Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
spydar

Cool Dude

K, here's the deal:
Last night my computer (bob) just completely crashed. I have no idea what happened, I was opening Civ 2 when it just completely froze up, so I Ctrl-Alt-Del twice, restarted, and it would give me the options of various Safe modes. Ok, whatever, I've come across this before, so I go into safe mode and then properly restart bob, that's when all the fun happened.

I was bumped back into the screen with only safe mode options, so, after many a trial and getting stuck in a continous loop of bob trying to restart and going to the safe mode screen, I called a comp sci friend. he told me how to do a system recovery, which I did and have now got bob running again. but I had to reinstall my antivirus, my word processor, and went through several hours trying to recover ALL my many many files from before the "issue" (as I'm calling it). but now my computer doesn't play dvd's, nor will it let me open certain games and such.

so, here's my question: How do I get everything back to the way it was before? I've gone to the help thing and tried to recover my files the way it told me to but it wouldn't let me. sorry I can't really be more specific, but I'm only semi-computer literate.

sooo.....help???? PLEASE
Old 09-07-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

The thing about a System restore is taht it really depend on when your last restore point was. If your last restore point was before you installed the games and other stuff then your registry will be going back to that start point.

Best be is to back up as much as you can (files and other important stuff.

You can try reinstalling your programs and drivers for your DVD drive but if that doesn't work back up all your important stuff, format and reinstall. Windows can be a MEGA pain in the arse after a system restore.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Yeah, it sounds like some drivers are missing, and maybe some programs that handle your graphics card and DVd rom.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
spydar

well, piece of shyt

thanx, I'll probably run back here for more help later.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:51 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

In the future, after a major crash. 1. Turn the system off. 2. Unplug power cord. 3. Flip the power switch to unload the main power supply capacitor. 4. Plug power cord in. 5. Start system.
If the system still mis-behaves, then place WinXP CD in drive and restart and chose the 'reapir' option. If no XP, then kiss it and either revert to hopefully a recent restore point. Or, go for fresh shiny new install. I always put my most recent can't be replaced files on a 'USB Drive'. Just in case.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
spydar

K, more issues, how do I get all my files back??? I haven't been able to play any of my games cause now I have to reinstall them all (all but civ2 which is just wierd since that was the game I was trying to play when bob crashed on me). I can see all their program files and everything, so why can't I play them? also, I reinstalled master of orion and STILL can't play it. HELP ME PLEASE
Old 09-09-2004, 07:47 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

This it where it gets tricky. You can see the files, due to they are installed on the puter. The reason you cannot play them goes back to the restore point. If the restore point was before the games were insatlled, they are not in the 'registry'. Since you can't play them, I'm sure that is the problem. Attempt to access the save game folders, and copy whatever save games you want to a seperate location. You will have to manually un-install all the files, you won't be able to through remove programs, as they are not in the registry. Remove all of them, then re-install, move your save games into the save game folder and repeat until all is well.

Others might suggest just to re-install, the problem with this can lead to a double of the filing system. Instead of only needing x amount, it could double and use x,y, and z amount on the hdd. This could also lead to a 'ghosting' in the file system. Which in turn will create game crashes, and you will be stymied as to why.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:53 PM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Computers are like farm animals...

It is better not to name them because you can get too attached.