Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-15-2001, 09:41 PM   #1
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

OK, maybe throne of Bhaal will fix the dragon AI, but I have taken the liberty of doing a bit of fixing myself This was brought on by a discussion on here when someone was complaining about how stupid the dragons are and I told them to stop complaining and do something about it (sorry) . U can now download improved AI scripts for some dragons at my site: http://lhanzo.tripod.com . Here is what is in the instructions:

/* AI script extensions for Red, Black and Shadow Dragons by Vaskez */
- Improvements:
Dragons will now attack immediately if anyone sets a trap or attempts to set a trap in their view. You can still set traps
in the area the dragon is in, as long as it can't see you.

Dragons will now attack immediately if ANY spell is cast on them, not just offensive spells.

Dragons will heal themselves if they cannot see anyone and are down to 50% HP as opposed to 50HP as before. This means that
it is now very difficult to kill them using the "fire wand of cloudkill about 10 times from outside the dragon's view" tactic.
I have tried this with 10 clouds of gas and the dragon survived. Of course using more than 10 cloudkills might still do the
trick, but I didn't see any point of allowing the dragon to heal himself more often.
I was going to make the dragon come and find you if you use the wand of cloudkill on him, but unfortunately, the scripting
commands do not seem to work if he cannot see you, therefore nothing happens. If I can find a way around this, I will update
the scripts.

Any more ideas on how the AI could be improved would be appreciated. Thanks for listening,

Vaskez
Old 05-15-2001, 09:56 PM   #2
Gargoyle
Manshoon

This could be extremley useful, I always did find the dragons a touch easy, you my friend have my thanx>>

------------------

Time is only relevant if you have none !
Old 05-15-2001, 10:06 PM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

No problem mate. I hope the import and everything works. I have had problems with faulty IAPs before. Just email me: blast_on_sight@yahoo.com if anything is wrong.
Old 05-15-2001, 10:46 PM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Cool!! Thanks!!

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 05-15-2001, 11:41 PM   #5
Gimmick
Dungeon Master

Would it be possible to have dragons cast "zone of sweet air" or whatever that spell is if they take damage, but see no enemies?
Old 05-15-2001, 11:45 PM   #6
Gargoyle
Manshoon

It worked like a charm, at least now you can't almost obliterate the dragon before it sees you !

------------------

Time is only relevant if you have none !
Old 05-16-2001, 05:25 AM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Gimmick:
Would it be possible to have dragons cast "zone of sweet air" or whatever that spell is if they take damage, but see no enemies?
Hmm, not a bad idea, I'll look into it. Of course it would be better if I didn't have to give the dragon and new abilities to make it tougher you know? Cos I could always just double its HP, hehe. What I was trying to do was to make the dragons harder by increasing their intelligence, not give them any extra abilities. I'll have a look- I think the black dragon might already know this spell in which case I'll add it.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:48 AM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Gargoyle:
It worked like a charm, at least now you can't almost obliterate the dragon before it sees you !

Phew! I was sure someone would find some error or something, as usually just because it works on my computer, it doesn't always work on others.

Anyone have any more wishes for dragon AI or any creature AI for that matter?

Old 05-16-2001, 06:39 AM   #9
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

i'd just like to know what your using to edit the dragons

------------------

Bruce The Aussie, Camp Barbarian Hunter OHF
jester of LH and Master Beastmaster of the clan of the Kats
Old 05-16-2001, 08:25 AM   #10
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce The Aussie:
i'd just like to know what your using to edit the dragons
Actually, I'm not touching the dragons. I edited their scripts which are completely seperate from the .CRE file. The .CRE file for each dragon has references to the several scripts for the dragon and I have just edited the OVERRIDE script and put it in the override directory. The game always looks in the override directory for any files before it checks the BIFs so it uses my version of the script instead of the deafult version. I could change the dragons weapon like this as well if I wanted to, without actually touching the Dragon's CRE file.
To edit scripts u can use any text editor and compile them using the compiler that comes with the game. Using teambg scriptor to quicken the process.

[This message has been edited by Vaskez (edited 05-16-2001).]