Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2003, 04:10 PM   #1
Russ
Manshoon

I was talking to my wife last night (beginning gamer), and she thinks she might enjoy the challenge of soloing. Nuts from my perspective (I live for the party interactions), but there it is... as a beginner trying her hand at it, which quests might she do w/o getting frustrated to tears? She's got a penchant for paladins, but I don't know exactly what she'll do.

but being a beginner, I'm wondering if folks can make any recommendations: she's going to make a character tonight, in about three hours...

tnx,

Russ
Old 06-19-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

Possible Spoiler!!
~
~
~
~
~
~
It is very smart while soloing to avoid difficult enemies in the beginning. Therefore I advise you/your wife to do quests like The Unseeying Eye, the Windspear Hills and such later on in the game.
Possible quests that are rather easy, or easier in each case, are the de'Arnise Hold, and the Temple Ruins. Of course, there are some enemies there that can indeed pose a threat, but they are quite doable once you've done a couple of minor quests in Athkatla (like the Skinner Murders, the Graveyard minor quests (Wellyn, The Paladin and the Orphan for instance).

Good luck! Don't take my post as a guidline, and try to found out most of the things yourself!

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 04:18 PM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

It is not advisable to solo SoA for the first time you play it for several reasons
a.) difficulty (you're alone and missing out on crucial abilities your class doesn't have)
b.) no party interactions and character quests (which will lead you to nice items, XP and lighten up the straight story a bit)
c.) no romances

Soloing takes away a lot of roleplaying from SoA and makes it IMHO less attractive to the first time player.

If she MUST do it however I would suggest to do the typical easy chapter 2 quests (slavers, circus) and the Umar Hills quest which is like MADE for a paladin. Trademeet could be nice too but I wouldn't try Windspear Hills unless she's planning on leaving the host alone.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
Alson
Galvatron

Easy quests, eh? Well, let's see (no particular order)...

The Circus Tent is an obvious choice.

Stealing the Amulet from the Weathermistress is an easy 20K worth of XP.

With a single Pro-Undead scroll, most of the Graveyard's crypts can be wiped clean.

Trademeet. Say no more. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Then we have the easy-yet-tedious errands quests - Wellyn & his Teddy Bear, the Orphan, the dealings with the Harpers, etc...

That should do, right? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-19-2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Alson ]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 04:25 PM   #5
Raistlin Majere
Ra

lets see...

1)circus(waukeens promenade)
2)copper coronet slavers quest: free hendak and the slave(note: do NOT go to the slaver stockade at early levels. its the ship, to which hendak wants you to go after you free him)
3)Renals(and Maevars) quests
4)umar hills errand jobs(dont go to the temple ruins in early levels)
5)trademeet(LOTS of quests, exp and powerful equipment there)
6)de'arnise keep(i recommend you have some kind of confusion protection before going there. aegers hide(powerful leather armor you can buy from the adventurers mart) or Lilarcor(+3 two handed sword. you get it from the sewers under the copper coronet).
7)by now youre high enough level to go nearly anywhere. i would not recommend soloing if you are a first timer though. first of all: the beginning IS tough, before you get some levels and get to know the game, and secondly: the party interactions and banters are about half the game(!), in my opinion.

edit: damn, beaten by 3 people. thats what you get for thinking a few minutes...

[ 06-19-2003, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Raistlin Majere ]

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
lets see...
the temple quest is easy even on low levels if you are a Paladin or a cleric IMHO
Old 06-19-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
Russ
Manshoon

Thanks for the quick replies... she's not a total newbie... just kinda close to one... has played through the more basic athkatla chap. 2 quests... (though now I'm feeling incompetent myself, having never come up with an answer for two of the mentioned graveyard side quests.... ::embarrassed look:: guess I"ll have to go poke around that one myself once I'm done getting jumped by the Knives...
Old 06-19-2003, 04:56 PM   #8
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
lets see...
the temple quest is easy even on low levels if you are a Paladin or a cleric IMHO [/QUOTE]well, it depends

spoilers
the bonegolem(though fighting it is optional) and the skeleton warriors can prove to be a bit of a challenge for low level characters, especially on solo. even the shade lord and company can prove to be challenging for, lets say a level 10 pally on solo. it does have an awful lot to do with what kind of tactic you use.

Old 06-19-2003, 04:59 PM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

The Shade Lord is most enjoyable with a solo high level Cleric.. I think you can guess why... BABOOM!!!!!
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 05:34 PM   #10
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
The Shade Lord is most enjoyable with a solo high level Cleric.. I think you can guess why... BABOOM!!!!!
i think you misspelt baboon there...oh, not quite what you meant