Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 09-29-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Wow, I was testing out a FMT in a party that also has a Bard in it.

The Bard was 4th level before the FMT hit 2nd as a Mage. I wonder if and when the Mage will cast higher level spells than the Bard, assuming they earn roughly the same amount of XP.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I generally only recommend Triple-Classed characters in the following scenerios...

1) You are playing on a higher difficulty.

2) Your party size is 4 or less.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:43 AM   #3
Soothsayer
Dungeon Master

I agree with Dundee totally, although having a triple-class in a party of 4 would be a stretch. (Hey what can I say, I like my exp) I cringe at selecting a 2-class character, let alone a 3-class.

Does that make me a power gamer?
I just cant help liking elite players, having a large group of lamers do the job just doesnt feel right.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Soothsayer, I think selecting a triple class character makes you more of a powergamer than a single classed character, depending at how you look at it. IMHO, a FMT (at very high levels) can do much more than a single classed version of any of those classes.

I don't have much experience with this game (I'm a chronic restarter anyway, and I'm still feeling this game out on top of that), but what I have noticed is that a single classed mage sucks. I have played with one, and always had open spell slots because I couldn't find spells fast enough to fill my high level slots.

I've played a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist, and still had open slots.

My experiement with a FMT is a result of these experiences. Both the Mage and Thief classes reach a point where they're really not that useful. A Thief is useless for me after reaching 100 in Traps and Locks (I'm not into stealth, and have a Bard for picking pockets), a Mage has slots he can't even use yet (and the Bard has open slots as well, if I do find the right scrolls, my Bard is more than enough of a spellcaster). The Fighter part is added in to both nerf the abilities of the other two classes (making them more useful, longer), and also makes her useful as an archer, with ** in Bows.

If you couldn't tell, I've never been a big fan of Thieves or Mages, but view them as a "necessary evil." If you're familiar with Baldur's Gate II, I used Imoen as an archer more than I ever cast spells or did thiefy things. A FMT allows me to have a backrow archer, and a pretty good one at that, while handling my Mage and Thief duties along with my Bard.