Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

Mad How should I reply to this email?

These are a series of emails between me and the program coordinator for my summer research program. I have a trip to Santa Barbara in a couple of weeks, for a meeting for my program) so I had booked a round trip ticket but I accidentally booked the wrong return date (a month later). My program (FLRS) was supposed to cover the flight. I bought a new return ticket and so my emails are about if the program can cover the additional cost of the new ticket. Now I believe the program coordinator sent me a rude email (the last email) so I want to know how I should reply. I typed up an email but I'm not sure if I should send that because it may be too rude? And this person is the program coordinator so that person could screw me over later.

The names I used are not the real names. Jennifer - Program coordinator, John - Me

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jennifer,

I somehow booked the return date for my first ticket for July 27 instead of June 27. So the cheapest option I could find was to purchase a new return ticket (it was cheaper than changing the date). The cost of the first ticket was $470 and the new ticket is $270 which comes to a total of $740. I saw that FLRS would cover up to $490 for tickets from UIUC, but I was hoping that the second ticket could possibly be covered as well? I would really appreciate if something could be worked out. The itinerary for the new ticket can be found below.

Thanks,

John
-----------------------------------------------------------------

John,

HI! I am sorry that you made a mistake in purchasing the wrong date for your return ticket. I have asked the accounting folks at FLRS and unfortunately the accounting rules are very strict we can only reimburse to for the flights that you actually take on the dates of the Orientation Meeting. We will not be able to reimburse you for your ticket on July 27th. You might be able to apply that ticket towards your trip to the symposium in August, and that is the best option you have to recover some of your costs. If you had contacted myself or Bob James before you bought a new ticket then we might have been able to help you figure out the best solution, but at this point there is not much we can do to help you out. We can pay for only your flight to and from Reno on June 23rd or 24th and your return ticket on June 27th. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this.

Thank you

Jennifer

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jennifer,

So just to clear things up, I have one round-trip ticket (June 23 Chicago to Santa Barbara, July 27 Santa Barbara to Chicago) - $480. I also have a one-way ticket (June 27 Santa Barbara to Chicago) - $270. I would be using both these tickets for flights on the dates of the orientation meeting, I would just not be using the second half of the first ticket. Would FLRS cover both the tickets since they are flights that I would take on the dates of the Orientation Meeting. This seems to fall within the accounting rules. I think you may have thought I bought 3 separate tickets, which is not the case. Again, I would very much appreciate if you can inquire about this for me.

Thanks,

--------------------------------------------------------

John --
Apparently, I was not clear. We can only pay for one round trip, if we were to pay for both of your ticket we would paying for a leg of flight you will not be taking. So we can pay for one round trip only, we will not be able to reimburse you for the extra ticket you purchased. These are government rules and we cannot bend them. I would advise you to contact the airline and see if you can apply the credit for the July flight to another flight.

thank you

Jennifer

----------------------------------------------------------
So I thought this last email was pretty rude.... I'm not sure how to reply to this. Can you give me your suggestions. Was she not being rude in the first place? Should I not be wasting time with this? Should I let her have it? Should I let it go?

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams

Last edited by thecarrotdude; 06-12-2010 at 11:40 PM.
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Re: How should I reply to this email?

Well, her tone might not have been what one would call friendly. It was however, from what I can see, very businesslike. She accepted responsibility that she didn't explain very well. (her fault, not yours) She explains that the reimbursement rules are gov't regulated and can't be altered, though they wish they could help. She suggests you contact the airline and see if they can't credit the other ticket toward a future flight.

Very much all business in that last letter, but not quite rude. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to write a letter telling someone that you cannot accomodate their requests, and make it sound nice.

My advice, and it is only advice (to be taken or left at your discretion), is to thank her for her time and consideration of your request. Possibly lamentation and understanding that she was unable to aid you. And something to the effect (affect? never could figure out which to use when) that you'll look into her advice.

just my two cents, of course.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
Well, her tone might not have been what one would call friendly. It was however, from what I can see, very businesslike. She accepted responsibility that she didn't explain very well. (her fault, not yours) She explains that the reimbursement rules are gov't regulated and can't be altered, though they wish they could help. She suggests you contact the airline and see if they can't credit the other ticket toward a future flight.

Very much all business in that last letter, but not quite rude. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to write a letter telling someone that you cannot accomodate their requests, and make it sound nice.

My advice, and it is only advice (to be taken or left at your discretion), is to thank her for her time and consideration of your request. Possibly lamentation and understanding that she was unable to aid you. And something to the effect (affect? never could figure out which to use when) that you'll look into her advice.

just my two cents, of course.
I second this opinion.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Yea, there's not much you can do if you made the mistake. The email wasn't rude by the way. It just seems that way because you're not getting the outcome you desire. You made a mistake and now she can't help you unfortunately. It's the same if you stuff up on booking a regular ticket - the airline MAY help you for making a mistake, but they are not ENTITLED to. You made a mistake, you clicked the wrong date. So you need to frame your tone accordingly because your negotiating position is weak.

What you CAN do is thank her and say something along the lines of "While I'm disappointed in this outcome, I understand the position you are in and I appreciate your efforts to assist me given that the initial error was mine. In future I will ensure you are engaged earlier should mishaps like this occur again" which 1) allows you to express your disappointment and 2) let her know that you're not disappointed in her but the system and 3) give her a bit of a guilt trip in a subtle way while accepting responsibility. You do NOT want to piss her off as she did nothing wrong, you did. I would even go so far as to do this in a phone call if you can rather than an email for the personal touch.

Then I suggest you make a phone call to the airline and see if they can help you out, but don't get your hopes up. See if something can be worked out, and if they don't want to give you your money back be prepared to accept other forms of restitution (e.g. credits toward future flights, etc). If you are a frequent flyer of the airline this will help out bigtime (maybe you should sign up before you make the call if it's free to do so). Do a phone call, not an email. It's a lot harder to say no to someone in person than in an email.

Good luck mate

Last edited by Memnoch; 06-13-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

You want rude? Here's rude... you need to buck up and take responsibility for YOUR mistake.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I dont think her reply was rude, it really seems theres nothing she can do.

I definitely sympathise with you. I did the EXACT same thing last year for a trip to my sisters. I'm guessing you did it online like I did and likely made the same mistake. Yes, it was ultimatly my fault but I think they set it up (in my case USAir) to make it easy to screw up so you have to buy another ticket.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
You want rude? Here's rude... you need to buck up and take responsibility for YOUR mistake.
I don't care about not getting the money you old fart. The reason the email seemed rude was because it seemed condescending when she said "Apparently I wasn't clear". Now go make a contribution to society by jumping off a cliff.

Everyone else, thanks for your advise.

EDIT: Okay I sent the email, I took your advice guys. Thanks!
ElfBane I'm sorry about saying you should jump off a cliff. You shouldn't do that. You probably only have a couple of years left anyway.

- Milton Waddams

Last edited by thecarrotdude; 06-13-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

"Oh my starz" @ frayed tempers.

Anyways, the airline, unless they are assholes, should be able to help you. You may end up paying a small fee for changing it but really, if you are dead nice and get a nice person when you call, they should be able to fix this for you. The longer you leave it the more suspicious it will look though. I have changed flights before that were seemingly already set in stone. At the time they charged me around $25 for the modification. Not too bad.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

Happy Laughing Re: How should I reply to this email?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
"Oh my starz" @ frayed tempers.

Anyways, the airline, unless they are assholes, should be able to help you. You may end up paying a small fee for changing it but really, if you are dead nice and get a nice person when you call, they should be able to fix this for you. The longer you leave it the more suspicious it will look though. I have changed flights before that were seemingly already set in stone. At the time they charged me around $25 for the modification. Not too bad.
Oh man I think you were really lucky. What happened the first time I called was that they said they charge a fee ($150) plus the difference in fare ($300, not sure what that means) So it would have cost $450 just to change the date of the flight. I haven't called them back yet but I feel like they wouldn't credit the second flight towards another ticket. Well I guess I'll give them a call today.

- Milton Waddams
Old 06-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

If you tell them you don't have the cash, and that you made a genuine mistake and are gutted etc. they might waiver some or all fees. Try like 2 times to see if you get another person. If they refuse, as a last resort, ask to speak to a supervisor, tell him the story, tell him you know you messed up and if there's any way they could help you fix it. If you acknowledge to them that you made a mistake rather than say they did anything wrong, they will instantly become nicer because you aren't accusing them of anything. Instead, it will be you appealing to the supervisor to have a kind heart. 9 out of 10 times they will waiver the fees (they can do so in a few clicks and not have to explain it). When I worked in a travel agency we could do this under exceptional circumstances. Your mission is to make your situation into one.