Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 03-23-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
Detherin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey all, I'm a new member here, but I've browsed the forums for quite some time.

I have recently just started a new solo game (Human Assassin, Neutral Evil. I have Tactics(all components), Ascension and a few of the components from Ease of Use installed. I was just wondering if anyone here would reccomend any other mods?
I am about to fight the Shadow Dragon (just to see if I can handle him)and I'm level 17.

Any hints/tips/mods? ^_^. Anything's welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Detherin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

I have a Fighter / Assassin solo game going though I have not played it in a bit.

Other mods to consider, if you don't have them, would be:
Unfinished Business
Quest Pack
Ashes to Embers
Deeper Shadows of Amn (I have recently added this one and have enjoyed it a good bit)

These mods add a lot of new content as well as some tweaks and such.

Asdie from UAI, the HLA I have found most useful is Assassination. It can be a lifesaver in a tightly packed battle.

Good luck on your run through!

Peace, John.
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

There are a few mods out there. Unfinished Business and Quest Pack are good, but they make the game as a solo a touch easier (there are some FedEx type quests in there.) I would recommend them though.

The Shadow Dragon will not be fun for a solo before HLAs, particularly with the enhancements done by Tactics, in particular the breath weapon. My advice is that the best way to win the battle is to keep your character out of harm's way. Use the Black Spider Figurine, Horn of Valhalla or any other summonings you can do, and try to stay invisible (by hiding & potion) as much as possible.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Detherin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Unfinished Business I was going to try out, but I did get the impression that it was relatively NPC-heavy (mainly quests given if you have certain NPCs). So I decided against it on the whole. But if there are a fare few solo-able quests in UB and Quest Pack, then I'll give them a try ^_^. Thanks.

p.s. I killed the Shadow Dragon (cheesed - trap bombardment and a lucky hit with the Ring of the Ram killed him straight off). I'm now level 24. Going good [img]tongue.gif[/img] Firekraag next [img]tongue.gif[/img] .
Old 03-23-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

You'll probably find that it gets easier now with UAI and the ability to cast spells, like Breach and whatnot from scrolls.

[ 03-23-2006, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: True_Moose ]
Old 03-24-2006, 03:34 AM   #6
Babyseal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Remember: As an assassin you have a powerfull weapon to win some of the more dangerous encounters: Traps!
Many players think traps are cheesy, imo they are a legal option.
Babyseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Light Bulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Babyseal:
Remember: As an assassin you have a powerfull weapon to win some of the more dangerous encounters: Traps!
Many players think traps are cheesy, imo they are a legal option.
Traps aren't cheesy per se. I would compare them to buffing before a big fight that your character shouldn't know is coming - really up to the discretion of the player as to how legal that is. What is definitely cheese is trapping spawn points (Twisted Rune, Watcher's Keep Lvl 5 are the two that come to mind.) I think that you will find most people in agreement with most aspects of that. Unless it's painfully obvious that something very tough is going to spawn where you place the traps - obvious to your characters, that is - you really shouldn't do that.

IMHO, a non-cheesy way of using traps would be trapping a corridor, then shooting a poisoned arrow and drawing enemies across the traps. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
Detherin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Traps were pretty much the only things keeping me alive in the game at the beginning (that and poison weapon). I've also completed the game several times and done a few solo runs, to boot. So I'm no stranger to the game ^_^.

Now I have some decent equipment I can actually face a stand off or two without traps (wielding Scarlet Ninja-To +3 and Belm is very useful indeed, ^_^. I may try and do the top level of Watcher's Keep after I finish the quest I'm on atm. That should make things a little more difficult again, but the rewards are worth it, IMO.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
What is definitely cheese is trapping spawn points (Twisted Rune, Watcher's Keep Lvl 5 are the two that come to mind.)
Trapping spawn points in the Twisted Rune is definitely cheesy: You have no way of knowing that enemeis are going to be teleporting in at all, let alone where they're going to appear. You might drop a Trap or two near the stairway, just on the basis that you've been sucked into a strange dimensional portal and you're almost certainly going to have to fight something and you'd like to have a little "home base" area of your own, but that's about the extent of what can believably be roleplayed.

Trapping the 5th floor of Watcher's Keep, however, is perfectly fine. "Click again to turn the key and release whatever enemies await you" is about as blatant a warning as you're ever going to see. Even if you ignore that bit of text for the first group, you've got some strange issues if you think that you're morally obligated to ignore your knowledge that the 2nd and 3rd keys are going to spawn bad guys, too.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #10
Detherin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Heh, yeah I have a fairly strong grasp of what cheese is. Nevertheless though, I use cheese a lot, it's just how I play. I'll be playing my way through in a minute soon, doubtless with even more cheese ^_^.

Done most of the missions I can for now, I still have to do the planar sphere and planar prison, though.