Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-05-2004, 01:55 PM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Imagine this, you are installing bgt, a mod which followers of the baldurs gate series will know all about. So anyway, you do the first part of the instillation and after downloading the bgtinstaller.exe for win98 you begin part 2. This should take about 40minutes. You try it a couple of times for an hour and a half and nothing happens, it seems to be using most of your cpu power however, and trying to do anything else results in a freeze. So you restart your computer, and then you run installa (first part again) Once its finished, you disconnect from the net, and shut down everything you wont be using. (This is firewall, antivirus software etc.) and go off to do some other stuff for a while. After 2 and a half hours nothing has happened and it seems to be working fine (when you press ctrl+alt+del it is shown as not responding which is normal) So deciding you cant be assed staying up any longer you retire to bed, and wake up the next morning one day older (sorry just felt like adding in my birthday) and come downstairs to the computer. Hmmm. You find that the taskbar is up with the supposed 40minute instillation not finished along with another program called unknown running (which is also not responding. Strange you think, then you restart your computer. as you load up you let scandisk run and it comes up with some error which can only be fixed through a windows scandisk. Then as your computer is just about to load the desktop an error comes up. "unable to load the dynamic link library msnp32.dll" strange you think, but you press ok. Then the desktop loads and another 2 errors come up Error starting program A required .DLL file, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SVRAPI.DLL was not found you press OK, only to find another error come up, Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Program:C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\HPIS\BIN\MAD.EXE

That is exactly what happened to me!

I had to rush however, so after receiving the messages I shutdown. I come on tonight only to find that the messages come back again, but also that net wont run, everything has gone kind of weird (net toolbar etc.) I cannot connect to the net, I cannot access Dial up networking, and my computer etc. has a different toolbar than it did last night. That is all I have investigated so far and I am currently posting this from another computer. So what the hell is this? The only thing I can think of is that somehow my computer connected itself to the internet and I got some virus.

What should I do?

Thanks for any help,
Ross
Old 05-05-2004, 04:24 PM   #2
dplax
Jack Burton

Could be syware. So I would check with Adaware and Spybot S&D first. Then check with some virus scan program. Trouble is since you cannot connect to the net you can't do an online one, so you would have to get the program from somewhere else. Then if this doesn't help wait for someone more experienced than me to help.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

done spyware and virus scan, nothing.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:27 PM   #4
dplax
Jack Burton

Worst case scenario would be that you transfer your files to another computer and reinstall windows.

EDIT: I am not sure whether win98 can, but later windowses ( ) can repair themselves so you might try that aswell.

[ 05-05-2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: dplax ]
Old 05-05-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I suppose Il do a reinstall of windows, hopefully that will fix net etc.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:58 PM   #6
Wysardry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

One question: did you actually manage to run the Windoze version of scandisk? If not, that would explain all those file errors, as DOS did say it couldn't fix some errors on the disk.

If Windoze wouldn't let you do that, then booting up in safe mode is probably your best bet.

Press and hold the F8 key just after the BIOS messages finish appearing on the screen and just before Windoze starts to load. A menu should then appear giving you several options.

Once in safe mode, ignore the fact that you only have 16 colours and run scandisk on all drives. Once that's done, you can restart normally.