Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Any way to optimize this little part of the game? TIA

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well, other than using the component of the Ease of Use mod that lets you skip it but gives all the XP and loot... get ready for a lot of battles.

Most importantly, save, save, and save again. Nothing stinks like having to re-do an entire level (or even rank) because you didn't save. I make a separate save every time I complete a level and/or a rank. I quicksave after every battle of the level.

Here's some tricks and tips, in no particular order:

Character - I like to use a good or neutral "battle" cleric. Reasons? High Str, 2-handed weapons, self-buffing, and spontaneous self-healing. An arcane caster will run out of spells, unless it is optimized as a battle mage instead of a bomber (e.g. has high Str, high Con, and high AC) and has multiple fire shields. Even then, it may struggle with the higher levels of each rank.

Since you only have 1 minute per battle, doing damage is more important than taking it. Use two-handed weapons unless you are getting walloped, in which case you might just reload.

Buff the character you're using to the max, even using things that you wouldn't normally use much (Luck, Bless, etc). Optimize your tank for dealing damage, taking damage, and high saves/magic resistance. Protection spells are very important. If you've been seeing abishai, use PfFire. If you're seeing cornugons, use PfLightning. Stoneskin is an absolute must, and if using a battle cleric, make sure to have Iron Skins memorized for when the Stoneskin comes off midway through a level. Two of the most important buffs are Haste and Improved Invisibility.

The character you're using should be carrying boatloads of potions and any scrolls it can use. Drink potions, heal, and re-buff after you've completed a square. You don't want to waste combat rounds. An exception may be the first round of a fight, as the enemies often take a round to "locate" you. Casting a spell here often works well (suggested: Bane, Doom, Recitation, or any self-buff with a very short duration).

Equipment-wise, make sure you can cause more than one type of weapon damage, preferably with enchanted weapons. Some creatures are vulnerable or resistant to various types of weapons damage (e.g. drowned dead take bonus slashing damage, various skeletons take bonus bludgeoning damage). If your character uses 2-handed axes, consider leaving some or most of battle squares until after you visit the Wandering Village. A merchant there sells Widow-Through, an enchanted, keen 2-handed axe. Doing critical hits on 10% of your hits instead of 5% of your hits makes a big difference.

When facing very large enemies (Remorhaz, Frost Giants) you can go just outside the northern entrance to the battle squares room. If you do it right, you can attack the enemy with 2-handed weapons and it can't reach you.

When creatures teleport to your party (e.g. Greater Feyrs, Cornugons), don't kill them too fast. Give the golem time to get over there so it "registers" the kill. With the whole party in that little room, I find it best to stun whatever it is (Icelance was made for this) to make sure I can kill it.

When you start to find yourself facing a lot of undead, elementals, and demons (around rank 4, or so), consider jumping directly to rank 6. The reward for completing that rank may be your best bet to kill an elemental within the required time.

Good luck!

Edit: two things I forgot to put in my book. [img]smile.gif[/img]

1) If you get really stuck for spell buffs, Zack (the guy with the spider, outside) sells them. Both fire shields, haste, stoneskin, you name it. So if you for some odd reason don't have a character capable of casting advanced buffs, you can still do battle squares this way. It seems inefficient and a waste of money, so I've never gone back and forth to Zack for buffing.

2) When choosing what levels to complete, do the hardest levels first (e.g. 7 squares, then 6, etc). That way, if you get creamed or run out of buffs, but don't want to reload, you can quickly complete a level to rebuff with your party's spells, rest, etc.

[ 02-12-2007, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]