Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2003, 03:40 PM   #1
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Heya folks.
Just opening up a separate thread to organize the proposed Londoners get-together. By the sounds of things there are plenty of folks keen to meet up, grab a beer or two, and have a few laughs. So, why not eh? [img]smile.gif[/img] we'll have a blast
On my end, I'm on holiday, so anytime is great by me. Someplace central would be good. I've only been in London for a couple of days but I've been doing a fair amount of sight-seeing. So I've got an idea of the general areas of the central city, but I might need a few directions to more specific places [img]smile.gif[/img] Plus, I'm pretty much bus-bound (double-deckers are so cool!), so places reasonably close to the main routes would be handy too Other than that, I'm easy.
It'll be great to meet up. Lookin' foward to it. Pity we wern't able to get together today for a St. Patricks' Day Guiness [img]smile.gif[/img] Heh heh, ah well. Can't win 'em all eh?

Anyways, we'll keep in touch and sort this out.

Aaron.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
Charlie
Lord Ao

I'm up for it H.
What do you mean by "central"? A lot of places are closed on the weekends in "the city". Where are you and how long for? Next weekend is possible, saturday preferably.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 03-16-2003, 04:00 PM   #3
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
I'm up for it H.
What do you mean by "central"? A lot of places are closed on the weekends in "the city". Where are you and how long for? Next weekend is possible, saturday preferably.
Cool! It'll be good to see you Charlie [img]smile.gif[/img]
By 'Central' I mean along the lines of Oxford St/Covent Garden etc. Basically because those are the areas I'm familiar with [img]smile.gif[/img] We could try somewhere else surely, but there's a good chance a newby to the city like me will get a little bit lost getting there [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'll be in London until the 25th, when I'll be heading to Rome for 5 days, then coming back to London again. So this coming Saturday won't be a problem for me.
We don't need to make a big deal. Just somewhere nice where we can grab a few beers would be awesome.

[ 03-16-2003, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 03-16-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
Charlie
Lord Ao

Covent Garden is fine. We'll sort something out over the coming days.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 03-16-2003, 04:17 PM   #5
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Covent Garden is fine. We'll sort something out over the coming days.
Right on! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Looking foward to it.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:38 PM   #6
Epona
Zartan

The Cross Keys is a decent pub just off Covent Garden - I forget the name of the road but it's one that runs north off Long Acre, or The Hope is round the back of Goodge Street tube station (just off Tottenham Court Road) - or The Chandos in St Martin's Lane (by Trafalgar Square, to the right as you face the National Portrait Gallery). I think there's a pub called The Salisbury or something similar up St Martin's lane too - big pub.

Or The Dog & Duck which is in Frith Street in soho - a bit north of Leicester Square (kind of behind Cambridge Circus, which has a theatre showing Les Miserables if you're in need of a landmark).

My favourite out of all of those is the Dog & Duck - small pub with a cosy homey feel, getting a seat can be a problem on Friday/Saturday nights, but anywhere would do.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:00 PM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Nigel's pub guide to Covent Garden - I would go with Epona's suggestion Hierophant - it sounds like she knows her pubs very well [img]smile.gif[/img] . Just a pity I can't make it all the way from OZ to steer you away form the dreaded brew (Fosters) and towards the joys of cider [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 03-16-2003, 05:18 PM   #8
The Hierophant

Epona - I know the area you're speaking about for the 'Dog and Duck'. Just yesterday I was walking past the theatre playing Les Miserables. Whether or not I'll be able to find my way back there with any degree of skill may remain to be seen [img]smile.gif[/img] But I'll give it my best shot if the Dog & Duck gets the consensus [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Wandering the streets looking for pubs is all part of the fun anyway

Davros - If I'm ever in Australia (which may be sometime at the end of the year) you'll have to give me a crash-course on cider consumption. Alcoholic Apple-juice 101
Old 03-16-2003, 05:38 PM   #9
Epona
Zartan

If others are OK with the Dog & Duck I can give directions no problem - one of my favourite central London watering holes (Should warn people though, I drink lager so I don't know what 'proper' beers these places have on offer I'm ranking these in terms of ambience!) If it's too crowded there are a few others round that area. But I'm not going in the Intrepid Fox cos I get strange looks in there and it's too noisy.

Charlie or Barry might have other suggestions though, wouldn't want to ride roughshod over anyone else's preferences.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:31 AM   #10
The Hierophant

Right you are Laura.
Charlie, Barry, what do you think?