Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2003, 05:20 AM   #11
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
quote:
Originally posted by cerandil:
Alacrity (Alteration)
Level: 5
Range: 0
Duration: 1 Turn
Casting Time 1
Area of Effect: Caster

The use of an alacrity spell allows the wizard to speed up the casting of spells. All casting times are reduced by 2. Only spells cast within the alacrity spell's duration are affected.
Maybe I'm not getting that right but:
Since you can only cast one spell/turn Alacrity would only affect the next spell or even worse nothing.
Wouldn't it be like: Cast Alacrity -> casting time reduced, wait for next round to cast next spell -> next round starts spellcasting is possible but Alacrity has already expired.
[/QUOTE]hold on, spells are cast once per round, right? 1 turn=10 rounds, right? 1round=6 seconds, thus 1 turn equals 60 seconds. that would mean that after being cast, it would effect the next 10 spells.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:05 AM   #12
andrewas
Harper

My god, the cheese potential. Cast project image, timestop,improved alacrity, alacrity - suddenly you can cast almost every attack spell with zero cast time. ADHW becomes cast time 1 instead of 3, mordenkainens sword becomes cast time 0 instead of 2 - in general, a lot of high end spells that dont work well within PRATI, because they have too long a cast time, suddenly become a lot more useful.

A better version of the spell might be:
Quote:
Alacrity (Alteration)
Level: 5
Range: 0
Duration: 1 Turn
Casting Time 5
Area of Effect: Caster

The use of an alacrity spell allows the wizard to speed up the casting of spells. Two spells may be cast per round for the spells duration.
This one makes more sense, since it behaves as a weaker version of the Improved Alacrity spell, rather than just a spell-haste. And its more powerful on its own, but dosent have the cheese potential when combined with Improved Alacrity.

Any comments?
Old 07-01-2003, 06:38 AM   #13
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
My god, the cheese potential.
Heh... my first impression, too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Any comments?
Oh... I'm not sure this one is actually better. Who needs sequencers and triggers with this baby? [img]tongue.gif[/img] And it's lower in level, too! And affects all spells (as opposed to: "sequencers can only hold spells of level..."), to boot!

Overly mighty, if you ask me. Make the duration... 4 rounds, instead. Still not bad for a 5th level, especially since 5th level spells that are not Brech, Animate Dead (level > 15) or Spell Immunity tend to blow.

[ 07-01-2003, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Alson ]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:04 AM   #14
McHaggis
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Well to all you modders out there: make a quest where you'll be followed by some priests of Vecna for owning the cloak. Eventually you'll be able to defeat Vecna himself (very very tough fight) and Cromwell/Cespenar can forge the Cloak and Eye and Hand into a very good item. Just an idea [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
If I may comment: Vecna is a freaking God of Magic! Vecna the Lich is only his physical manifestation on Faerun. That would (or at least should) a very, very difficult fight. I could imagine what kind of havoc a God, especially a God of Magic, would spread in a fight. And nevertheless, would it be really wise to angry a God? Even though you are almost a God yourself but still I think it wouldn't be such a good idea to go against a God. [img]smile.gif[/img] What next? Go against Lord Ao?
McHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:29 AM   #15
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
hold on, spells are cast once per round, right? 1 turn=10 rounds, right? 1round=6 seconds, thus 1 turn equals 60 seconds. that would mean that after being cast, it would effect the next 10 spells.
Now that DOES explain a lot to me. I always figured round=turn and therefore never used certain spells because I thought they were lasting to short.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:18 AM   #16
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

I would like someone to write a mod for BG2 to slightly rework the spell system.

I'm sick of having spell levels with spells on that I don't really use, for instance, I pretty much ignore level 3 and 5 spells (there are exceptions, but generally). Sometimes I don't really use my L7 and 8 spells... and I always run low on my improved haste spells.

Is there any chance of a small mod being created that allows a character to cast spells of n level or below, rather than n level. The simpler spells would just get memorised in place of the higher level spells.

Anybody given this any thought before? The spell level system makes no sense whatsoever ("I can cast 5 level 1 spells, but I can't memorise more level 1 spells rather than the uber poweful L9 'drop dead'TM spell").

Anybody else have any idea what I'm rambling on about?
Old 07-01-2003, 10:01 AM   #17
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

No,but i do not understand how can you as a Mage forget spells. You learn them. When you learn something you just do not forget it so easy...
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:38 AM   #18
Russ
Manshoon

The hand and eye have been liberated for some time now.
The problem is, if you're keeping it true to form... their powers are unknown, and are unworkable in a computer environment...

First, you see, you have to maim yourself, and then add the given item to your body.... then you get a number of positive benefits, and a number of non-positive drawbacks... and a few truly hideous curses. All in one lively little artifact.

Not real workable in IEEP, imho... and hard to write into the storyline except perhaps as an adjunct to ToB... only those who were truly mad for power could hope to take advantage of such relics.
Actually, though, writing at least the plot for a quest involving getting rid of someone in possession of them, that wouldn't be hard at all... pity I don't have the coding skills for it. If somebody is interested, email me, and I'll crank them a plot synopsis with a Glen Cook-style atmosphere.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:56 PM   #19
Vedran
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
I'm sick of having spell levels with spells on that I don't really use, for instance, I pretty much ignore level 3 and 5 spells (there are exceptions, but generally). Sometimes I don't really use my L7 and 8 spells... and I always run low on my improved haste spells.
I, for instance, use 3rd and 5th level spells the most, skipping 2nd and 4th.
You don't use Prismatic Spray, Mass Invisibility, Spell Sequencer and Ruby ray? You don't use Abi's and Spell Trigger? Well, I do.

Russ, what does those artefacts do? Post it, and we shall see if that is doable.
I've seen artefact creation guide in some book, and many of those effects are really undoable or hardly doable in Infinity.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 04:00 PM   #20
Russ
Manshoon

When Gygax originally did them up (they've been around THAT FLIPPIN' LONG), the powers were intentionally left up to the DM. Examples were given of possibilities, but there's no set powers, just a number of them that there are, and, in the case of the eye, hand, and teeth of Vecna, hints at just how disturbingly foul the side effects tended to be...

I concur that this is probably not possible in IEEP... more likely, confronting someone or someones infected with them and mad for/with power...