Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-10-2001, 06:53 AM   #21
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

I never said the monk was japanese, merely oriental. My major problem with eastern culture intruding in the realms is that D&D never seemed to use this angle before, remaining faithful to the original Tolkienesque background. With the introduction of certain elements like monks and vampires, the whole thing is taking on a hollywood feel that seems to be dragging the game down a bit. The next thing you'll see will be a bruce willis character with a vest that has the stars and stripes on it. The draw of Baldurs Gate was its foundind in a fantasy world, one that owed allegiance to no country. This seems to be going by the way side as the creators attempt to invent new avenues of exploitation. Personally I would like to see more magical creatures in there, like a balrog or something.
Old 08-10-2001, 03:27 PM   #22
Tuor
Elminster

BG1 never fully embraced the forgotten realms campaign environment hence monks, kensai and so on seem out of place. There are (I believe) other so called 'oriental' classes you can play in the pnp version that have been left out of BG2 which tries to mirror forgotten realms more accurately.

Incidently you all seem to be looking at BG2 from a Europe/Asia/USA standpoint this is a fantasy world after all and there is nothing to stop cultures which lived thousands of miles away from each other in our world coexisting in Faerun.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:03 PM   #23
Gwayne
Zhentarim Guard

I personally like the Monk!

------------------
Old 08-13-2001, 12:51 PM   #24
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

I'm actually looking at it from a Tolkien perspective (which admittedly is based on Western celtic civilisation)
Old 08-13-2001, 01:00 PM   #25
Darkon Blackblood
The Magister

back to the weapons issue to be historicly correct the kensai would be
weilding a katana in his good hand and a Wakizashi in his off hand
Old 08-14-2001, 10:08 AM   #26
Tuor
Elminster

Not strictly true a samurai (a heavily armoured and armed Japenese knight) would dual wield a katana and a wakizashi, a kensai or sword saint would not necessarily-traditionally I believe Kensai fought with one weapon (and probably used single weapon style to improve their AC)
Old 08-14-2001, 10:20 AM   #27
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Right on Rikard. Having the Quivering Palm makes the Monk Chinese since it was the Chinese that had the Shoalin Temple and thats where the monk learns the Quivering Palm.

Look ar Qui Chan Kang for the old Kung-Fu series. He was a Shoalin Monk. Even though David Carradine(sp??) didnt know any Kung-fu when the series started he he has since progress to 8th Dan. And he is still a practitioner.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2001, 01:14 PM   #28
Rikard

[quote]With the introduction of certain elements like monks and vampires, the whole thing is taking on a hollywood feel that seems to be dragging the game down a bit. The next thing you'll see will be a bruce willis character with a vest that has the stars and stripes on it.[quote/]
I don't see the hollywood feel in vampires
and especially not in Monks
I never seen a real monk in a typical hollywood movie
Another thing you forget that during medival times the chinese culture was so advanced that they could travel to Europe
whilest your Bruce Willis Character would wear clothers that do not even exist
I agree a fantasy world should be in the medival periode but Monks and Vampires in my opinion fit in that scenery

------------------

Old 08-15-2001, 06:49 AM   #29
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

Look back on the previous messages, see that people are quoting the Kung fu series as proof positive about the activities of Shaolin monks (ahhh gwasshoppa, grab the cockroach from my hand and you can go, ahhh... ok, now put the shears down, tape my hand back on and do it properly...). If you see what peoples interpretation of Shaolin monks is, you'll get my drift about the Hollywood feel to the game (i.e. Americanised interpretation of Chinese civilization). Also, the bit about Europe is out of place. The forgotten realms draw from a Tolkien background, in the Tolkien world there was no Oriental country containing badass monks, in fact vampires weren't even mentioned (although life draining undead spectres were). It all seems to be borrowing from American TV and cinema, Interview with a vampire meets enter the dragon and stops to chat with Kung fu and the Karate Kid... remember people... "wax on, wax off, arrgggh the hairs on my legs...."