Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2001, 01:15 PM   #11
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
If, on the other hand, you had posted something like “SPOILER about the identity of the new ToB NPC”, then people who want to know can click, and people who don’t want to know but click anyway will have to take responsibility for their being spoiled.

PS – Please don’t reveal the identity of the new ToB NPC if you are one of the few who know.

You know...it's obviously no secret that there is a new NPC being introduced in ToB. However, why is everyone so sure of the identity of that new NPC? I happened to be on the Black Isle ToB forum when this whole thing broke. I think that people who "know" the identity of the new NPC are going to look like a bunch of a$$holes when the game releases. I don't believe for a minute that the new NPC is the person who has been tagged as being it.

Yes...ok...one of the developers did answer, "Yes.", when asked a very direct question as to the identity of the new NPC. However, the developers on that board screw with the member's heads ruthlessly. They seem to take a perverse joy in allowing speculation to brew and then stirring it up even more.

I honestly don't believe that the identity has been correctly revealed. IMHO.

------------------

My *God* man...would you *please* eat something!?
Old 04-10-2001, 03:07 PM   #12
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Of course people should take responsibility for what posts they go into Zateel, I’m not disagreeing with you at all there. Conversely, people should also be careful with the way they title their posts so that what they are talking about is as clear as possible, to avoid accidentally misleading people.

For example, your title above just begs to be clicked on, because you have not been at all specific in what you are posting about. If, on the other hand, you had posted something like “SPOILER about the identity of the new ToB NPC”, then people who want to know can click, and people who don’t want to know but click anyway will have to take responsibility for their being spoiled.

PS – Please don’t reveal the identity of the new ToB NPC if you are one of the few who know.

Memnoch, you change your signiture ALL the time (Metaphor) don't you????

------------------

Visit Now
or Starstryke will Stryke U!
Old 04-10-2001, 10:35 PM   #13
Gargoyle
Manshoon

Very, very interesting !

"Dr. Livingstone I presume"

------------------
Time is only relevant if you have none !
Old 04-11-2001, 05:53 AM   #14
Radek
Red Dragon

Yorick,
could you specify the difference between "specific problems I'd encountered" and "plot developments I would come across naturally"? I daresay that every specific problem you'd encountered is a plot development you would come across naturally. So, what's the difference between your smoking and non-smoking areas? Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Zateel,
my appologies. I read your post too fast. This was caused by the fact that I get crazy whenever I see "spoiler ahead", etc. The discussion is about whether information can spoil anything. I disagree. Information cannot spoil anything. It's a contradiction. Information can only speed up the development of our own game strategies and tactics. But that's WE who develop them - not the informators. Does it matter whether I know that there is a new NPC in ToB? Does it matter whether I know exactly its abilities? It does not because it's ME who decides what to do with it. Similarly, it's me who decides what to do with any information.
My offensive answer should have been directed elsewhere.
Old 04-11-2001, 06:13 AM   #15
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

This is not a spoiler since I am just guessing but I will move my prediction down enough in case you dont want to see it
I think the new npc is a Harpell because the new kit is a wild mage and that certainly is a Harpell trait and because for people to get excited about it would take a already known character and not a original one.

------------------
RULE #1:I am always right
RULE #2:See rule #1
Old 04-11-2001, 06:14 AM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Radek:
Yorick,
could you specify the difference between "specific problems I'd encountered" and "plot developments I would come across naturally"? I daresay that every specific problem you'd encountered is a plot development you would come across naturally. So, what's the difference between your smoking and non-smoking areas? Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Zateel,
my appologies. I read your post too fast. This was caused by the fact that I get crazy whenever I see "spoiler ahead", etc. The discussion is about whether information can spoil anything. I disagree. Information cannot spoil anything. It's a contradiction. Information can only speed up the development of our own game strategies and tactics. But that's WE who develop them - not the informators. Does it matter whether I know that there is a new NPC in ToB? Does it matter whether I know exactly its abilities? It does not because it's ME who decides what to do with it. Similarly, it's me who decides what to do with any information.
My offensive answer should have been directed elsewhere.
Radek, I hope you're not directing your offensive answer to my request that information which reveals plot twists, locations of weapons etc that you would have otherwise learned through the course of the game be marked with a SPOILER tag.

A spoiler is something that reveals information about a plot twist or the location of some object/character/hidden place. Spoilers are by their nature subjective - you will need to use your judgment to determine what these are.

A lot of people get on these boards to talk about general game issues, such as "What is the best party for whatever" or "Should I drop whoever from my group?". These types of posts usually don't require spoiler tags as they are general information.

Other people might have specific game questions like "How do i get past so-and-so" or "Where is such-and-such". These would be considered posts requesting spoiler information. Some are obviously bigger spoilers than others.

There are also posts which refer to specific plot twists in BG2. A lot of people who come here do NOT know about certain plot twists which the rest of us might take for granted. Unmarked spoilers about these detract from these people's gaming experience. The majority of people don't like finding out about a plot twist before they were meant to.

As a COURTESY to other board members who may not have gotten as far in the game as you have, please abide by the following when requesting or revealing spoiler information:

1. Do NOT reveal the spoiler in your title.
2. Put a SPOILER tag in the title so people know you will be revealing spoiler information.
3. Put spoiler spaces just before the part where you are revealing the information.

You are entitled to your belief that information doesn't spoil, and helps you improve your game. However, other people are also entitled to their beliefs that such information DOES spoil - hence the courtesy of marking such information as SPOILERS.

You're more than welcome to read ahead when you see posts marked as spoilers - to you they're not spoilers. For other people they may be - respect their rights by letting them know.

------------------
Old 04-11-2001, 08:05 AM   #17
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

Hey! I spoiled myself by reading Gamespot's review! I'm not telling... but that does sound, err... interesting.

I guess when I stuck this post up I was wondering if there were ANY like-minded people out there, and I see the entire spectrum represented.

My apologies go out mostly to Memnoch, for making him type so much, trying to keep this forum to the standards members expect. Sort of reminds me of that thread where someone mentions casting a pit fiend in the govenment hall- that's not what I meant to do. Thanks all, for your input.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:03 AM   #18
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Zateel:

My apologies go out mostly to Memnoch, for making him type so much, trying to keep this forum to the standards members expect.
I'll let you in on a little secret - that's my spoiler speech, I just cut and pasted it.

------------------
Old 05-01-2001, 05:21 AM   #19
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Radek:
Yorick,
could you specify the difference between "specific problems I'd encountered" and "plot developments I would come across naturally"? I daresay that every specific problem you'd encountered is a plot development you would come across naturally.
Silk/Ambar,
A specific problem would be - "where are all the wands to unlock the traps in Irenicus Dungeon".
A plot development I'd come across naturally would be - still in Irenicus dungeon: being backstabbed by the doppleganger, coming across the Vampire or Yoshimo, or finding out the fate of Khalid. All these have nothing to do with the specific problem of where the wands are, so their knowlege would spoil that natural development.

This is obvious isn't it? You're just being a smart---- right?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!