Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-23-2001, 10:08 AM   #1
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

I have a question for you all. My five year old son loves the
band Blink 182. I have just about all of their cd's, but he
was never allowed to listen to them because of the explicit
lyrics. I finally broke down and decided to buy him some
cd's from Walmart. Since they supposedly don't allow explicit
material to be sold.

I got home and wanted to check it out. Now I'm pissed. Okay,
they take out the "F" words. They take out the word 'sodomy',
and replace it with MTV. They still have slut, bitch, whore,
and a couple others. (That was just in two songs.) I'm taking
them back. The whole point of buying them, was for the
appropriate language.

I never agreed with them censoring music in the first place.
Now, seeing the pathetic job they did anyways, I am totally
against censoring music. The whole problem was "what is
acceptable". It is NOT acceptable to leave words such as slut,
bitch, and whore on a cd if you take other bad words off.

Anyone else have a problem with this?

Old 10-23-2001, 10:17 AM   #2
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I've noticed this quite a bit on tv. They'll bleep something like sh*t, but leave in b*tch and Gd. That last, in particular, offends me. Personally, I think swearing, for the most part, is completely unneccessary, juvenile and shows poor intellect. (No offense intended to those who swear, it's a habit that has been developed over the last few generations, it seems.) In music, I feel it definitely has no place. It tells me that the person writing the song had nothing better to say.

I know this is really about censoring stuff, but I don't think it needs to be there in the first place. However, I agree that, if they aren't going to censor it ALL, why censor any of it?
Old 10-23-2001, 10:22 AM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Notice that the words they leave in denigrate women in particular, whereas the ones they take out (at least that you mention) are generic epithets...

What kind of message does THAT send?

------------------

Patience, my BUTT...I'm going to KILL something!!!
Old 10-23-2001, 10:28 AM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mitro Jellywadder:
I have a question for you all. My five year old son loves the
band Blink 182. I have just about all of their cd's, but he
was never allowed to listen to them because of the explicit
lyrics. I finally broke down and decided to buy him some
cd's from Walmart. Since they supposedly don't allow explicit
material to be sold.

I got home and wanted to check it out. Now I'm pissed. Okay,
they take out the "F" words. They take out the word 'sodomy',
and replace it with MTV. They still have slut, bitch, whore,
and a couple others. (That was just in two songs.) I'm taking
them back. The whole point of buying them, was for the
appropriate language.

I never agreed with them censoring music in the first place.
Now, seeing the pathetic job they did anyways, I am totally
against censoring music. The whole problem was "what is
acceptable". It is NOT acceptable to leave words such as slut,
bitch, and whore on a cd if you take other bad words off.

Anyone else have a problem with this?

When my 13 year old son wants new music by a group I don't think he's mature enough for, he always brings up the "can we get it from Wal-Mart because their's are edited" argument.

I'm glad to see someone else agrees with me that what Wal-Mart thinks is edited, and what a parent thinks is edited don't even come close! At least they've made some effort, and I credit them for trying, but today's music is almost "edit-proof", unless you just want to hear the instrumental track

And like you I like some of today's music. Even some of the distastful stuff, but I'm 35, and he's 13. He won't understand until he has the same argument with his son.

Remember when you were a teenager, and you thought your parents were "crazy"? They said stuff like, "one day your kids will blah, blah, blah and THEN you'll understand." Man, I hate it when someone else is right and I was wrong...lol!

------------------
Old 10-23-2001, 10:28 AM   #5
Argus
The Magister

Mitro,

On a positive note. Kudos to you for listening to the CD before passing it on to your son. I wish more parents were like yourself and took a real interest in what their children were watching/listening/learning/reading before (or while) their children are doing so, and not after the fact.
Old 10-23-2001, 10:31 AM   #6
Drake
Baaz Draconian

I personaly don't get the whole problem with sware words. There just words and have no effect on anything unless you let them have an effect. take these two sentences "I ■■■■■■■ don't like that" and "I realy don't like that" they both get the message through that something is not liked by the person talking. it's like a damn(as in a water stopper) and damn(as in the sware word) the same word just with two diferent meanings. so why is one bad and the other not? it realy doesn't matter.

maybe it's just me but that's the way I see things.

------------------

Drake A.K.A. bocaj A.K.A MR.Drake
the HADB thug and keeper of Neil
Old 10-23-2001, 10:32 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

MJ, that's awful! I agree with you about the censoring- if they are doing it, why not completely? Sheesh! DM and Sazzie, you have excellent points! I agree about the use of foul language in general. It seems to have become a substitute for thinking. No need to find the appropriate word, you can toss in an expletive!

And Saz's point on the words associated with women is pretty accurate as far as I have seen. That's rather worrisome. Are we teaching the next generation that women don't deserve respect?

Good thread Mitro!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-23-2001, 10:34 AM   #8
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Notice that the words they leave in denigrate women in particular, whereas the ones they take out (at least that you mention) are generic epithets...

What kind of message does THAT send?
That thoose people censoring the music is as stupid as the ones writing it??

This wolf scratching his brow..

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-23-2001, 10:37 AM   #9
Sorcerer Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
MJ, that's awful! I agree with you about the censoring- if they are doing it, why not completely? Sheesh! DM and Sazzie, you have excellent points! I agree about the use of foul language in general. It seems to have become a substitute for thinking. No need to find the appropriate word, you can toss in an expletive!

And Saz's point on the words associated with women is pretty accurate as far as I have seen. That's rather worrisome. Are we teaching the next generation that women don't deserve respect?

Good thread Mitro!

Cloudy

I fully agree with you on this one, Cloudy. I think this is a wonderful post. I was going to add my thoughts to this thread but I think I'll just adopt yours!

------------------

Formidable Flirty Fishy Sorcerer of the HADB

Old 10-23-2001, 10:39 AM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake:
I personaly don't get the whole problem with sware words. There just words and have no effect on anything unless you let them have an effect. take these two sentences "I ■■■■■■■ don't like that" and "I realy don't like that" they both get the message through that something is not liked by the person talking. it's like a damn(as in a water stopper) and damn(as in the sware word) the same word just with two diferent meanings. so why is one bad and the other not? it realy doesn't matter.

maybe it's just me but that's the way I see things.
Drake, the one is based on meaningless addition of an inappropriate word to the communication. The other is a completley appropriate sentence. You see that word tossed into people's speech all the time these days and it is either a fill word or replaces something that might be more interesting and would certainly show more grasp of the language. Frankly, I tend to agree with DM, it doesn't sound excessively intelligent to me when I hear a kid saying things like "F***! I f*ing loved the f*ing concert!" I just sounds like they were too lazy to think of useful vocabulary! It's so overused these days that even the 'colorful or 'shock' value seem to be faded.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."