Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-14-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Ok here is a little question for the folks that have had kids or if your are going to find kids.

We are expecting another baby soon(end of JAN). Anyways I am thinking about finding the sex out of the new baby on the way. But alot of people I talk to that have had kids say that I am crazy and should wait. When we had Sydney we found the sex out.

So what have you all done when you had kids. Did you find out the sex?

Also check out the new pic I uploaded to the album. It is a pic of the new baby on the way.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:26 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I only know one person who insisted on not finding out the sex of her baby ahead of time and in the end I think someone in her doctor's office spilled it so she knew.

Of course then there's my bosses neigbor who was told she was having a girl and then had a boy!

PS: CONGRATS TO YOU AND YOUR WIFE!

[ 09-14-2004, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 09-14-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Congratulations, Mack!!!! [img]graemlins/yippee.gif[/img]

My wife and I have 3 children (all boys) and we found out the sex with every one of them. It makes planning for the babies arrival SOOOO much easiers. Everything from decorating the room to picking out clothes becomes so much more simple when you know if it will be a boy or girl.

It also helps when trying to choose the name too, since you only have to concentrate on either a girl's name or a boy's instead of agreeing on TWO names (LOL, my wife and I argued endlessly over the name of our 3rd child. He was an "unexpected blessing" and we had actually given away a LOT of our baby stuff - so we had to go out and buy new items to replace what we had gotten rid of.

And for some reason, we just could NOT agree on a name for him. Now I love thinking up names for babies and I came up with several - but my wife just didn't like any of them. Finally, one night I got mad. She asked if I had any more suggestions and I said "No, I don't." When she asked why not, I told her I was tired of her disliking every single name I came up with, so for the rest of the pregnancy I was going to let HER come up with a name and I would "shoot it down". Needless to say, she took the hint that I had reached the absolute end of my patience, and we managed to reach a compromise on the name (she agreed to a name I liked for the middle name).

Sorry, didn't mean to go on a rant. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I can say with absolute certainty though that finding out the sex ahead of time is a BIG advantage. And don't listen to arguments about the Ultrasound techs getting the sex wrong and then you and your wife getting an even BIGGER surprise when they are born. That is very rare - mainly because the Ultrasound tech won't tell you the sex of the baby unless they can be 100% positive. If there is any doubt at all, the tech will just tell you they can't be sure.

BTW, have you and your wife picked out names yet? I would love to hear them if you have.

Congratulations again, Mack. Keep us posted. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
Mack_Attack

Man Cerek sounds like me and you are in the same boat with the names. I like the more plan names. And the wife likes these weird name. So needless to say we have not come up with any names yet. When she comes up with some names I will post them and we can have a good laugh.

I also agree finding out the sex is a good thing. I am kind of a pre-planner. So finding out the sex I can get a jump on the planning.

Also thanks cloudy on the congrats.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Of course then there's my bosses neigbor who was told she was having a girl and then had a boy!
Gee, thanks a LOT, AngelEyes. I just got done reassuring him that wouldn't happen.

Well, the only thing I can say is that it must have been an in-experienced tech. I know the girls that did Amber's ultrasounds wouldn't even give us a hint of the sex unless they were absolutely positive.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
Man Cerek sounds like me and you are in the same boat with the names. I like the more plan names. And the wife likes these weird name. So needless to say we have not come up with any names yet. When she comes up with some names I will post them and we can have a good laugh.
LOLOLOL!!! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] I feel your pain, brother. [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] My wife came up with some TOTALLY off the wall names for our 3rd son. Some examples included: Kellen, Trinity, and Jacah (combination of Jacob and Micah).

In the meantime, I had suggested names like Ethan, Isaac, and Andrew (which we eventually chose as his middle name). One of my favorite names is Andrew Connor, but she kept saying her mom would call him "Andy". I said "NO, his name would be Andrew!! (I don't like shortened names for some reason).

We eventually reached an agreement. I always insisted on Biblical names, but decided to give more contemporary names a try with our 3rd child. But in doing so, I found out that it was really important to me for the name to be Biblical. We eventually decided on "Micah" - which was a name I had rejected during our first pregnancy, but I had grown to like it in the years that followed.

Let us know what you and the missus eventually decide upon.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:09 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, sorry Cerek! But I had to toss that one in. My boss said her neighbor only had girl's names picked out and all her preparation was for a girl so it WAS a surprise for sure to find she gave birth to a boy! Apparently they dressed him in a lovely pink lacy thing to go home from the hospital! [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Well, first off, congratulations to the four of you! Life's about to get even more interesting...

Now, for the sex thing... we didn't find out with either of our kids. Partially, I think it was to pi$$ my parents off, since my mom really, really, REALLY wanted to know. I also like the surprise, and the moment of truth (dear, it's a...)

Hmmm... as I think back, I think we did find out with our second child. I remember singing songs to Alaina about her impending brother.

Personally, I prefer the surprise factor. Realistically, though, I don't think it really matters. What matters is that your new child will be healthy and strong... whether it's a boy, a girl, or not alone
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:05 PM   #9
Mack_Attack

I really dig that name Connor. I will have to run that by the wife.

And Bungleau I agree with you saying life is going to get intresting. I often wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweat.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:20 PM   #10
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Laurie, er, Galadria, and I knew the names of both of ours, for Cerek's reasons. Plus, we are really, really nosy. We nicknamed Will "Vladimir," but he doesn't answer to it. Galadria says, "Who wouldn't? That way you can gear your mind to it. Who doesn't want t know? Movie stars?" Of course, we have both reached the age when we *really* hate surprises. Congrats to you and your better half, Mack!

EDIT: typos

[ 09-14-2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Attalus ]