Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 02-07-2002, 01:13 PM   #1
Darius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was just wondering if Icewind dale was good because i just finished the BG series, and i can say the Baldurs Gate series were the best games I've ever played. so i need a new fix.
Is Icewind dale worth getting and how good is it on 1 to 10
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 05:51 PM   #2
Morgalas Everhate
Dungeon Master

IWD is good. Good hacking around type dungeon with a good plot. The only missing is the huge npc romance/quest/interactions. Either than that, I think it will curb your desires.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:54 PM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

I have not played BG, but read a LOT of comparisons before I decided to get IWD. The consensus seems to be:

1. BG is longer than IWD, with a much more involved plot, and lots of side quests. IWD is fairly linear, with only a few, relatively short, side quests. (IWD is touted as having about 100+ hours of gameplay; so it is not short, just shorter than BG.)

2. BG allows (forces?) you to have NPCs in your party. IWD has no NPCs to join your party; so you decide the party make-up, and personally gen each and every character. (Some find this 30 - 60 minute delay boring; but I enjoyed it so much I spent 4 hours at it [and got some really good characters!].)

3. IWD landscape is much more heavily laden with things that hold ill-will towards your party.

4. IWD has a higher experience cap (Much, MUCH higher with HOW installed); and the game is geared to let you reach those higher levels.

5. Graphics (with HOW installed) are better in IWD.

6. In addition to a whole bunch of slick updates to the interface, and added spells and items, HOW is supposed to add 15 to 25 hours of gameplay. The FREE Trials Of The Luremaster (TOTL) that can be downloaded (72MB) adds about another 20 hours (I think!); so the combined IWD/HOW/TOTL should be worth about 150 hours. (Your mileage might vary, I'm a real slowpoke, and am sure I'll take lots longer than that.)

7. Although HOW got raked over the coals, by the professional reviewers, for lack of EXTRA gameplay (over and above IWD without HOW); I have not heard anyone on this forum who got HOW complain about how they got shafted: It has been exactly the opposite -- The comments have been so rabidly pro-HOW (and TOTL) that I finally capitulated and bought HOW, though I originally had no intent to do so. I think the winning point for HOW is that it overlays the entire package, enhancing the graphics, controls and gameplay for all of the IWD adventure, not just the HOW portion. And the free TOTL overlay adds some more gameplay, making the total extra gameplay something that approaches 50 hours.

In short, the reviews I've seen compare IWD favorably to BG in every way, except length of gameplay, depth of plot, and ability to play in a non-linear fashion.

Hope this helps,
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 07:41 AM   #4
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

I've just begun playing BG again (well, ToSC) after IWD/HoW.....and it reminded me how much I adore IWD over BG!!! IWD's graphics make BG look crude, spell effects, too. Weaponry, etc. is far less varied. True, IWD is a comparative 'dungeon crawl' in that it is rather lineal without many side-quests, and you must determine your own party (well, duh. If I were adventuring for real, I'd think I'd want to have a little more control over who exactly I had with me as well as the possibility of welcoming NPCs.).

Both have their good points and bad...and their diehard fans and opponents. I've heard that BG2 is a lot better graphically and story-wise. I guess I'll see in a couple months when I finally get around to springing for the still rather pricey SoA!