Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2002, 09:53 AM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I for one rarely do, because I don't get up in time enough to prepare it. If I grab a banana or a glass of juice on my way out the door, that's about as much as I'll do. Being that my lunch hour is at 11:30 a.m., it's not really a very big deal.

I was reading an article the other day about Denton High School students, some of whom do not get to eat lunch until 1:30 p.m. If they don't eat breakfast, some of them are just about fainting by the time 1:30 rolls around. Those in athletics are really hard-strapped. Apparently there's too many students for the lunchroom, so they have to break lunch up in shifts between 11:30 and 1:30. Those who eat late are habitually tardy to class because they're hitting the vending machines, and they're not allowed to bring in cokes or other edibles into the classroom. A lot of these kids, according to the article, aren't getting proper nourishment and not getting proper sleep. Some of them also fall asleep in class (due to sleep deprivation and food deprivation).

What are your views on this? How do you cope if you don't eat breakfast and then lunch is seven hours off?

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 10-09-2002, 10:03 AM   #2
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Well im in high school and i know what it feels like when i have no breakfast. For some time its ok but after quite a while i feel drowsy and EXTREMELY angry, cant concentrate as well thats why i try to take breakfast each mornin.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:04 AM   #3
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Is a cup of coffee and two slices of bread considered as breakfast? That is all I have most of the time.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:06 AM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
I for one rarely do, because I don't get up in time enough to prepare it.
Story of my life...
Old 10-09-2002, 10:07 AM   #5
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Yeah, I have breakfast every morning, either egg rolls or a breakfast burrito. I get all hungry and cranky if I don't get it.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:09 AM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I like to eat at every meal opportunity

Fortunately, at my job we have a kitchen, so I eat after I get to work. Sometimes I don't get to eat until lunch or later, but that's usually when I'm really busy. When I'm really busy, I don't think about eating.

My son had the opposite problem in school a few years ago. His lunch period was at 1030, so he was starving by supper time.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:12 AM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
never, and i never eat lunch either. I only eat 1 time a day, around 5 or 6 PM.

[ 10-09-2002, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 10-09-2002, 10:14 AM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I eat at work as well. We have a kitchen, but breakfast for me is usually a granola bar and 2 pieces fruit while checking the nytimes and the iwf (erm. . . I mean egf).
Old 10-09-2002, 10:21 AM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I never used to have breakfast when I got up or soon afterwards because I just wasn't hungry then, but by 9 or 10 I'd be wanting to munch on my lunch so I started having an english muffin, bagel or even a breakfast bar (grains/fruit) before I leave for work or as soon as I get there. Usually that will hold me til lunch at noon, but some days I nibble on things from my lunch around 10, anyway. I DO think I'm less alert on days when I don't have breakfast.

I think we've gotten into a habit of 'hurry here and scurry there' in the USA, at least. Everything is rushed and we rarely take time for the necessities, like breakfast any more. Go to bed late, get up and rush about to get ready for school or work and then race home to do whatever we have to do and get to bed late again...
Old 10-09-2002, 10:23 AM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
My son had the opposite problem in school a few years ago. His lunch period was at 1030, so he was starving by supper time.
10:30!! That is outrageous!! Most restaurants don't even stop serving breakfast until that time! [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

Although I know the responsibility is on the student and his/her parents to provide breakfast, the ridiculous scheduling of lunch periods by the school districts really makes me see red. It's a perfect example of overcrowding in the schools, with not enough facilities to meet even 2/3 of the needs of the student population. Bah!

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."