Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-07-2001, 12:54 PM   #1
Kaleban
Manshoon

I've seen a lot of people advocate both spells, as they both can be extremely powerful, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on which one may prove more useful for a SOLO mage/sorcerer. Obviously, PI would be better for a back in the ranks mage, who has a meat wall to protect him, but a solo mage does not usually have that luxury, especially at the beginning of a battle.

So here are my thoughts:

Simulacrum
PROS: Duplicates quick item and in use items, so horns, spell scrolls, can be used without losing the charge, can cast mage spells (at 60% of the caster's level and selection) without wasting the caster's memorized spells.
CONS: Only get to 60% of the caster's level ever, so higher level spells not available until late ToB.

Projected Image
PROS: Also duplicates the quick items and etc., casts all spells without removing from caster's memory.
CONS: Once PI is cast, the mage is immobile while the PI moves about. Unless one cheezes Mislead, This could make the caster very vulnerable in nearly any situation.

So the question is, do you sacrifice high level power (remember any scrolls can be placed in quickslots, so spells like Wish and Timestop could be used without actually using them) for mobility, or take the chance of getting killed while immobile? Obviously, casting Mislead then PI can result in decent safety, but I just want to know what people's opinions are on these two spells.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:09 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I generally assume that if you are soloing, you have completed the game before already. Under this assumation, this means you already know where the enemy spawns. Simply cast Mislead somewhere where the ants don't walk and stride into the area where the enemy is, cast Project Image and wreck havoc.

You can cast from a scroll, but casting from a scroll takes an awful long time, because equipment does not affect the scroll's casting time.

You may be immobile, but you are invisible. Nobody can touch you, nobody can dispel your invisibility, you are pretty much safe.

Except Kuo-Tuo and Liches, who can see invisible units, but then... Kuo-Tuo are a joke and Liches are rare and usually alone.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Old 11-07-2001, 03:41 PM   #3
Aurum
Manshoon

Well, because no use:

1.- Time stop.
2.- Simulacrum.
3.- Projeted image.

If you has sequencer loads, will be better.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:17 PM   #4
Kaleban
Manshoon

Can the PI cast Simulacrum? Or vice versa? Imagine 20 of you running around!

Yeah, Mislead and then PI seems like an awesome combo, but are there any spells (cleric or mage, like Detect Illusion, Dispel Magic, etc.) that gets rid of the Mislead? I don't have the book in front of me (at work, hehe) is why I'm asking.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:40 PM   #5
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

IMHO projected image is the better of the two.

I am assuming you've beat this game a couple of times. There are a few major battles or spawing spots.

"Obviously, PI would be better for a back in the ranks mage, who has a meat wall to protect him, but a solo mage does not usually have that luxury, especially at the beginning of a battle."

Walk around an entire area invisible. You know where the bad guys are, you know how many, etc..
You won't need a meat wall to protect you. A prepared mage lives. Unprepared..well. (There is a ring of invisibility available early in the game.)

"Projected Image
PROS: Also duplicates the quick items and etc., casts all spells without removing from caster's memory."

Awesome ability..I won't even mention the CHEESY cloudkill wands and/or timestop scrolls.

"CONS: Once PI is cast, the mage is immobile while the PI moves about. Unless one cheezes Mislead, This could make the caster very vulnerable in nearly any situation."

Unless I have a bug on my game and the manual is incorrect, once your character is hit, it dispels the projected image. The caster is not vulnerable. (Stoneskins & mirror image especially ensure your PI's survival)

I like projected image better, but the best part about Simulacrum that you didn't mention was the fact that BOTH of you get to move and attack. Not just the image. In my vote it's not enough to make up for the higher level spells that you lose with a simulacrum.
Old 11-08-2001, 03:29 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kaleban:
Can the PI cast Simulacrum? Or vice versa? Imagine 20 of you running around!
Yeah, Mislead and then PI seems like an awesome combo, but are there any spells (cleric or mage, like Detect Illusion, Dispel Magic, etc.) that gets rid of the Mislead? I don't have the book in front of me (at work, hehe) is why I'm asking.

PI can cast Simulacrum. PI can cast Mislead too.

With PI, it is an exact duplicate of you. Simulacrums can only cast up till 6th level spells, because they are 60% of the spellcaster's level.

Level cap is 20, 60% of 20 is level 12.

If you cheese Mislead, the invisibility is undispellable, because the enemy needs to have the illusion in their line of sight( and visual range) in order to dispel it.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:05 AM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

dood3z... yo gais, heer de masta what haz tu zay here, aye?

faizt erf all!!

pi can cast another pi, but the pi's pi has no items left, and very limited spell choices (like level 3 is the highest)

second of all

the PI's con can be fixed, IRC
just put on a contigency spell
If: helpless (or you can choose being attacked)
Cast on self: Improved Invisibility

see? easy, huh?

second solution:

basically, you can do this

put PI with TWO sunfires in a spell trigger, in this order:
PI, Sunfire, Sunfire

then cast the spell trigger
a PI pops out, you become inmmovable
you cast two sunfires (which WILL count as an atack on you, which in turn triggers the Improved Invisibility on yourself)

just remember to cast fire protection spells on your self before attempting this (because you dont want your PI to die from burning)

and sunfire also dmgs everyone around you, good use

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: DM of FAoIW ]