Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-10-2001, 12:35 PM   #1
Conan

Since the deadline is coming soon I wanted to ask everyone how they felt about this legal tender. A friend of mine just got back from Germany and told me the exchange rate was almost 2.50 (D-mark). The dollar remains fairly strong, and will through this transition probably will also. But what about the Euro? Will we all end up having bar codes applied to us in the end?
I think that this will take away individualism of many countrys and dont like it. Is it true the Euro has religous symbolism on the face? Scary stuff.

------------------
Conan

Old 07-10-2001, 12:54 PM   #2
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

To once and for all clear up a common misconception: we have already got the euro since January first 1999. That was the date the exchange rates between all the participating currencies was determined and "locked" and the responsibility for the monetary policy was bestowd upon the European Central Bank. The national currencies thus ceded to exist as independent entities: an one Mark coin is nothing more than a 51 Euro Cents coin. So that what will happen during the first three months of 2001, exchanging the old bills and coins for the new Euro ones is just a technicality. But psychologically that might be different as I think it is possible that the Euro becoming visibly part of daily life of the common people might make it more popular as everybody will get used to the fact that the Euro is the new currency.

------------------
So long !

R³ - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 07-10-2001).]
Old 07-10-2001, 01:33 PM   #3
Conan

By deadline I meant the complete phase out Ramon..sorry. I lived in Karlsrue(spelling?)for 18 months while in the service. I love Germany! To be honest I did have sentimental value to the Mark and still do. I love the 5 Mark coin! A pocket full of change there and you have something! I guess I am looking for the psycological views and comments on this matter. Thanks Ramon de Ramon y Ramon!(I loved the Rhine River vineyards and castles!)

------------------
Conan

Old 07-10-2001, 01:48 PM   #4
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Glad you enjoyed your time in Germany, Conan. The old national currencies like the Mark still hold quite a sentimental value for many people here, too. But that will mostly pass quickly IMO once we have the Euro coins and bills in our daily life. Btw, which religious symbols did you refer to ?

------------------
So long !

R³ - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks

Old 07-10-2001, 02:08 PM   #5
Conan

I have not seen this but .its a woman riding a beast..?aka---> Revelations ? Is it true Ramon?

------------------
Conan

Old 07-10-2001, 02:32 PM   #6
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

I am not sure if that is really one of the images on the Euro coins and bills, but I nevertheless think I got an idea what image you are referring to: its is the one of the princess "Europa" riding on a bull who is Zeus. That is nothing religious but rather stems from Greek mythology. Zeus, the highest god of Greek mythology, was deeply stricken with the beauty of the princess Europa from Phoenicia - roughly the Lebanon nowadays - and thus appeared in the shape of a white bull, kidnapped her, brought her to Crete and fathered three children with her. As Crete belongs to Europe and Phoenicia to Asia this legend is the mythological origin of the name "Europe" - the continent was named after that princess "Europa".

------------------
So long !

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 07-10-2001).]
Old 07-10-2001, 05:44 PM   #7
Moiraine
Anubis

I feel a trifle sorry for the Italians - the Lira is such a currency ! You get about 200 Liras for one FF !

I remember the first time I went to Italy - I went camping with my BF, we were 18 and not very rich to say the least, but when I changed the full extent of our money for the month, we were millionairs ! (We had about 5000 FF, like 700 $, for two for a month ...

I also saw the biggest note I have ever seen at the Vatican Museum - a 1 million Liras note, about 1,5 feet long and 3/4 foot large !

------------------

The world is my oyster !
And now I have the knives to open it ...
Old 07-10-2001, 05:46 PM   #8
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I'm guessing it isn't going to catch on here in America.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 07-11-2001, 10:08 AM   #9
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Some facts about the Euro (to clear up confusion and enlighten the masses )

I was fortunate enough to spend 4 weeks in Europe last summer studying the Economics of the European Union

Euro notes and coins will be 'physically' issued on 1/1/2002 and a dual circulation period (with country currency and Euro currency each being accepted) until 28/2/2002. After this date country currencies will no longer be accepted as legal tender.

The 12 countries participating in the single currency are: Belgium, Germany, Spain, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Finland, and Greece

Coins will be denominated in 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 & 50 cents and 1 & 2 Euro
The coins will have a common 'European' face and each member state will decorate their own reverse side motif (this was agreed upon to preserve some national symbolism)

Notes will be denominated in 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 & 500 Euro
The notes will have no national side. The fronts show windows and gateways, to represent a spirit of openess. The backside features a bridge (from different ages) which is a metaphor for communication

There were students from 9 of the participating countries and 3 of the non participating countries (Norway, England, Switzerland) in my classes last summer, and it was very interesting to hear the views from all these students as to why or why not their countries should/did join the single currency. My friend from Switzerland didn't quite get it IMHO when he said in the middle of class one day "Why should we join? We are rich!"

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

[This message has been edited by Moridin (edited 07-11-2001).]
Old 07-11-2001, 10:21 AM   #10
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Very instructive post, Moridin, you presented it in very much better structured way than I did.

Milamber, what do you mean by "the Euro won't catch on in the USA" ?

------------------
So long !