Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2003, 02:31 PM   #1
Son of Osiris

I know that Jihad is like a Call to Arms with an anger problem, but I get the feeling there's more to it then that. Can anybody tell me about Jihad? (Note: I am just curious)

[ 09-23-2003, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: The Whackmiester ]

Old 09-23-2003, 02:35 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Jihad is a holy quest, called to unite all Muslims to a singular cause. That cause is most often liberating places, rarely attacking them. It could use some anger management psichyatrists, and a few US army nutcases with machine guns to kill them down.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:42 PM   #3
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Lesser jihad is what Bozo of Bones says. Greater jihad is to be at peace with yourself.

If I remember that RS GCSE correctly.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:03 PM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

Here's some information on the subject:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/isl_jihad.htm
Old 09-23-2003, 04:25 PM   #5
Chewbacca
Zartan

To most muslims it simply means a struggle, typically spiritual in nature, like a personal struggle to better ones self.

Here is a site with an in-depth perspective:
Jihad

Quote:
This word has been in frequent use in the Western press over the past several years, explained directly or subtlely, to mean holy war. As a matter of fact the term "holy war" was coined in Europe during the Crusades, meaning the war against Muslims. It does not have a counterpart in Islamic glossary, and Jihad is certainly not its translation.

The word Jihad means striving. In its primary sense it is an inner thing, within self, to rid it from debased actions or inclinations, and exercise constancy and perseverance in achieving a higher moral standard. Since Islam is not confined to the boundaries of the individual but extends to the welfare of society and humanity in general, an individual cannot keep improving himself/herself in isolation from what happens in their community or in the world at large, hence the Quranic injunction to the Islamic nation to take as a duty "to enjoin good and forbid evil." (3:104) It is a duty which is not exclusive to Muslims but applies to the human race who are, according to the Quran, God's vicegerent on earth. Muslims, however, cannot shirk it even if others do. The means to fulfil it are varied, and in our modern world encompass all legal, diplomatic, arbitrative, economic, and political instruments. But Islam does not exclude the use of force to curb evil, if there is no other workable alternative. A forerunner of the collective security principle and collective intervention to stop aggression, at least in theory, as manifested in the United Nations Charter, is the Quranic reference "..make peace between them (the two fighting groups), but if one of the two persists in aggression against the other, fight the aggressors until they revert to God's commandment." (49:9)

Military action is therefore a subgroup of the Jihad and not its totality. That was what prophet Mohammad emphasized to his companions when returning from a military campaign, he told them: "This day we have returned from the minor jihad (war) to the major jihad (self-control and betterment)."

Jihad is not a declaration of war against other religions and certainly not against Christians and Jews as some media and political circles want it to be perceived. Islam does not fight other religions. Christians and Jews are considered as fellow inheritors of The Abrahamic traditions by Muslims, worshipping the same God and following the tradition of Abraham.

The rigorous criteria for a "just war" in Islam have already been alluded to, as well as the moral and ethical constraints that should be abided by. Modern warfare does not lend itself to those moral standards; and therefore, war should be replaced by some other alternative for conflict resolution. An enlightened and resolute world public opinion can overcome and subdue war oriented mentalities.

The key is a change of heart. Just as there is a constructive role for forgiveness in interpersonal relations, so might this be possible in international relations provided justice, and not force, is the final arbiter.

We have to acknowledge again, for the sake of honesty, that historically all traditions, Muslim, Christian, Jew as well as others, had their lapses in honestly following the valued ideals of their religions or philosophies. We all made mistakes, and we still do. Muslims are no exception, and time and again religion was exploited by ambitious tyrants or violated by ignorant mobs. This is no reflection on religion, but it shows how desperately humanity is in need of better education, more enduring concern for human dignity, rights and freedom, and vigilant pursuit of justice, even at the price of curbing political and economic greed.
[ 09-23-2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 09-23-2003, 05:00 PM   #6
Son of Osiris

I knew there was more to it then meets the eye...

Old 09-24-2003, 01:32 AM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Jihad is as old as the crusades. It's a "holy quest", whatever that means. In my book it's just an ordinairy vendetta.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:45 AM   #8
Beoulve
The Magister

Jihad is when my friend sticks a plasma grenade to himself in Halo and runs toward you screaming, "FOR ALLAH!"

:mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Too funny.

Pardon this interruption. You may now view your regularly scheduled topic.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:06 AM   #9
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Johnny did you just ignore the entirety of Chewbacca's post? Or just trying to incite harsh comments in your own direction? Jihad basically means to make things better. Not the meaning applied to it by the media.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-24-2003, 03:14 AM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Johnny did you just ignore the entirety of Chewbacca's post? Or just trying to incite harsh comments in your own direction? Jihad basically means to make things better. Not the meaning applied to it by the media.
No, i think i translated precisely how today's Imams are trying to convince the average believers how to interpretate Jihad. I know what Jihad means, but i have a feeling it has a total different meaning nowadays. Or at least that's what certain elements within Islam are preaching.