Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-27-2001, 07:45 PM   #11
stilgar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

wow, thanks for all the welcomes and advice...
i'm definately gonna get some more memory soon.

i guess one more specific question is:
on the config page
should i leave my comp rating as 600 + and just notch down the graphics and sound level

or
lower my comp rating to, say, 233 or so ?
Old 11-27-2001, 08:12 PM   #12
andrewas
Harper

remember that the performance defaults are set by theoretical numbers rather than actual experience. in most cases anyway. so i would recomend moving the slider to the notch below the one your machine is at.

id rather sacrifice some eye-candy than sacrifice some framerate which might mean i cant fire off a spell when i really *need* it. and trust me, in some of the later fights, esp in ToB you need pin-point precision and timing even while the spells are alrady flying.

somebody mentioned that 3d cards giving problems are probably badly configured. well, mine can run quake 3 like a dream, half-life perrfectly and Earth 2150 with nary a glitch. but with BG2 it slows down to a crawl. its more to do with raw power available than configuration here, anything that isnt gefore2 or kryo II (or close eqivalents) just wont cut it. needless to say, my old voodoo banshee sucked pretty bad.
Old 11-27-2001, 10:11 PM   #13
Ares

I agree with andrewas...Voodoo Banshee's suck hard at BG2 (work perfectly for UT and Q3 ) I now have an Nvidia Riva TNT2 and with 3D on, it works alright, but not up to my standards. I have res at 800x600, and the cpu settings at above average, Card settings at Average, and Sound at average..it works PERFECTLY! I also have 128 ram...and only a 4 gb HD that BG2 is on (i also have another 4 and a 3) I have D2, BG2, and Serious Sam on the same drive and it works great with 500 cache. Oh yea, im runnin Win 98 with a P3 650
Old 11-27-2001, 10:34 PM   #14
huma
The Magister

Don,t feel bad,I,ve got a p4 1700mhz,512mb of ram,ge-force 32mb video
40gb hard drive and have nothing running or monitoring in background.
system resources about 85 percent free.Win ME.All game configs are maxed, and rightly so.But if there are multiple spells, or a large creature animation,my system slows to a crawl.My mouse cursor moves at a snails pace etc.I run other higher res games without a problem?
Maybe it,s my video card? Hope not,I don,t think even santa can afford a ge-force 3 card.
Old 11-28-2001, 01:37 AM   #15
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by stilgar:
wow, thanks for all the welcomes and advice...
i'm definately gonna get some more memory soon.

i guess one more specific question is:
on the config page
should i leave my comp rating as 600 + and just notch down the graphics and sound level

or
lower my comp rating to, say, 233 or so ?

With the advice I gave you above I haven't moved the comp ratings at all even though I AM playing with a 233mhz machine.