Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2003, 08:14 AM   #1
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Who of these characters makes the most worthy tank:

Aerie
Imoen
Nalia
Viconia

Comments:

Aerie: Combined cleric and mage buffs, probably the biggest list of usable equipment for any pre-ToB character (strength modification assumed). Bad Con.

Imoen: Ownage stats, except for strength. Can wear elven chain, or even Shadow Dragon Scales (with a hefty decrease of usefulness however).

Viconia: No mage levels should mean better fighting abilities. Question is whether the perk is too tiny to have any real relevance. Wide selection of good armours, even without strength modification.

Nalia: Ownage stats. Cool con, but that is offset by her mage hit dice. Actually pretty strong. Can use elven chains and is the most obvious candidate for the Robe of Vecna in my all-female party.

I would immediately think that Aerie is the best choice, but I included all in case I've overseen some factor.

[ 05-26-2003, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: Indemaijinj ]
Old 05-26-2003, 08:28 AM   #2
Raistlin Majere
Ra

indeed, it would probably be Aerie, since she can cast like holy power, Righteous magic, DUHM and tensers transformation(awsome tanking spell), so thats pretty much why aerie makes the best tank out of those 4. mazzy would also make a good tank for an all female party.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:42 AM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Yes go for Aerie. but Viconia is very good with Belt of X Giant Strength and Sling of Seeking or Everad. Strength bonus is included so give her Boots Of Speed and she can do wonders
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:09 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

This is a very strange list of choices for tank material, but yes, Aerie is the best tank among the four of them.

In terms of being a pretty unhittable, unholdable, unaffectable, immuned to just about everything but Wing Buffet, Aerie is the lady for you.

On the flip side, she has the most damage potential as well.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 11:07 AM   #5
Faceman
Hathor

Go for Viconia have some patience with her and search for a certain Warhammer
Old 05-26-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
Go for Viconia have some patience with her and search for a certain Warhammer
Which could just as well be given to Aerie.

The only perk with respect to tanking that Viconia has over Aerie is some few extra HP and the ability to cast all spells while wearing a high end Plate Mail.

Aerie can be equipped with a high end robe (I think Robe of the Good Archmagi fits best with her concept) and a lot of other complimenting AC items.

What makes Aerie shine, however, is the chance to use both mage and cleri buffs as mentioned before.

Their stats are almost identical.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:28 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Aerie has one huge advantage over Viconia in terms of buffing up.

Sequencers and Contingencies.

ADD] Girdle of Constitution settles the HP issue for both Aerie and Viconia. They can always get their STR from the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength.

[ 05-26-2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 05-26-2003, 11:49 AM   #8
Nerull
Lord Ao

In early game, I would probably go with Viconia, just because you won't have as many spell slots to fill with buffs as you will later on. Thus, Viconia wearing armor will make her stronger than Aerie as a tank in the beginning. However, once you get the right equipment on Aerie (I disagree about the Robe of the Good Archmagi; she is just plain awesome with the Robe of Vecna). She will surpass Viconia, especially with some levels under her (i.e. more spell slots for buffs). However, when going against opponents that like to dispel magic a lot, those extra buffs for Aerie won't last long.

Honestly, I would go with another character as your tank (Mazzy or even Jaheira, if you are going all female). That's not to say you could use Aerie or Viconia as tanks, but having to cast all of those buffs before tanking is rather high maintenance.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 12:08 PM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Dispel? What Dispel? Spell Immunity:Abjuration to the rescue! As I said... Aerie is able to be immuned to just about everything but Wing Buffet.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:54 PM   #10
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

It is not that the Robe of Vecna isn't good on Aerie, I just plan on using it on another character who can throw more timestops.