Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 06:21 AM   #1
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

Are they actually any good? You can't equip them in your off hand can't you? Anyone using these as main weapons?
Old 01-17-2005, 07:29 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Whips can be a really good weapon. I play in a world that is heavily crafting oriented, and have seen some really awsome work done on them. Some of the *out of the box* whips aren't bad either, and lets not overlook the free disarm feat. No, you cannot equip a whip in the off hand, only main hand, but you can then equip another weapon in the off hand.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:18 PM   #3
Darkman

I used a whip as the primary weapon for the drow cleric I took through A Hunt Through The Dark. It was fun, but the damage output was rather low. I pretty much used the whip more for roleplaying reasons than actual combat. The character was primarily a spell caster anyway.

Well, the thing about whips is that they have low base damage (1d2) so they aren't that great for dishing out raw damage. There are some powerful whips in the game that will add elemental damage, but you might want to consider using a supplimental weapon like a short sword in the offhand. The disarm feat is very useful though, especially if your character is capable of doing sneak attack damage. Unfortunately, when NPC's are created in the toolset they are non-disarmable by default so as a result alot of user made modules end up having NPC's that cannot be disarmed. Also, many modules were made before the expansions came out so they won't have whips available for your character unless you bring your own (which I did for the above module).

If I was making another whip using character I would probably use some sort of fighter/rogue multiclass with high Dexterity and get all the dual-weilding feats, Weapon Proficiency Exotic, and Weapon Finesse (whips are weapon finessable).