Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-18-2001, 09:17 PM   #1
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

This was one of the most faithful renderings of a fantasy novel I have ever seen, witholding final judgement until Lord of The Rings comes out here in a bit.

Having many of my favorite sci-fi and fantasy books prostituted on the twin Hollywood altars of profit and pandering, I was slightly apprehensive about this flick, but all I can say is WOW
:thumbs up: [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
yes, two thumbs up, Amanda was rapt the entire time, which is quite a feat, considering her media attention span of a gnat generated by the cartoon channel.
Having read the first three books at least a half dozen times now, I was keen to any deviation, and they certainly exist, needing at least 9 or 10 hours to actually do the story justice on the screen; but, I was pleased at how seamlessly they were done.
Considering all the media hype about how the author was involved, I thought the things left out gave a certain view on what she found important.
Final Judgement?---I am going to get myself a dvd player for X-mas this year, so I can buy the DVD as soon as it is out!
I loved it, had a great time, take your kid, borrow the neighbor's, or suck it up and go alone in a robe and conical hat, but GO! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
Old 11-18-2001, 09:21 PM   #2
Barloc
Zhentarim Guard

i dont know why, but i never really liked the harry movie.
Old 11-18-2001, 09:28 PM   #3
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I HATE HARRY POTTER!!!!
Old 11-18-2001, 09:29 PM   #4
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

your not the only one, Drew...
Old 11-18-2001, 09:48 PM   #5
Barloc
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
I HATE HARRY POTTER!!!!

yea, what he said

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Barloc ]

Old 11-18-2001, 09:58 PM   #6
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
I HATE HARRY POTTER!!!!

A tad bit vociferous, tadpole, but I get your drift - it may seem awfully trite to such jaded connoisseurs of the realm as yourselves. What is it
exactly
that makes your barf, barloc, septhpthpht!y?
know that i know how you feel, how 'bout some specifics?
.....---and, I would close your font size, but this is kind of funny!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/lightning.gif[/img]

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: J.J. ]

Old 11-18-2001, 10:00 PM   #7
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Originally posted by Barloc:
i dont know why, but i never really liked the harry movie.

you sound as if you are remembering it from a distance not far akin to a galaxy far, far, away, and a time long, long, ago?
what alternate universe had you already seen it in?

Old 11-18-2001, 10:17 PM   #8
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

because its what i call 'imitation fantasy'. the only real elements of fantasy in them are magic and a few of the monsters, thats it. no Elves, no Orcs, no Dwarves, no Halflings/Hobbits, no real Gnomes, nothing! also, i could do a better job than Rowling, i'm sure... also part of this may be my forced torment of listening to my 6th grade reading class basically struggle through the book while i sat at my desk, pounding my head on the top of it while taking occasional breathers to make a crude drawing.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:19 PM   #9
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Details...very well:

I dislike Harry Potter because, IMHO, he ruins the Fantasy genere.

Kids that read it are going think that is fantasy, and well, its not. They are going to grow up thinking Harry Potter, opoised to Dirrzt Do'urden, Tanis Half-Elven, Gandalg, Frodo, Elminster, Tasselhoff Burrfoot, is fantasy.

They are going to think that "The Socerers Stone" is a good read, when There is IWD and The DragonLance Chronicals, the list gose on.

They are going to think that the Fantasy Genere consists of "Magic Tricks" as to Raistlin Going back in time.

As to The Rings in LotRs.

As to The Crystal Shard.

Thats why I dislike Harry Poter. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2001, 10:45 PM   #10
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Well I have never read Harry Potter nor have I seen the film. One of the wonderful things about the free world, is that there is such an incredible diversity of people and preferences, and providing no laws are broken or participants in their enjoyment are not abused or violated, then we are free to pick and chose that which suits our particular tastes. Fantasy is an incredibly broad genre and while many will not like Harry Potter based on their preferences, many will also enjoy it immensley.
J. J. my friend, I am very happy to hear that you and Amanda had a wonderful time watching Harry Potter together.
Trip to the movies, 25-30 dollars.
Harry Potter, the ultimate in fantasy? Probably not.
J. J. and Amanda loved it and had a wonderful time! PRICELESS!