Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2001, 12:48 AM   #1
G.W.

Azuredge is way overrated in my opinion. Reason? It's +3 thaco, but it is +0 damage. It is only useful against the undead and it's slow so you only get one throw off before they are on you, unless you're running around. The +3 throwing axe you find is better than that.

Old 01-19-2001, 07:03 AM   #2
Hagar

I'm pretty sure all the people who finished the game and run around with their fany +X weapons might not agree, but I think the weapon you should buy at the beginning and give to someone who can use an Axe is the throwing Axe +2 Azuredge.
It can be bought in the Copper Coronet. I not only kills undead, like vampires with the first hit, it is also an excellent weapon against Golem. With this the Iron Golem and Adamantite Golem are absolutly no problem. Just stay away from them, so they can't reach you with their huge fists or Cloudkill and let go. It works also fine against Stone Golem, but is useless against Clay Golems.

Old 01-19-2001, 07:06 AM   #3
Armisael

It's +3, and the best axe in the game. Only downside is Korgan can't use it. Then again, my character's proficient in axes, too. It's one of my favourites.

Old 01-19-2001, 08:07 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Rifthome Axe +3 is just as good, except for the fact that it doesn't have the potential to instantly kill undead. Speed factors and damage are the same. And this one Korgan CAN use.
Old 01-19-2001, 08:13 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Speaking of ranged weapons, did anyone notice that the Boomerang Dagger +2 does 2d4 +2 points of damage? The Firetooth dagger +3 does 2d4+3 damage. That's more than Azureedge or Rifthome!
Old 01-19-2001, 08:26 AM   #6
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Azuredge is pretty good, but I'm fairly partial to Lilacor. +3 2-hander that provides mind shield and has some hilarious dialog...

I also like to carry around daystar so that if I get in a place with big time undead, I can just equip it and cast sunray. TOAST! No more undead!

The only thing about Azuredge is that I'm starting to doubt that it can waste undead with one hit (if they fail a save, of course). I haven't seen that happen yet, and I've used the axe quite a bit... Perhaps I'm doing something wrong???
Old 01-19-2001, 08:34 AM   #7
Armisael

Yeah, rifthome's what I give to Korgan. You can only get it when you work for Bodhi, but it's a damn nice weapon. And what the hell's with this '2d4' business? Daggers are meant to do one bloody d4. Less, since it's a throwing weapon... no, I s'pose it's physically impossible to have a die with less than four sides. But 2d4 damage? That's like throwing a bastard sword!

Old 01-19-2001, 08:35 AM   #8
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well one of the best weapons early is in my opinion Cleric staff +4, itīs a +4 weapons and good against Golems and undead..
I also like the axes in this game but I donīt like Korgan, well call me a wuzz but I donīt..

Liliacor is good too, and Daystar too but I wouldnīt call that exactly a weapon for the start, like to wait some before going up against the lich garding it perhaps??

X bow of searing and strong arm are also good weapons and also slings, alot of good slings in the game too..
Old 01-19-2001, 08:42 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Armo, i was amazed when i equipped Edwin with the Boomerang Dagger at how much damage he was doing throwing that pissy little thing. More damage than Viconia was doing with a +1 scimitar.
Old 01-19-2001, 08:48 AM   #10
Armisael

Bah, what bullshit. That's got to be wrong.