Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 03-21-2002, 03:41 AM   #1
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

i have some pics and things that i would like to turn into custom portraits, what size do they have to be and what folder do i put them in?
Old 03-21-2002, 04:41 AM   #2
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

The measurements for player portraits are 38X60 pixels for the small ones (8-bit color only) and 110X170 pixels for the large ones. Put these in the Portraits directory (in the install directory for the game) and add a S to the end of the small portrait name and an L to the end of the large portrait. The names must be 1-7 letters long, maximum.
For example:
XXXXXXXS.bmp for small (38x60, 8-bit)
XXXXXXXL.bmp for large (110x70, 24-bit)
For multiplayer, each player must have a copy of the portraits, otherwise they will see a blank icon where the other player's custom portraits would be.
Old 03-21-2002, 04:44 AM   #3
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Curious. In my install (c:\bg1) I had to create a sub-directory called "Portraits" as the install process did not create one. Oh well <>
Old 03-21-2002, 05:00 AM   #4
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
Curious. In my install (c:\bg1) I had to create a sub-directory called "Portraits" as the install process did not create one. Oh well <>
The installer doesn't create it automatically- you have to create it yourself. The upside to that is, when you uninstall, the portrait folder remains where it was so you don't lose all your files.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:28 AM   #5
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks
Old 03-21-2002, 10:37 PM   #6
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

im still having all kinds of trouble doing this, 1st off i cant save the image as an 8 bit file, its not one of the options, and im still not sure where to put it, thereis no "install" folder in my BG directory. Help!
Old 03-22-2002, 12:26 PM   #7
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ozzman:
im still having all kinds of trouble doing this, 1st off i cant save the image as an 8 bit file, its not one of the options, and im still not sure where to put it, thereis no "install" folder in my BG directory. Help!
To edit the color depth of an image, you need an image editor. I use Photoshop, but I am sure there are other editors out there that can do the same thing.

Here are the steps to making a custom portrait file:

1- select image you want to use
2- create a new, blank image using the dimensions allowed for use in a portrait for BG
3- select the area of the image you want to use
4- copy that area
5- paste the contents of the clipboard into the new image
6- fidget until you get the image you want in the correctly sized new image
7- alter the image's color depth. I like to use Indexed Color and the Adaptive palette. Select 8 bits.
8- save the file into the Portraits folder with the naming convention listed above
9- do the same for the 24 bit image
10- start the game and use the custom protraits.

Hope this helps

[ 03-22-2002, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Katherine ]
Old 03-22-2002, 07:15 PM   #8
Pippin
Dungeon Master

If I understand right, this is something you do in the character creation at the beginning right? Well, I`ve started a game and want to change it now, how?
Pippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 07:34 PM   #9
Lavindathar
Harper

IIRC you go to the profile screen, then click on the information button, then the appearance button...

I've never changed once I've started though...
Old 03-22-2002, 10:42 PM   #10
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

After you select appearance, you should see a portrait window open. Select custom and another window will open. You need to select the large portrait in the upper part of the window and smaller version of the portrait below that.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote