Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2004, 01:22 AM   #31
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

What brought the bear to the lodge?
Why was the trash bin locked?
Why did the bear die a "painless" death?

FREAKING STUPID PEOPLE. That's why!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:24 AM   #32
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
in short, lack of fear and severe hunger. that bear wandered into the middle of a camp of 500 people. thats a pretty significant number of people for a bear to waltz into the middle of. either the bear had grown used to people by pillaging the campsite across the lake, or it had become so starved that it was willing to brave 500 unfamiliar beings. not good for the people involved.

reasonably, it was there to eat the garbage locked in a dumpster behind the lodge so that it could be boated out the next morning (remote location requires garbage to be removed in boatloads daily)

Quote:
Why was the trash bin locked?
To discourage animals from trying to take food on a repeated basis. if a bear, or any wild animal finds an easy source of food, it comes back again and again. if it can't get in, it will generally leave after a short time and then generally not return. This bear happened to be so hungry that it refused to leave even when physically attacked. it was willing to fight a creature it should have been reasonably afraid of for that food.

Quote:
Why did the bear die a "painless" death?
well, a bullet from a rifle travels several hundred meters per second. being shot through the head meant that the bear's nervous system was no longer intact when the pain would have registered. namely the bears brain was pudding before the bear would have been able to feel it. im willing to bet it hadnt even registered the flash and sound before it was dead, bruce was a dead eye... a crack shot, that bear was dead instantly.

Quote:
FREAKING STUPID PEOPLE. That's why!
actually, quite reasonable people... we're talking about a camp that's been there for 60 odd years. before that it was a lumber camp for more than 90 years. bears hadnt visited that territory for nearly a hundred years when the camp was built, and its only been recently they came back. in this case, the camp was there before the bears.

and what if the bear had gone on to kill a child? we're talking about an innocent scout camp of children with a bear who diliberately and unfearingly walked into the middle of a population center. stupid people? stupid bear is more like it. I have no pity for a vicious large predator which has no fear of people, it needs to die to protect human life.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:55 AM   #33
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
and what if the bear had gone on to kill a child? we're talking about an innocent scout camp of children with a bear who diliberately and unfearingly walked into the middle of a population center.

There's no such thing as innocence.

Quote:
stupid people? stupid bear is more like it. I have no pity for a vicious large predator which has no fear of people, it needs to die to protect human life.
Or humans need to die to protect the bear.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #34
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
quote:
in short, lack of fear and severe hunger. that bear wandered into the middle of a camp of 500 people. thats a pretty significant number of people for a bear to waltz into the middle of. either the bear had grown used to people by pillaging the campsite across the lake, or it had become so starved that it was willing to brave 500 unfamiliar beings. not good for the people involved.

reasonably, it was there to eat the garbage locked in a dumpster behind the lodge so that it could be boated out the next morning (remote location requires garbage to be removed in boatloads daily)[/QUOTE]So, 500 people went into bear country to camp out, with a locked dumpster full of trash / food and await a bear to waltz in. Then what? Oh yes, beat it, then kill it.

Quote:
quote:
[qb]Why was the trash bin locked?
To discourage animals from trying to take food on a repeated basis. if a bear, or any wild animal finds an easy source of food, it comes back again and again. if it can't get in, it will generally leave after a short time and then generally not return. This bear happened to be so hungry that it refused to leave even when physically attacked. it was willing to fight a creature it should have been reasonably afraid of for that food.[/QUOTE]Ok, so we are now teasing wildlife, for what? Entertainment?

Quote:
quote:
[qb]Why did the bear die a "painless" death?
well, a bullet from a rifle travels several hundred meters per second. being shot through the head meant that the bear's nervous system was no longer intact when the pain would have registered. namely the bears brain was pudding before the bear would have been able to feel it. im willing to bet it hadnt even registered the flash and sound before it was dead, bruce was a dead eye... a crack shot, that bear was dead instantly.[/QUOTE]What caliber was used? What was the grain weight of the bullet? What type of bullet was it? A bear has a very think skull, known to cause bullets to ricochet, are you sure the bear died right that second? Or, was he knocked unconscience from the force of impact, and died a slow painfull death throughout the night?

Quote:
quote:
[qb]FREAKING STUPID PEOPLE. That's why!
actually, quite reasonable people... we're talking about a camp that's been there for 60 odd years. before that it was a lumber camp for more than 90 years. bears hadnt visited that territory for nearly a hundred years when the camp was built, and its only been recently they came back. in this case, the camp was there before the bears.

and what if the bear had gone on to kill a child? we're talking about an innocent scout camp of children with a bear who diliberately and unfearingly walked into the middle of a population center. stupid people? stupid bear is more like it. I have no pity for a vicious large predator which has no fear of people, it needs to die to protect human life.
[/QUOTE]So, all said, you folks have been teasing bears, in wilderness country for the past 150 years? And have killed so many of the innocent bears who are in their home turf, they are exstinct? Well, doesn't sound to resaonble to me!

Ah, what's it called? The circle of life. No, that's for wildlife self maintenance. Oh, yes, evolution of stupid people.

In all honesty, did that innocent bear have to die? It could have been just as easy to have continued to chase him away. Or better yet, why didn't YOU leave? But no, you had to kill that innocent bear.

Do you know why he was unafraid of your camp workers? Could it be he has been feed by tourist', and other camp workers, etc? But you come along, big bad macho with a gun, and have to have a 'Dead Eye" shot shoot him. Did you ever think about feeding him?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:46 PM   #35
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

*Flips back several pages in mental notebook*

Yep, there it is. Never argue with Felix about death

*Puts notebook back*
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:08 PM   #36
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Simply put, the boy screwed up. he didnt do what he was supposed to, but he did get away and thats a GOOD thing. we should never be angered because someone managed not to get killed. The bear, unfortunately, was beyond help, it would have come back again and again, getting more and more bold each time. this is observable nature, it would have happened.

I, however, have a great bear (killing) story if anyone is interested, one that makes that kid look like nothing.
Yeah, well, I'm all for people being eaten. I think the natural weakness of humanity has been offset by the power of their technology, with ecologically disastrous results. The more often people get 'caught' without their guns, the better. I guess that's where you and I differ [img]smile.gif[/img] No shame in that thought. We'll just have to be opponents is all.
And I'm interested in hearing your bear-killing story.
[/QUOTE]Dontcha get it dude? The intellect and the tech that comes with it IS our strength! We survive in ALL environments with help from our intellect and overcome ALL predators regularly. Don't go getting all righteous on us. You live in a house, you've been immunized, you travel, etc., etc. That means that you use plenty of the technology you despise and use plenty of the environmental resources you cherish. Living is living and everyone does it at a price.

[ 05-03-2004, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Sir Kenyth ]
Old 05-03-2004, 02:54 PM   #37
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am having trouble believing some of you people are being serious. I am more likely to believe you're playing devil's advocate and are purposely making up stuff just to be debating.
If you are being serious, I have a question for you.
Do you kill the angry bears that come after you on Baulder's Gate when you get too close to one, and do not have a ranger in your party to calm them down?
If you don't, then I suggest dropping this world of sitting on your rear at the monitor and go do what you were meant to do. Be a park ranger. The National Wildlife Society is hiring apprentices I hear. I was unaware that we had so many IW members that qualified!

[ 05-03-2004, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 05-03-2004, 06:05 PM   #38
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

You know, I think people who think the world would be better off without mankind would do best to start with themselves.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:16 PM   #39
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have another question. Are all of you Vegetarians? That would explain your responses. I mean, the brutality and terrible way that they slaughter those poor cows to give me a hamburger is horrid! And what about the milk? The cows are always plugged up to milking machines, I could go on and on.

Oh yeah...I wear leather shoes as well! A poor animal had to die to give me some new shoes. Damn humanity!
Old 05-03-2004, 06:19 PM   #40
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
You know, I think people who think the world would be better off without mankind would do best to start with themselves.
I read in the UNCG campus paper that there is a religion that practices these beliefs! No kidding! I wish I could remember their website. They feel that humanity needs to be reduced in size for the betterment of the world. I even saw them picketing outside campus and I HAD to ask them why they had not begun practicing their religion yet. They said that they had to get the message out first before they removed themselves, so that others would carry on the work in a timely fashion, or something like that. Man...I wish I had that website link...I wonder if some of you guys would join.