things that a doctor would have to decide.

[ 09-23-2004, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 09-23-2004, 10:20 PM   #33
Animal
Gold Dragon

Well I certainly don't advocate making it legal for the masses, that's opening a huge can of worms and will cause nothing but problems.

As for medicinal, I see no reason not to as long as it's not abused by both doctor and patient.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:05 AM   #34
Aerich
Lord Ao

Sure, I support medicinal use of marijuana. Fully. In fact, I support its legalization, or decriminalization at the very least - say a fine for possession over a certain amount. I know plenty of people that smoke pot and haven't gone on to harder drugs, so I don't buy the gateway argument. And there are strong reasons to legalize, such as resource allocation of law enforcement agencies and courts, taking profits away from traffickers, and removal of the "forbidden fruit" attraction. IMO, those reasons outweigh the potential bad consequences.

Anyway, this is diverting the purpose of the thread, so I'll stop now. Just to reiterate, though, I def'nitely support medical usage. Well, except if someone was going to do something counter-intuitive, like toking for relief from emphezyma (sp?). But cookie form, etc, I unconditionally have no problems or concerns about (unless some conclusive medical data shows up).
Old 09-24-2004, 04:28 AM   #35
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
Well I certainly don't advocate making it legal for the masses, that's opening a huge can of worms and will cause nothing but problems.

As for medicinal, I see no reason not to as long as it's not abused by both doctor and patient.
The Netherlands is a living example that it won't cause nothing but trouble. As soon as it's legal, a lot of people rush out to get some, people who'd normally wouldn't have the guts to even think about it, then discover that it's not what they had in mind, and never bother again. Then only the ones that were already "smokers" remain, and before you know it, people are used to it and noone even notices it anymore. The only big difference is that you're no longer a criminal when you're in possession of some hash or marihuana, you no longer have to hide it when you run into a police officer, hell... you can even ask him for a light.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:04 AM   #36
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

I'm courious LordKathen if you can get a perscription for weed from your dr. It has never been a problem in California even before the legal law, you could always get it from a doc. I thought that was the case all over the country, Dr.s can perscribe it if they think it will help just like any other drug.

As far as the gateway drug, just spend a few years counseling drug rehab folks and you will find it is real. So is alcohal and cigaretts which are already legal why would we want to add more to the plate? It should be a legal perscription drug but I believe it altready is.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:19 AM   #37
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Ahh, but do we blame the drugs for the problems those people themselves have? We seem to do. Wrong thing! What we SHOULD be doing is relieving those people of those problems that get them going away to those soft drugs in the first place. Often it is the case someone starts having too much of something when they have problems outside of the drugs. So it's NOT the fault of the drugs, though many people would like to see it that way.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:23 AM   #38
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
People got used to it being legal i suppose, and somehow it takes the excitement away for some. But that's just me guessing here.
I have never heard any better argument for legalization. That is awesome. Absolutely awesome.

You know -- you think things are true about human behavior. But, having evidence is just great.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:27 AM   #39
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Jr, you're right the problem is not the drug. Kids tend to self medicate rather than seek help. Our society does not make it easy for people to seek help for emotional or mental problems, the stigma is still way to prevelant. So why make it easier for these people to get the drug? If your genogram says you are prone to addiction you don't need help getting there you need help fighting it. Someday kids will come to understand it is o.k. to have problems and seek help for them.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:05 AM   #40
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwing:
I'm courious LordKathen if you can get a perscription for weed from your dr. It has never been a problem in California even before the legal law, you could always get it from a doc. I thought that was the case all over the country, Dr.s can perscribe it if they think it will help just like any other drug.

As far as the gateway drug, just spend a few years counseling drug rehab folks and you will find it is real. So is alcohal and cigaretts which are already legal why would we want to add more to the plate? It should be a legal perscription drug but I believe it altready is.
My PCP won't, and my Neurologist won't. I asked. It is a very political issue around here, and I dont blaim the docs for not wanting to get involved. There is no ligitimate research documented about the effects of Mary on pain, or any other symptom. Thats what they told me anyway. I live in a fairly small area, around 200,000, and is still real conservative on issues like this. I could go west across the mountains, in Seattle/Puget Sound area, and get it no problem. But here, not without a lot of red tape and luck.

As far as the "gateway" issue, I believe its BS. The only reason people say that, is becouse Mary is the easiest drug you can get, besides alcohol. So naturaly its the first drugs they experiment with. I have done them ALL, and had and beat a Methamphetimine addiction about 10 years ago.
Cigarettes are by far a worse drug than most others. Do you consider that a "gateway" drug.
The whole term "gateway" is a ploy as far as I am conserned. If you want the drugs after your initial usage, you will get them regardless of what your first high was.
I know a guy that did LSD as his first ever high on anything. Go figure.