Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2004, 08:01 AM   #11
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

One tip that works for me: I NEVER try to memorise what I'm going to say! This is a bad idea IMO because you're not gonna remember everything anyway because there's usually too much and especially if you're nervous. Then when you can't remember stuff you were "supposed to say" you get even more worried. The best way is simply to KNOW the subject so well that you can role-play. This is especially easy when you are talking about your own work, I always just role-play and use slides as prompts to guide the talk in general.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-23-2004, 08:05 AM   #12
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
I despise with a passion those people who can blag a speech completely off the cuff...
LOL I have a mate like that. He'll spend 20 minutes preparing during breakfast or something then in the presentation he's really pally and familiar with the audience like he was talking to a mate and usually he ends up talking too much but he does sound confident.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-23-2004, 08:53 AM   #13
Epona
Zartan

I love public speaking, and at the risk of generating hatred I am one of those who does it 'off the cuff' without notes.

I agree totally with what other people have said. I find the best preparation for a speech is to get a few mates together over a beer or a coffee a couple of days beforehand and have a thorough discussion about the subject your speech is going to be about. If you've recently had a discussion or argument about it in a situation you're comfortable with, all the important points are fresh in your memory when you come to do your speech.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:30 AM   #14
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I really love presentations. Never in my life have I gotten a bad mark or anything less than a multiple standing ovation after doing this. Acting classes payed out, and I love them still.
Who knows, maybe you'll see me in a couple of years starring in a Hollywood megabuster
Anyway, don't let them see you are afraid, they (the evil audience) can smell fear, and the faces they make when they do will sink you. Just be joyous, don't put much weight in it.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:34 AM   #15
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I speak to myself in front of the mirror. it works! and when I finally deliver my speech in front of the people. I just picture them as my reflection on the mirror.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:46 AM   #16
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
See, I wasn't sure whether or not to advise memorization... I, too, can give a speech just like that.
It's a popular theatre exercise, actually. Someone names a topic (It helps if it's something strange like 'Bunnies' or 'Hair' or 'My boyfriend is SUCH a loser...') and the player has to give a one-minute speech on it.
I once gave a five-minute improvised report... ON improvisation.
It is my opinion that everyone should take a basic acting for non-majors type of class (if you're in college and they offer one), or a public speaking class. It's something everyone has to do.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:57 AM   #17
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Speaking in public is a skill, just like any other. And the way you improve any skill is to practice.

I highly recommend Toastmasters as a way to practice your speaking skills. I've been doing it for six years now, and because I've practiced so much in Toastmasters, there are very few public speaking scenarios that can bother me. Getting called on to deliver a keynote presentation in thirty minutes is one... that still brings chills.

But a general 5-7 minute presentation... no problem. And when things pop up like typos, missed words, and so on, you're more comfortable and can go with the flow.

For reference, I prefer to memorize stories, rather than words. A five to seven minute speech should have about three stories in it, or perhaps two. My notes, and I do use them, list the story itself, and not the actual words. As long as I know the concept I want to convey, I can run with it.

I routinely deliver 45-50 minute presentations to technical audiences, and I enjoy it, much like Epona and others. It's great to be on-stage and the center of attention, even when I flub up. I find the conversational approach (having a discussion with a couple of people in the audience, while everyone else listens in) to be the most effective.

Good luck for the next one!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:19 AM   #18
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
I despise with a passion those people who can blag a speech completely off the cuff...
LOL I have a mate like that. He'll spend 20 minutes preparing during breakfast or something then in the presentation he's really pally and familiar with the audience like he was talking to a mate and usually he ends up talking too much but he does sound confident. [/QUOTE]Grrr... I can only blag stuff when I'm confident I know more about the subject than anyone listening, which doesn't happen all that often. So I usually have to resign myself to days in the library. Like today, for example... tax evasion and black market analysis anyone?

[ 02-23-2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Barry the Sprout ]
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 02-23-2004, 11:41 AM   #19
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I'm not great at presentations - they're not total nightmares for me and I don't foul myself over them, but I do get a little nervous. I might talk a bit quickly or stutter once or twice, but it's never anything too noticeable. In terms of preparation, I type out all my notes in big font and just read them over several times beforehand, to ensure it sounds good when spoken out loud and that it's actually a fairly decent speech in terms of content and structure as well. During the presentation itself, I just try to relax and pretend I'm having a conversation with someone, or explaining something to a mate, rather than viewing the whole thing as a show of sorts.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:26 PM   #20
Spirits forever

i go thinking "what's the worst thing that can happen" and think that hopefully i won't have to experience it...but sadly my technique have never worked for ANYONE besides.....nope it hasn't worked fr me either..hopefully after reading this thread i'll do better [img]tongue.gif[/img]