Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-02-2004, 06:54 AM   #31
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
I did not judge, merely state a fact (that judging people you don't know is judgemental). [img]tongue.gif[/img]

edit: sig
Yeah, and in stating the so-called 'fact' you made a judgement call insinuating that people who do condemn other people for their sexual practices are somehow contrary to your notions of how people should treat others...

*pats Mel on head* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

ps: I won't sink so low as to mention in public what sort of mucus-covered aquatic creature you are, dearie

[ 07-02-2004, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 07-02-2004, 10:07 AM   #32
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I really don't see anything wrong with saying that people who call Hooters waitresses slutty are not only wrong, but also probably not the best examples of people...c'mon now...tolerance is a beautiful thing, but it doesn't mean we have to let bigots spread their opinions! Don't presume a holier than thou attitude when on the subject of judgement, because it's not the thought that genuinely means much...it's ones acceptance of others.

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:18 AM   #33
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
...(though we haven't got one here in Sydney as far as I know)... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Memnoch, I must heartily disagree! I've seen the pictures of you and your friends at Stealthy's Site and you most definitely have hooters in Australia...

Old 07-02-2004, 10:32 AM   #34
Absynthe

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Hooters isnt even close to being like a titty bar lol, or the full nude versions in some states. More of a semi-yuppie type bar with girls in tight shorts. But I have to say even if they were dancing in your face in a g-string-who cares but you and them? If thats what they want to do and it works for some people then its thier business. [img]smile.gif[/img] And no I havent been to a titty bar in a bit over a year so its not like I own one. Though I really wish I did. Anyone have a few bucks to lend?
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

What IF a woman *is* "whorish"? What if she's a prostitute? Even that won't make me lose respect for her or vilify her. People are just waaaay too judgemental these days.
[/QUOTE]Absolutely right Mel. The suppression of sex and physicality in this country has led to a ridiculous double standard and a lot of social problems. We give lip sefvice to having rights and freedoms, yet we pass laws prohibiting people from making basic choices about their own bodies. This bizarre set of contradictory standards that we espouse is at the root of a social psychosis that is causing a lot of harm to my country.
It constantly amazes me to see and hear people go off about how 'ugly' people shouldn't wear revealing clothes, only 'pretty' people should be allowed to show skin. Then in the same breath they describe a cute girl or guy as a slut for dressing as they do. They'll sit and read People magazine or Vogue and exclaim about all the pretty people, but if they see someone dressed like that on the street, they must be some kind of skank.
WTF?

Old 07-02-2004, 11:53 AM   #35
Animal
Gold Dragon

I see nothing morally wrong with supporting yourself and possibly your family.
Any job, no matter what, is honourable.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that most of the negative responses were from women who don't have the...assets...to work at Hooters.

I see nothing wrong with using your talents and skills to your own benefit, it's called intelligence.

Men are men, we look. But on the flipside, most women will look as well. I go to a unisex gym, and trust me, I get ogled plenty.

A beautiful woman is like a work of art, a great joy to behold.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:32 PM   #36
Melusine
Dracolisk

I wholly agree Absynthe.
While I see many wrongs in the prostitution business (like illegal women being forced to work for no money), I'm still glad that prostitution is legal where I live. It would not be my choice, but I do think women SHOULD have that choice without being ostracised and called the most horrible names. Studies reveal that *quite* a few men have experiences in the sex industry, whether it be something innocuous as going to a strip club or actually visiting a prostitute, but many of them will vehemently vilify any woman who so much as dresses a bit on the slutty side. And of course women do too, although I don't have the same experience with that as Animal. Most women I know are a hell of a lot less judgemental about these things than the men, who seem to suffer from whore/Madonna complexes quite often. Although he may be right that it may be a jealousy issue for women, because they perceive themselves to be less pretty, or because they envy the women who dare do such things? I dunno, something like that. For the men it may be shame, seeing the woman as the wicked Eve who tempted them into it. Pure hypocrisy either way. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
But I don't want to derail this topic too much. [img]smile.gif[/img]
It's just a subject I find interesting. I did a strip act for a rock band once and I didn't lose any self-respect as a result or think any less of myself. In fact it was fun, I never regretted it and the other girls were just as normal as I am - not at all whorish. So to me working in a bar in a top and hotpants, which seems to be the issue with Hooters (never been to one myself so I wouldn't know), sounds pretty innocent and not at all a reason to condemn people.

[ 07-02-2004, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 07-02-2004, 12:57 PM   #37
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
It's just a subject I find interesting. I did a strip act for a rock band once and I didn't lose any self-respect as a result or think any less of myself. In fact it was fun, I never regretted it and the other girls were just as normal as I am - not at all whorish. So to me working in a bar in a top and hotpants, which seems to be the issue with Hooters (never been to one myself so I wouldn't know), sounds pretty innocent and not at all a reason to condemn people.
Hmmm, interesting tid bit of info to know.

If you ask me, the words of slut and whore get thrown around too easily anymore. Most pop stars are called it, even though they don't do the most Pg-13 rated things I've ever seen even for a music video, but I don't use those words until I have the evidence behind it. Prostitutes, I can understand if there isn't any other way for them to get the money, but as for the women that use people in that way, intentionally, yea I'll use those words.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:06 PM   #38
Arvon
Unicorn

It's not really much more than the girls in shorts and on rollerskates in the drivein days.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 07-02-2004, 01:36 PM   #39
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Very interesting, Mel... Anyways, I still want hot wings! Also, I don't thinnk they're quite hot pants, just about as short as girl's shorts are normally. Well, the ones I see most the time, anyways.
Arvon: That is a killer gif! I want to slide instead of going to work, now.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #40
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
I would guess, Attalus, that your acquaintance who quit probably did so more because the MANAGER was propositioning her. You could expect and deal with propositions by customers (drunken or not), but for a manager to act like that is discomfiting and entirely unprofessional. When a woman (or man) is sexually harassed by her (or his) superior, it's time to quit.
Actually, the reasons that she gave me included that, and she reported him to his superior, BTW, but, most importantly, she was being stalked by an infatuated customer who would insist on her waiting on him, tip her with $100 bills and Abercrombie & Fitch credit cards, and follow her home at night. Not just down the block, 20 miles to our city. She was, and is, quite afraid of him. After she quit, though, he seems to have lost interest. Oh, also, according to her, most of the waitresses are in it for the money, either to support their families (lots of single moms, alas) or to support their drug habits.