Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2002, 06:55 AM   #1
Sir Exxon
Zartan

<font color="gold">In LotR, Tolkien made the elves immortal, right?
But they still fall in battles. But Elrond is thousands of years old, and still looks pretty young.
So, if I get this right, elves can die by weapons and stuff, but not by age?</font>

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 07:04 AM   #2
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
<font color="gold">
So, if I get this right, elves can die by weapons and stuff, but not by age?</font>

<hr></blockquote>
Yes Elves do not age, do not get sick,... but accidents can still kill them.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:42 AM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Warhammer:

Yes Elves do not age, do not get sick,... but accidents can still kill them.
<hr></blockquote>

<font color="gold">Thanks!
Now I know that. Gee, I'm just gettin' smarter and smarter! [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font>

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 10:55 AM   #4
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

Elves are almost perfect. They are wise, they are immortal and they are still young after thousands of years! Did you know that Legolas is more than 1000 years old!!!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 06:39 PM   #5
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I get the feeling from the books that even if an elf is killed in battle, they are not actually dead and gone forever.

Several passages in the books hint that the only way an elf ever truely dies is to give up their immortality and become mortal.
Luthien and Arwen did so as well as Elronds brother. I will have to listen to the books again and try to pay special attention to those passages.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:03 PM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sir Byronas:
Elves are almost perfect. They are wise, they are immortal and they are still young after thousands of years! Did you know that Legolas is more than 1000 years old!!!!!<hr></blockquote>

Actually, he's not that far from being 3000 years old at the time of the War of the Ring

As for the elves, you're partially right. They can't be poisoned and don't visibly age after they reach adulthood (you'll probably have noticed the Elrond in the 'introduction' part of the movie looks much the same age as the Elrond in Rivendell) and indeed, they can't die of age.
If they are fed up with their lives they depart to some mysterious place noone comes back from, so it's likely some kind of heaven on earth where they can play chess with their ancestors for all eternity.
But, apart from physical wounds, they can die either by giving up their immortality, or, if they are miserable and tire of their lives, which rarely seems to happen by the way, they can simply lie down and pass away.

Small wonder humans can't comprehend what's going on inside their heads...
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote