Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
spydar

could someone please remind me as to how I can get custom portraits to work. I knew at one time but have now decided to get whole new ones and can't seem to get it to work for me. I have them copied into the portraits file but I think I need to rename them. please help??
Old 06-08-2003, 04:07 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

First of all the portraits must be of bitmap format, secondly the large portraits (55.1 kb) should have the L extension in there name (kensaiL) and the small portraits (6.84 kb) should have the S extension in there name (kensaiS)

Secondly they should all be in the Portriats map in the main BG II directory.

If you followed all these staps, then I'm clueless because they should work.

Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 04:52 PM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Just to improve a bit on Xen's list:
-Must be bitmaps (.bmp)
-There must be two versions of it, one that measures 110x170 pixels, and one 38x64
-They're names must be no longer than 8 characters
-They must be in your portraits-folder (d'oh [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Also, it is not necessary to have the L and S at the end of the names, it only simplyfies it a bit.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 06:01 PM   #4
spydar

k, thanks guys
Old 06-08-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Be careful when saving the bitmaps! The game takes 8-bit bitmap portraits. Your computer will automatically save them in 24-bit bitmap if you save the file like "save" or "save file as." You need to save portraits as "save target as" or open up your bitmaps using Microsoft Photo Editor or Paint or some other graphics program and save them manually as 8-bit. If you don't, your portrait could turn out all grainy and speckled, or not show up at all.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:25 AM   #6
spydar

k, so I am fully aware that this should really be posted in the BG 1 forum, but for some reason that page isn't loading on my comp right now so I'm just going to post here and hope I don't get in shit.

I got the custom portraits for BG2 all saved properly and everything's good in that area but how do I do that for BG1? where do I save them to?
Old 06-23-2003, 05:57 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirengle:
Be careful when saving the bitmaps! The game takes 8-bit bitmap portraits. Your computer will automatically save them in 24-bit bitmap if you save the file like "save" or "save file as." You need to save portraits as "save target as" or open up your bitmaps using Microsoft Photo Editor or Paint or some other graphics program and save them manually as 8-bit. If you don't, your portrait could turn out all grainy and speckled, or not show up at all.
Actually, only the small portrait needs to be 8 bit... which most good portrait sites put them in for you. Hence why you download the *.zip file with both portraits rather than right-click and save them or use screenshots
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:27 AM   #8
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
I got the custom portraits for BG2 all saved properly and everything's good in that area but how do I do that for BG1? where do I save them to?
You have to make a new folder called "Portraits".
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote