Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
JonnieR
Dungeon Master

Default Chain Events for everyone

I am a master of innovative chain events on FRUA but there is something unwieldy about using chain events in DC.

I have the following simple chain:

Chain 1 Quest in Progress? Yes - transfer party, No - go to next chain

Chain 2 Quest Complete? Yes - transfer party, No - go to Guard Talk Statement

Guard Talk Statement - Take one Step back

I would interpret this chain to be IF EVENT HAPPENS (quest in progress) transfer party, if not Check to see if Quest is complete. IF EVENT HAPPENS (Quest complete) transfer party, else go to Guard Talk Statement, etc.

Isn't that correct?
JonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: Chain Events for everyone

Try it with an event other than "Chain" as the top of the chain. Utilities or Logic Block are good alternatives.

I don't think this is a bug, I think it was a design choice. I believe CocoaSpud felt that DC offered so many more options, that we wouldn't need to start a chain with the Chain event.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
JonnieR
Dungeon Master

Chain doesn't seem to work at all, regardless of what poisition you put it in.

Are there any tutorials on the Logic Block or using utilities or any good examples, because I have no idea how to use these events? I used the help function but it was no help.

Chained logic was pretty easy to use if you planned ahead and laid it out properly.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

I will try Chain out today and write up a bug report and do a mini-mod for Paul.

What do you need to do (in general terms)? There are tutorials for wall switching during game play, icon switching during game play, tracking the the phase of the moon, having events fire at only a given hour or span of hours,...
I've only written tutorials on issues raised here or one of the other forums. I am sure that I can help you out, and then I will write a tutorial about it as well to help other people out.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
JonnieR
Dungeon Master

After you mentioned that you cannot start a series of events with a CHAIN statement I tested the chain function as follows:

I set up a simple talk statement to execute first, in this case, just mentioning to the player that there were guards at the gate.

Then I branched through the normal chain from the talk statement to a CHAIN statement testing it on a quest that I knew was not in progress or complete. I just put simple talk statements as the outcome for both the CHAINED EVENT branch and the NORMAL CHAIN branch.

The initial talk statement fired as expected, but the chain statement did not execute at all. I will try to get it to fire today by testing on something like the "dir the player is facing", etc.

The quest was set up properly. If you remember back to the Uatu-Manikus-JonnieR project I had conditional chain statements working in that that were 7 or 8 levels deep. So the code was changed since that time.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
JonnieR
Dungeon Master

News Flash

I tried the same thing as above with a "player facing" test and the chain fired as expected, hooray! Therefore, the test on the QUEST in PROGRESS or QUEST COMPLETE is the problem.

I will do more testing.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

That sounds interesting. I had some problems with chained events some weeks ago, but ascribed it to possible logic mistakes of my own - although I also got chained events to work as I wished in an older DC release. I then used a logic block event with a GPDL script to execute what I wanted. I will also have a look tonight if I find the time.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
JonnieR
Dungeon Master

Another News Flash

My understanding of the chain statement is that if the event is TRUE (i.e., player is facing west) then the chained event fires. Which is what happened when I tested it.

If the event is NOT TRUE then the normal chain executes if there is any event set up. I got the chained event to fire but when I tested for the player facing another direction other than west the normal chain did not fire.

The logic behind a CHAIN EVENT is that if a certain condition is TRUE the chained event fires and if the CHAIN EVENT is NOT TRUE the normal event fires or so I thought. Is this correct?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
manikus
Jack Burton

Five minutes with the editor (I love using it on my Linux machine ) yielded the following prrof:
Chain cannot (ironically perhaps) start a chain of events.
If the conditions for Chain are met, the "Chained Event" fires.
If the conditions for Chain are not met, the "Normal" event chain fires.

Note: for those just dropping in and skimming -> in my post, capitalized Chain without quotes refers tot he event called "Chain".
Old 07-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Well, if I understand right, then your statements contradict each other, do they not? JonnieR gave an example where the normal chain did not fire although the condition was not met. Or may it have something to do with the "face direction while arriving/after arriving"-difference? I confused those sometimes...

I will still have a look tonight... I darkly remember I tried to use the "if event does/does not happen" options combined with chained events and did not get it to work properly...