Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2001, 02:20 PM   #21
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Vicotnik:
Tobbin: No offense here, I've talked to alot of people about this and your answer is by far the most insightful and explanatory (in your way) that I've seen, so here's the question: Are you psychic, very well read in these matters or just drunk?

I am all of the above and none of the above. I am drunk on life and learning, but not always at the same time. I am psychic to my nature and yet totally ignorant of everything that surrounds me. Therefore, I am in the understanding that everything is a mystery and by definition of that understanding, can understand what I do not know. As for being well read in these matters, can anyone truly be well read in these matters? I think not, because when someone offers their opinion (even mine) there is nothing that can make sense of not knowing that which is not known, except to say that we know nothing about that which is not known, and to say that we would like to understand the understanding of the matter, even if we are not able to comprehend the translevel processing. However, by following others opinions, it can be inferred that one will evolve towards some sort of opinion on the matter and that by listening to more than one opinion, a much clearer opinion can then be created, and in this case, I am somewhat well read on the subject as my literary database crosses more than one medium and context.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-11-2001, 06:37 PM   #22
FanPyre
Dungeon Master

I believe)
* We will never find an intelligent race that we can communicate with (star trek is fantasy)
* If we survive the next 200 Years we will do ok
* Neither god or satan exist (though not sure about afterlife)
* In a hundred years 90 % of animal/plant species will be gone.
* The human race will never be liberated from inequality ie there will always be some who control others lives and their will always be an underclass(s)
* Chaos increases with time, even now the universe is expanding, in 10 billion years there may be no stars in the sky, because they will be too far away to be seen.
Old 03-11-2001, 09:36 PM   #23
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

I just felt like adding that all human ideals might be wrong about time, space, life, dimensions etc because they are diefined by our mental perscption of what exists and our understanding of it.
Old 03-11-2001, 09:39 PM   #24
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel:
I just felt like adding that all human ideals might be wrong about time, space, life, dimensions etc because they are diefined by our mental perscption of what exists and our understanding of it.
EXACTLY. That's what I was trying to say above.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-11-2001, 09:48 PM   #25
turbovee
Elminster

Has anyone heard of the law of percentages theory?

If you take 1% all the galaxies in the Known Universe that could sustain life

then take 1% of the stars in those galaxies that could sustain planets

then take 1% of those planets that could sustain life

then take 1% of thos planets that could have intelligent life

then take 1% of those planets that are capable of interstallar communication

then take 1% of those planets that are capable of interstaellar travel

and there would still be thousands of intelligent "aliens" in the universe

Gives you an idea about how big the universe possibly is.

------------------
I feel the need, the need for SPEED!
Peace and hair grease
Old 03-11-2001, 09:50 PM   #26
Griever
Manshoon

if we could learn to bend space, therefore it means that we can do almost anything... if we learn how to bend space, we would be in deep shit. people usually dont take responsibility with their actions... if bending space=timetravel, the space time continuum would severely damaged and everyone would alter their pasts... amazing.

------------------

Tifa loves her Cloud, Squall loves his Rinoa, Sephiroth... loves his Masamune.
Old 03-11-2001, 09:52 PM   #27
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by turbovee:
Has anyone heard of the law of percentages theory?

If you take 1% all the galaxies in the Known Universe that could sustain life

then take 1% of the stars in those galaxies that could sustain planets

then take 1% of those planets that could sustain life

then take 1% of thos planets that could have intelligent life

then take 1% of those planets that are capable of interstallar communication

then take 1% of those planets that are capable of interstaellar travel

and there would still be thousands of intelligent "aliens" in the universe

Gives you an idea about how big the universe possibly is.

See my post above. You are not taking into account that you may be seeing the same planets more than once. Ergo, that 1% you mention may already be 1% of what you see. When you take this into account, the universe really isn't that big after all.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-11-2001, 09:56 PM   #28
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Griever:
if we could learn to bend space, therefore it means that we can do almost anything... if we learn how to bend space, we would be in deep shit. people usually dont take responsibility with their actions... if bending space=timetravel, the space time continuum would severely damaged and everyone would alter their pasts... amazing.

Altering the past isn't as amazing as you think. We are doing that every second of every minute of every hour of every day of our lives. What we do today has already happened many times over. That's part of the theory that you were asking about in regards to multiple universes. Alternate realities. We co-exist with ourselves because we are ourselves. Each path is pre-ordained. When we meet at Entropy, that is when our time will be done.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-12-2001, 12:40 AM   #29
turbovee
Elminster

No Tobbin, You are taking 1% of the planets that you took 1% of from before. Its the same as going from .1 to .01 to .001 and so on and so on

What this is saying is that even though we take the smallest whole pecentage and multiply it by a number of possible variables that there is still a very large possibility of intelligent alien life.

Another factor that really can't be factored in to this equation is the time variable. There may have been alien civilations eons before ours and have since disappeared

------------------
I feel the need, the need for SPEED!
Peace and hair grease

[This message has been edited by turbovee (edited 03-12-2001).]
Old 03-12-2001, 09:25 AM   #30
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by turbovee:
No Tobbin, You are taking 1% of the planets that you took 1% of from before. Its the same as going from .1 to .01 to .001 and so on and so on

What this is saying is that even though we take the smallest whole pecentage and multiply it by a number of possible variables that there is still a very large possibility of intelligent alien life.

Another factor that really can't be factored in to this equation is the time variable. There may have been alien civilations eons before ours and have since disappeared

You are going in reverse. When you go from a 1 to a .1 to a .01 to a .001 the numbers get smaller. And hence, so to does the possibility of anything existing on something that does not exist. LOL

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL