Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #1
SMIV
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all Wizards and Warriors.

I'm having some trouble with my game and I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem. I bought and played the game about 2 weeks after it came out. It was awesome, and haven't had that much fun with a game in a long time. Unfortunately I got to the 'vampire ring' bug and got stuck and had since quit. Well now that i'm a bit more internet savvy... [img]tongue.gif[/img] I've found you all and patches and am ready to give it another go...I wanna beat this game!!

My problem is i'm afraid a serious one. At the beginning just after Gareth talks to you and gets you on your way. I'm not allowed to enter the town hall OR leave the gates on the right. Without being able to do that how am I supposed to get to the cemetary and all. What about all the quests and the town hall. Plz help me cause I'm desperate here. If anything a link to another post with the same problem...i've looked, but nothin! Thank you all and look forward to playin all kinds of games here at ironworks!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:53 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, SMIV!!!

Have you read through the Tech Tips thread? From the description of your problem(s) the solutions are there!
If you continue to have difficulty, post again and include information on your computer - OS, hardware, DirectX etc. The more information we have on what you machine is like, the easier it will be to resolve the problem!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:56 AM   #3
SMIV
Elite Waterdeep Guard

um...yea...i just read the tip for using Virtualdub and i feel like an idiot. Sry for the post. Thanks though for being here...I'll be back!!
Old 01-22-2004, 11:00 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

SMIV - this has happened to so many players!!

W&W is a great game but because they rushed it to market it came out with a few "bugs". Fortunately there are fixes or work arounds for all of them and we've got the very best group of techie posters here on this board! They put together that Tech Tip thread which is terrific!!

If you have any difficulties - just come back and ask for help! Everyone here is very friendly and very helpful!

Wyv
Old 01-22-2004, 01:54 PM   #5
SMIV
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thx a bunch Wyvern for the quick response. I see you're famous for that. I plan on spending quite a bit of time here for a while so I figure i'll go ahead and post my puter specs so anyone that has any related problems can hook me up before I get too "into" the game.

Win XP HE
Pentium4 2.4 ghz
1 Gig PC4000 RAM
ATI 9800 Pro
MSI 875p Neo mobo

I don't plan on gettin too far into the game until I finish reading up on most of the posts (quite a lot of them... [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) so anyone have any concerns with my setup and a new game feel free to comment...
Old 01-22-2004, 02:46 PM   #6
SMIV
Elite Waterdeep Guard

um...already I'm havin trouble again...

this little Inn cheat

Only for completness of this topic:
INFINITE GOLD (the inn bug):
The following method works safely.
1. Pool gold to one of your characters, let us call him "Guy".
2. Leave the town and save the game there (for safety).
3. Return to the inn. Remove all your characters (i.e., put them into the inn).
4. Create a new character. Let us call him "Chest". Add "Chest" to the party.
REPEAT
5. Add "Guy" to the party.
6. Pool gold to "Chest".
7. Remove "Guy" from the party.
END REPEAT
8. When "Chest" has a good amount of gold, add "Guy", pool to "Chest", pool to "Guy", delete "Chest" (actually delete), leave the inn, and goto step 1. This allows you to enlarge the amount of initial Guy's gold an poll much faster next time. In a few seconds you can have millions of gold.

Well it doesn't seem to work for me. The repeat part has me all confused. Is this cheat fixed in the patch or what?
Old 01-22-2004, 03:01 PM   #7
bsftcs
Red Dragon

First of all: Welcome to the board, SMIV [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Unfortunately I cannot help you much with your technical problems. I can, however, confirm that the patch renders the inn cheat useless.

If the gate and the town hall are the only things you cannot access you can still complete the game. Unfortunately these problems would seem to indicate that you will have other problems later on.

I am sure the techies will be around soon. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-22-2004, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 01-22-2004, 03:27 PM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

The inn gold "undocumented feature" is (ahem) fixed when you install the patch - alas!
The one you quoted isn't the best of the inn gold schemes but doesn't matter, none of them will work once you've installed the patch.
There are excellent ways to make $$ in the game. Making one of your characters a ranger and learning fletchery is very profitable. There are others listed in the Best Tips as well. There is also a good list of what the patch fixes and what it takes away.

Virtual Dub should have resolved your town problems. The patch will avoid any problems with the vampire ring. Of course, you can avoid those problems by simply not equiping the ring in the unpatched game.

Wyv
Old 01-22-2004, 04:11 PM   #9
SMIV
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Man you guys are good...and quick. The VirtualDub did fix my orginal problem...I was kinda upset that I didn't find out for myself in time to delete my noobie post... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The Patch fixes the money cheat huh? Well then I just have reinstall? I'd ask if there was another way to just remove the patch, but figure it'd be quicker to just reinstall (not dissin on your speed though [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Thx again guys for all your speedy, courtious help. What other games here at Ironworks do you all play and what not?

I personally have Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale, but am really thinkin about gettin some more of the games located here. I hear a lot of good things about Baldurs gate II. Gimme some of your opinions on games. I've always played Might and Magic series, but with the 3DO bankruptcy I've got to find other ways to waste my life away.. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2004, 04:35 PM   #10
SMIV
Elite Waterdeep Guard

BTW! I've been reading a lot of posts and have a few more questions.

1. Has anyone attempted to install 2 different copies of W&W on their HD. One patched and one unpatched and just switched the save games as needed? Will that work?

2. Are there any bugs in the game that are not circumventable?

3. Is there a thread about all of the in-game quests that MUST be done in a certain order or things that MUST be taken care of before another thing is done (boy am i being vague)eh?

EDIT: about 1. I tried to install another copy but it said it saw the game already installed...can I get past this somehow???

[ 01-22-2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: SMIV ]