Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-01-2004, 10:30 AM   #21
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

In spite of (and perhaps because of) the additional history you've just passed along, I'd still take it back to repair shop #2 and have them run it for a while *just like you would* -- cover on, everything buttoned up. As quickly as it apparently is happening for you, they should see it just as quickly. Then have them fix what's broken.

If it doesn't happen for them (mechanic's syndrome), then I'd ask them to swap different pieces to see what might be the culprit. And I'd start with the power supply... I've replaced several in my machines, and while they last a long time, they aren't forever.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #22
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

In spite of (and perhaps because of) the additional history you've just passed along, I'd still take it back to repair shop #2 and have them run it for a while *just like you would* -- cover on, everything buttoned up. As quickly as it apparently is happening for you, they should see it just as quickly. Then have them fix what's broken.

If it doesn't happen for them (mechanic's syndrome), then I'd ask them to swap different pieces to see what might be the culprit. And I'd start with the power supply... I've replaced several in my machines, and while they last a long time, they aren't forever.

And while I think of it, have you checked the Windows logs (the event viewer) for any messages? That might clue you in to exactly what's misbehaving. 'Course, whoever you're taking it to should have done that, but it never hurts to be sure.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:39 AM   #23
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Can they prove that they actually did a fresh install? Maybe they cut corners, knowing you would never be able to know.

Threaten them with a BBB report.
Then they'll straighten up.
umm.. whats a BBB report? just curious.

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-01-2004, 11:59 AM   #24
Elif Godson
Dracolich

better busness bereau
Old 11-01-2004, 07:14 PM   #25
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Have you changed the RAM lately and how much do you have? I strongly believe that nobody knows dick about these things anymore.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:39 PM   #26
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I called Shop#2 back today and told them what was happening. They asked if the PC was well ventilated because it could be overheating. I have the PC under my little Wal-Mart Special Computer Station. It is not inside a little compartment built of the tower, it sits under the keyboard shelf. The tech suggested pulling the PC out from the wall a little further (I had it about 4-6 inches away from the wall) and see if that helped.

Tonight, the machine rebooted THREE TIMES when I tried to get onto the internet for the first time [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] - but it has since "calmed down" and seems to be working fine (for now).

VulcanRider - What I mean by a missing backplate is exactly what it sounds like. There is no backplate to fit "flush" against the back of the machine that closes off the "gaps" around the different plugs on the motherboard. I can look straight into the back of my machine around the plugs for my monitor, keyboard, printer, etc. Yeah, I know it is a POS thing to do, but by the time this happened they had had my PC for several weeks and I wasn't interested in waiting another week for them to order a NEW mobo in to replace this one....especially after they agreed to sell it at almost half-price. I realize I will eventually have to replace the mobo, but that's where the actions of Shop#2 will help.

NOW I can go BACK to Shop#1 and say "Alright, I had another shop do a fresh install, and my machine is STILL acting up...so it MUST be the fault of one of the components YOU installed...and my first guess would be that POS motherboard you put in. I want a warranty replacement for the mobo or I'm going to the BBB."

The tech at Shop#2 DID offer to let me bring the machine back so they could just set it up and let it run to see if they could reproduce the problem...but they charge a $25.00 fee just to look at it - even if they don't do anything. However, I do know them personally and have a history with them, so they might waive that fee since they just "fixed" the machine last week.

The power supply IS a possible culprit because it was NOT upgraded with the rest of the machine. I bought this PC online from a discount dealer and it worked perfectly for 2 years (so I guess I shouldn't complain too much), but I'll never make that same mistake again. Next time, I'm getting a Dell. Not only are they FAR more reliable, but Dell actually offers an extra discount to workers in the Healthcare Industry (schweeeeet). I haven't checked it out to see just HOW good a deal I can get, but if my problems persist, the "Dude, it'll be time to get a Dell."

OH...one other note. I DO have a back-up PC that has worked fine and has most of the my games on it (including a FULL INSTALL of BGII). Ironically, THAT machine came from Shop#1. I convinced the shop owner to donate PC system for a fundraiser we were having and sold raffle tickets. Very few people bought any tickets, so I ended up buying most of them myself. Out of a total of 200 tickets sold, I bought 50 of them ($1.00 apiece). So I got a new PC for only 50 bucks. My boys use it most of the time. Tonight, I went into the room to turn that machine off, and I'll be damned if it didn't have the SAME FREAKIN MESSAGE on the screen (This system has recovered from a serious error!). SONNUVA.... That convinced me beyond any shadow of doubt about the "quality" of parts and PC's that Shop#1 deals in.

I've talked to my wife about the situation and I've just about decided to simply sign up for computer courses at the local community college and learn how to fix this crap myself. PLUS - I've always wanted to do web page designs. While my programming skills are pathetic (and that's being generous), I've always had a knack for creating neat graphics - even WAAAAAY back when I was first learning to program using B.A.S.I.C. Even with THAT limited language (and my even more limited programming skills) I could create some neat looking screens.

Now would be a good time to kill two birds with one stone.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:47 PM   #27
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:
I've always had a knack for creating neat graphics - even WAAAAAY back when I was first learning to program using B.A.S.I.C. Even with THAT limited language (and my even more limited programming skills) I could create some neat looking screens.
"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."

-Edsger W. Dijkstra, Selected Writings on Computing: A Personal Perspective
Old 11-02-2004, 04:58 AM   #28
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Heh! Nice quote !
Old 11-02-2004, 05:57 AM   #29
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null1:
"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."

-Edsger W. Dijkstra, Selected Writings on Computing: A Personal Perspective
LOL!!! Well I was "beyond hope" before I even started BASIC, so what little exposure I had didn't do any damage that wasn't already done. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2004, 06:45 AM   #30
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Just for fun, the next time you're at either of these places, ask them if they know what ESD is. If they don't, run like hell! If they do, ask them what steps they take to prevent this from happening to your, or anybody elses PC. They should be wearing a grounded wrist strap, or have a specially grounded floor with special footwear. A lab coat would really help, specially if they're wearing non-natural fiber, like polyester. I used to work for Digital and believe me, it does make a big difference. Most componants on the MB can fry at about 50volts. You discharge 1000's of volts all the time!

..and I'm still leaning toward the MB, even though both PC's are doing it. Or get rid of BG??

[ 11-02-2004, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]