Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2004, 06:44 AM   #1
GokuZool
Lord Ao

As you may know, my computer has seen better days.

It's old, slow and cluttered and therefore, I'm getting a new one.

I just need some advice.

I'm thinking about getting a Dell, more specifically, a Dimension 8300.

Pentium 4 with HT technology, 3.2Ghz
Windows XP - Home Edition
1024MB DDR SDRAM (Is 512MB sufficient?)
80GB HD (Enough? 120GB?)
128MB nVidia GeForce FX 5200 (Opinions on this card)
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card (Ditto)
DVD + RW Combo Drive (Does this mean there are 2 drives i.e. put CD/DVD in one, put another CD/DVD in other and burn? Also, can it burn all DVD formats?)
Speakers with Subwoofer
17' CRT Monitor (Should I get a flat screen instead? What are the benefits of flat screen monitors and do they get "dead pixels?")

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2004, 07:27 AM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:
As you may know, my computer has seen better days.

It's old, slow and cluttered and therefore, I'm getting a new one.

I just need some advice.

I'm thinking about getting a Dell, more specifically, a Dimension 8300.

Pentium 4 with HT technology, 3.2Ghz
Windows XP - Home Edition
1024MB DDR SDRAM (Is 512MB sufficient?)
80GB HD (Enough? 120GB?)
128MB nVidia GeForce FX 5200 (Opinions on this card)
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card (Ditto)
DVD + RW Combo Drive (Does this mean there are 2 drives i.e. put CD/DVD in one, put another CD/DVD in other and burn? Also, can it burn all DVD formats?)
Speakers with Subwoofer
17' CRT Monitor (Should I get a flat screen instead? What are the benefits of flat screen monitors and do they get "dead pixels?")

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Get 120 gigs minimum. 512 RAM should be enough... Yes, the combo is two drive. Flatscreens are much nicers, but they have a lower refresh rate. My friend is jealous of my flatscreen. He's trying to get one now.

My friend bought almost the same computer and really love it.

The card is good by the way. Almost everyone I talk to has it, including me. But if you can afford it, you could try the Ati they are offering.

Their windows Xp is customised and my friend don't like it, as they bundled some questionable programs with it. I sugest once you get the computer that you format it and reinstall your old OS.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

well 80 gig will do just fine since you have a writer anyway.. video card will last you 2yrs at least unless there is a radical change in video card. 1024 ram is good enough.. dont go to 512.. so this computer will last you for a long time thats for sure

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-27-2004, 08:24 AM   #4
Link
Jack Burton

Video card will most likely NOT last for two years, because the change in these things is enormous. Only a year ago you could get along very well with a Geforce 4Ti4600.. Nowadays, it is advised to buy a better one.

This doens't mean the Geforce FX5200 isn't a good card. I think you made a good choice there [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2004, 09:21 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

I meant in gaming link . i feel that when it comes to games a gforcefx200 can play the minimum requirements of the more hardcore video games for at least two years. of course by then that kind of video card would be obsolete.. actually.. it already is .

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-27-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
well 80 gig will do just fine since you have a writer anyway.. video card will last you 2yrs at least unless there is a radical change in video card. 1024 ram is good enough.. dont go to 512.. so this computer will last you for a long time thats for sure
You don't need one gig or RAM. My most demanding game use up only 250 or so Megs. That leave enough for windows and the background programs. There is not a lot of game that even come close to using that much RAM.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:50 PM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

well with kotor.. recommended is 512.. i was chugging it along with 256 though . so if your also doing any winxp application (which is a memory hogger) i would say 1024 is better safe then sorry eh if your running games recommended for winxp.

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-28-2004, 06:05 AM   #8
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Thanks for the feedback! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Flatscreens are much nicers, but they have a lower refresh rate.
A lower refresh rate?

Quote:
You don't need one gig or RAM.
I'll be using the comp. generally for media, photos, graphic design and manipulation and playing a few games on the side. I've heard graphics programs are hardware intensive and require a powerful processer, so I'm still debating whether it's worth paying a bit extra for a bit more RAM.

Quote:
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card
Anyone know anything on this card?

Quote:
Yes, the combo is two drive
Can someone find me a pick of this actually in a tower? Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]

-----

As Dell always have special deals and offers, I'm waiting until one comes with a flatscreen, 1024MB RAM and DVD + RW Combo Drive. You end up saving quite a bit of money! [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW, I'm trying to keep the price below $2000 (AUS)

[ 04-28-2004, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 04-28-2004, 06:08 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

well i for one dont care about sound card.. im deaf in a way [img]tongue.gif[/img] .. but sound blaster live is good in my opinion. sound blaster live has always been good.

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-29-2004, 06:32 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I'll be using the comp. generally for media, photos, graphic design and manipulation and playing a few games on the side. I've heard graphics programs are hardware intensive and require a powerful processer, so I'm still debating whether it's worth paying a bit extra for a bit more RAM.
Get one gig if you are planing on doing huge photos, but otherwise you don't really need more.

I have Windows XP, I have 512 megs of RAM. I always have Norton Antivirus, Msn Messenger, Zone Alarm Pro, Winamp and various other toolbars apps open, and I can play games like Need for Speed Underground, Lineage II, Prince of Persia Sands of Time... With all setting to the max, and I get no problems.

But of course you might as well take extra RAM now if you can afford it, but it won't really get used.

Quote:
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
My friend has that sound Card. He bought a Dell too. There's nothing wrong with it.

With the duo there would be two drive instead of one.

Refresh rate on flatscreens are usually 60 mhz.

[ 04-29-2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]