Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-13-2003, 11:48 AM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Surely god can handle a bit of humor, don't you think ?
Old 10-13-2003, 11:53 AM   #12
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'm just glad I don't need to worry about stuff like this [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 12:11 PM   #13
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
First off, johnny, note my final paragraph in my previous response.

Secondly, (ack that sounds despicably like I'm trying to lecture) I just said be careful what you say. Someone may take it personally even if you don't mean it personally, or in an offensive way. I've said things on this site that were taken the wrong way. I've almost started some massive fire fights. I'm trying to learn from past mistakes and caution others when I see potential danger.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 10-13-2003, 12:16 PM   #14
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Sure just look at the Platypus... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 12:22 PM   #15
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Personally I hate religious propaganda of any sort. I just think people should let other people be free to believe as they wish, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. If you want to belive god is a cat named Choc, I might look at you a little strange but hey whatever, its your business. On a side note a local church near me just bought a brand new rolls royce for probably around $300,000+. I can see how they need that to spread the word of god. . . .
Old 10-13-2003, 12:25 PM   #16
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
originally posted by Firestormalpha

First off, johnny, note my final paragraph in my previous response.
I did, and that's exactly why i did the opposite. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 12:31 PM   #17
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah, I was a little offended with the post Hierophant posted, if not for the prejudice then the fact that is how you see Christians. Like Sir T said, definitely not all Christians are like that. I don't go around saying that everyone is bad and the only way they can be saved is to submit to the church. I get mocked nearly every day for being a Christian, even by my "friends". Things like Christianity is brainwashing, I'm not a good Christian just cos I wouldn't lend someone money, etc. I've learned to take it in stride, however, it was just the first impression the post created.

Phew, I just wanted to get that off my chest.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:08 PM   #18
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

Then it's safe to say that you are a christian, Sir Taliesin?
Quite safe to say. [img]smile.gif[/img] Actually, I didn't think that was a big secret around here. There are quite a few of us here. And I also wasn't upset with what The Hierophant said, because what he said was true to a certain extent. I think many religous leaders espouse the old "fire and brimstone" type thinking. I have never followed such beliefs. I find them intolerate and small minded. Quite honestly, if that's all Christianity was I probably wouldn't want to be a Christian, but Jesus never taught that way. His message was about God's love, not God's hate. Jesus came to this earth not for the pious, but for the sinner. That's what I believe.

[ 10-13-2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Sir Taliesin ]
Old 10-13-2003, 01:48 PM   #19
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Lonely fella , God. If he wanted a conversation so badly, then why didn't he just ask ?
Because Christians use guilt as a weapon of social control. Make people feel selfish and wicked and bad about themselves and tell them that the only way to be better is to be penitent and submissive to the church It's worked for 1700 odd years now: there are self-sufficient, self-adapting Christian franchises all over the world. [/QUOTE]I wouldn't be so hasty dismissing all Christians. Those that do try to "evangelise" are only doing it because they sincerely believe they have your best interests at heart. Why else would they do it? They're not getting paid and mostly they just get treated badly. I disagree with many methods but you have to respect them for trying despite all they shit they have to take.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 10-13-2003, 01:53 PM   #20
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
On a side note a local church near me just bought a brand new rolls royce for probably around $300,000+. I can see how they need that to spread the word of god. . . .
Love the way people pick single extreme examples to "prove" a point. Very professional...
Try some stats instead, they are better at showing trends and thus proving point.

Personally, the views of a lot of people on this thread piss me off, but I have the sense not to say anything - Firestormalpha is right that we should not get into this stuff again. Suffice to say if all of us on this thread studied our entire lives we would not be qualified enough to make proper judgement on this topic.