Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2001, 09:08 PM   #1
CyberPixie

I am thinking of buying Everquest and was wondering who here at Ironworks plays. I'm kind of hesitating on buying the game because I've seen many of my friends become absolutely obsessed with it, spending all their time playing the game and talking to people in the game. In fact, one of my friends got fired from his job because he had called in sick so many times in order to play the game!
Anyway....I guess this is a two part question: 1) Should I get the game? 2) Who here plays it?

------------------
"It is impossible to know all the answers. Content yourself with knowing some of the questions."

Old 04-10-2001, 09:11 PM   #2
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberPixie:
I am thinking of buying Everquest and was wondering who here at Ironworks plays. I'm kind of hesitating on buying the game because I've seen many of my friends become absolutely obsessed with it, spending all their time playing the game and talking to people in the game. In fact, one of my friends got fired from his job because he had called in sick so many times in order to play the game!
Anyway....I guess this is a two part question: 1) Should I get the game? 2) Who here plays it?

The answer to your first question depends on yourself. I didn't buy it because I know a lot of people that are way addicted to it. There's a lady at work that even buys and sells her stuff on the internet. She loves it as it's an online form of gaming. So my answer to your second question is that I don't play it, but I do know someone that does. I could ask her to e-mail you if you like. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to tell you why she likes it. She even buys figures for it too. She's a great painter too.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 04-10-2001, 09:49 PM   #3
Damark_Ifrit
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you can afford 10 hours playtime or more everyweek, u have the initial conditions to buy it
If you could spend 10hours straight or more on raids or camps, you definitely
could buy it and I can see your potential as a hardcore.
If you like grouping, you could buy it.
However, it could become quite addicted like Tobbin said. So if you have something like a girlfriend that require lots of maintenance, you might not want to buy it.
Finally, I did play Everquest. I had a 54 wizard on prexus, but I deleted him a while ago, and canceled my account
Old 04-10-2001, 09:54 PM   #4
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Damark_Ifrit:
If you can afford 10 hours playtime or more everyweek, u have the initial conditions to buy it
If you could spend 10hours straight or more on raids or camps, you definitely
could buy it and I can see your potential as a hardcore.
If you like grouping, you could buy it.
However, it could become quite addicted like Tobbin said. So if you have something like a girlfriend that require lots of maintenance, you might not want to buy it.
Finally, I did play Everquest. I had a 54 wizard on prexus, but I deleted him a while ago, and canceled my account
Cancelled? Are you lost? Man, you could have sold that account on e-Bay for mucho dineros man. That girl I was telling you about at work? She paid someone 500 dollars for a character they had. I don't remember exactly what, but I thought she was nuts. Then she turned around and sold her character for 250 dollars. Amazing. LOL. 54th level, that must have taken you some time. I think the character she bought was a Thief/Rogue or something like that. Don't know how much mages fetch, but you can check it out on e-Bay sometime. WOW.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 04-10-2001, 10:00 PM   #5
CyberPixie

Buying and selling characters...that's crazy!
Stupid question: how much does having an account cost?
I'm trying to avoid spending that much time on a game, but I just finished Wizards & Warriors, and there were some weekends where I would spend the better part of a day playing the game. Plus, I do have some friends that play, so I'm sure they'd rope me into meeting them online some nights. *shaking my head in disbelief* They're going to laugh until they cry when they find out I'm actually considering playing

Old 04-10-2001, 11:45 PM   #6
Sentinel04
The Magister

Quote:
Buying and selling characters...that's crazy!
Stupid question: how much does having an account cost?
I'm trying to avoid spending that much time on a game, but I just finished Wizards & Warriors, and there were some weekends where I would spend the better part of a day playing the game. Plus, I do have some friends that play, so I'm sure they'd rope me into meeting them online some nights. *shaking my head in disbelief* They're going to laugh until they cry when they find out I'm actually considering playing
Not to sound like a know it all but...

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!

Seriously. Take it from me. I've been playing EQ since the day it came out, March 16, 1998. I was 15 at the time and my God I became ingrossed with it. Maybe I didn't have enough will power, but jesus christ it takes over your life. If you want to be *relatively* strong, you will have to play like 2-4 hours a day at least. That is, in comparison to everyone else.

Back in the day, the game was good. Then things went sour. The original team who made it mostly quit. NOw we have these know nothings who just piss the customers off. The company, Verant, is only interested in making hte game extremelly drawn out so you have to play longer. This game is for addicts. You won't have much of a life. God, to get to level 50 took me a freaking year, and I'm old school.

Think of it this way. You level at the same rate you do in baldur's gate. Except at like 21, you're super good in BG. In eq you're a newbie at 21. There are 60 levels.

I could go on forever. I would not get this game. If you don't have the time to spend on it, it sucks. If you do, then EQ's gonna be your life.

------------------

You're not lost if you don't care where you are.
Old 04-11-2001, 12:00 AM   #7
Damark_Ifrit
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Tobbin, I am against eBaying Everquest items and/or characters. Nothing pissed you off more than having a 50ish character in group with no knowledge about how to play his class. I also consider my character as an unique individual on EQ, and I am his soul. So when the soul left, the body should not exist anymore. I gave my items to my friends though, so they wouldnt be wasted.
Old 04-11-2001, 12:12 AM   #8
CyberPixie

Sentinel: Thanks for the warning! Like I said, I have seen plenty of my friends become obsessed with the game, and I'm not sure I really want that to happen to me. I have a lot of things that I've finally decided to do lately that I've wanted to do for a very long time (yoga being one of them)...I don't want to risk letting them fall by the wayside for Everquest! Of course, if I was really good, I could practise yoga while I played Everquest, but somehow, I think that would take away from the yoga experience hehe

Old 04-11-2001, 12:13 AM   #9
Sentinel04
The Magister

Quote:
Sentinel: Thanks for the warning! Like I said, I have seen plenty of my friends become obsessed with the game, and I'm not sure I really want that to happen to me. I have a lot of things that I've finally decided to do lately that I've wanted to do for a very long time (yoga being one of them)...I don't want to risk letting them fall by the wayside for Everquest! Of course, if I was really good, I could practise yoga while I played Everquest, but somehow, I think that would take away from the yoga experience hehe

Good decision.

Heh, if you ever did play EQ you'd need Yoga to allieviate all the stress .

------------------

You're not lost if you don't care where you are.
Old 04-11-2001, 12:21 AM   #10
CyberPixie

lol! I probably would need yoga to deal with the stress....

I can just picture myself, with my leg behind my head, clicking furiously with my mouse, screaming at my computer "No! I told you to move over THERE! Throw spells at the BAD GUY! Not the harmless tree/NPC/member of my party!"

Not a pretty picture!