Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #31
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Re: Election Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
so now we have gone from "it never happened" to arguing the details of what did happen .... my work here is done

unless there are more people who still believe the world is flat or that no crimes against democracy have taken place

.... goes off to look under more rocks for those still burying there head
JOB? You had a job, HERE? WOW! Z, HEY Z! it's time to counsel Choc!
This has already been covered in your other thread W, with complete resolution. However, if you must continue, then place your rhetoric towards me. I and my 49,999 brothers and sisters that voted absentee from the state of Florida demanded that recount. There was no way in hell Kerry was going to win with 50K known military voters against him! This also addresses the bean counter math that said Kerry could have pulled it with more votes per county. Wrong, absentee goes directly to the state, and carries with it state wide numbers, not county districts, thus debunking illogical (D) math!

This election shall not have those issues! Reason? The military absentee ballots did not make it to the ground units on time. If you want to question something, question that. How the frick can something like that happen? However, the voting officers did get a resolution and all troops on the ground have already voted!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #32
Papa Schlumpf
Manshoon

Light Bulb Re: Election Question

Just to make sure, anyone claiming that Republicans have never participated in any kind of voter sabotage in the last decade is factually incorrect. In fact, one of those who did just that even wrote a book about it called 'How to rig an election', after he got out of prison.

"After ten full years inside the GOP, ninety days amongst honest criminals wasn't any great ordeal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Raymond

Plus an interview with the guy regarding his book:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=LnH8i1rQHdo
Papa Schlumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #33
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post
Obama has won?
When do we get confirmation Mr Clegg has won?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #34
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Ok, this lost me.

In England, "counties" are our versions of states. lol.
Completely wrong Lav. The equivalent of American states in the UK are England, Scotland, Wales etc in the United Kingdom. Or even France Germany and Belgium in the E.U.

The American states are sovereign. Each state has it's own counties (or boroughs or parishes depending on where you are) themselves, just like England does.

I live in Kings county for example, which is in the State of New York.

The Union involved in the USA is similar to what's happening with your European Union.

Infringements on states rights are not what the founding fathers envisioned, just as no-one wants to see Germany running all over Czech rights for example.

Last edited by Yorick; 11-04-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #35
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Schlumpf View Post
Just to make sure, anyone claiming that Republicans have never participated in any kind of voter sabotage in the last decade is factually incorrect. In fact, one of those who did just that even wrote a book about it called 'How to rig an election', after he got out of prison.

"After ten full years inside the GOP, ninety days amongst honest criminals wasn't any great ordeal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Raymond

Plus an interview with the guy regarding his book:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=LnH8i1rQHdo
Yes, I remember this guy. He was the one asked to jam the phonelines.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #36
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Quote:
So in England, the country votes, and its simply a matter of the most people wins. Counties don't matter.
Apologies to all if I get a little off-subject, but I may have to break your heart on this one, Lav. We may all get a vote in the UK but that ain't how it works.

Our current system for electing MPs to the House of Commons is First-Past-The-Post. There are 646 separate constituencies across the UK each electing one single Member of Parliament. In order to vote you simply put an 'X' next to the name of the candidate you support. The candidate who gets the most votes wins, regardless of the actual percentage of support. Once members have been individually elected, the party with the most seats in Parliament, regardless of whether or not it has a majority across the country, normally becomes the next government.

To put some numbers around this and give a clearer idea of how this actually works these are some of the numbers for the General Election in 2005:

The average number of votes per MP elected was 26,906 for Labour, 44,373 for Conservative and 96,539 for Liberal Democrats

Labour won 35.2% of the total vote cast, but got 55.1% of the seats in Parliament, giving them power to form a government.

The reality of this is that they did get the highest number of votes for any individual party, but 35.2% of voters hardly counts as popular government, even less so by taking into account the low turnout (61%) of eligible voters who actually voted for them, thus giving a rather pathetic 21.5% popularity. At best that means 33% didn't want them and the other 39% either felt that their vote wouldn't make any difference (hey, wake up out there, you should have an Apathy party and then you'd have the majority) or apparently don't care enough to vote.

And this doesn't account for strategic voting e.g. those who may have voted Labour to prevent yet another Conservative government, and vice versa, further distorting the poularity stakes.

So, if we base this on popularity i.e. number of votes cast per party gets % of seats in government we would have the following:

Actual Seats Seats by popular %
Labour 356 228
Conservative 198 209
Lib Dem 62 142
Other 30 67

So, the Labour party would still have the most seats, but not enough to form a Government, this could only have been done by an alliance of parties.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.

Last edited by Unglaublich Verwustung; 11-04-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Damn my poor spelling when I get into a rant
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #37
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:

Plus you have all these pre-elections or w/e in states and polls and all this...we don't.

Really? So the Tory party and the Labour Party and the Liberal Dems don't all vote on who their leader is before they go to a public election? Wow? So how is the leader chosen? A boxing match?

The preselections are the internal votes of each party. The party memberships are just so large and publicly monitored. Not as many "back room deals" like you might find in the Westminster system.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #38
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unglaublich Verwustung View Post
Apologies to all if I get a little off-subject, but I may have to break your heart on this one, Lav. We may all get a vote in the UK but that ain't how it works.

Our current system for electing MPs to the House of Commons is First-Past-The-Post. There are 646 separate constituencies across the UK each electing one single Member of Parliament. In order to vote you simply put an 'X' next to the name of the candidate you support. The candidate who gets the most votes wins, regardless of the actual percentage of support. Once members have been individually elected, the party with the most seats in Parliament, regardless of whether or not it has a majority across the country, normally becomes the next government.

To put some numbers around this and give a clearer idea of how this actually works these are some of the numbers for the General Election in 2005:

The average number of votes per MP elected was 26,906 for Labour, 44,373 for Conservative and 96,539 for Liberal Democrats

Labour won 35.2% of the total vote cast, but got 55.1% of the seats in Parliament, giving them power to form a government.

The reality of this is that they did get the highest number of votes for any individual party, but 35.2% of voters hardly counts as popular government, even less so by taking into account the low turnout (61%) of eligible voters who actually voted for them, thus giving a rather pathetic 21.5% popularity. At best that means 33% didn't want them and the other 39% either felt that their vote wouldn't make any difference (hey, wake up out there, you should have an Apathy party and then you'd have the majority) or apparently don't care enough to vote.

And this doesn't account for strategic voting e.g. those who may have voted Labour to prevent yet another Conservative government, and vice versa, further distorting the poularity stakes.

So, if we base this on popularity i.e. number of votes cass per party gets % of seats in government we would have the following:

Labour 356 228
Conservative 198 209
Lib Dem 62 142
Other 30 67

So, the Labour would still have the most seats, but not enough to form a Government, this could only have been done by an alliance of parties.
Well done mate. Autralia has a Westminster system of Govt. too.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #39
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Falling on Floor Laughing Re: Election Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unglaublich Verwustung View Post

So, if we base this on popularity i.e. number of votes cast per party gets % of seats in government we would have the following:

Labour 356 228
Conservative 198 209
Lib Dem 62 142
Other 30 67

So, the Labour party would still have the most seats, but not enough to form a Government, this could only have been done by an alliance of parties.
Is this a remnant of the "rotten borough" problem that plagued UK elections in the past?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #40
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
Completely wrong Lav. The equivalent of American states in the UK are England, Scotland, Wales etc in the United Kingdom. Or even France Germany and Belgium in the E.U.
Firstly it's insulting to compare your states to our country.

So Don't.

We are countries, part of a bigger group of countries called Great Britain. We are not comparable to the State of Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
Really? So the Tory party and the Labour Party and the Liberal Dems don't all vote on who their leader is before they go to a public election? Wow? So how is the leader chosen? A boxing match?

They leaders are picked internally, by the partys themselves. That was my point. I beleived the American people voted on each partys leader.

We dont, AFAIK.

But im not very knowledagble on policitcs, im a bit out of my depth.