Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-12-2001, 12:39 PM   #1
Anthem
Dungeon Master

How do I kill Torgal and his trolls at the end of the de'Anise Keep quest?
Old 10-12-2001, 12:56 PM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

Hey Anthem ! Welcome to the board! Are you perhaps a Blink 182 fan (they got a song named Anthem) Anyways, to answer your question:
SPOILER!!
Yeah, I know, Tor'Gal can be a real pain in the ass sometimes. The problem with this "troll with an attitude" is that he has a pretty high regeneration rate, i.e. :you must make a lotta hits in little time to kill him. What you can do to beat him is the following:
Make your thief set some traps near the door which leads to Tor'Gals room. Then let the thief only enter the room (the other ones of your party stay in the room you were before, and wait for the trolls to show up). Then talk to Tor'Gal, say whatever you want, and when he becomes aggresive, run back to the room where your party's in. The traps will go off, Tor'Gal will be hit, and then you jump at him with your fighters (such as Minsc), you might consider casting haste upon them first. Your mages can keep casting Magic Missile, Melf's Acid Arrow, or other non-area affective spells to damage the trolls. The important thing to do is to direct your main attention to Tor'Gal, the other two trolls are a piece of cake once you dealt with that dude. Good luck! Remember: this is just one strategy, there are many others, which'll have the same effect!

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Guns don't kill people, people kill other people.

So, therefore:
Nobody moves! Give me your wallet, I have a person right here!

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 10-12-2001, 12:56 PM   #3
Nifft the Nimble

What are you playing, and who else is in your party?

As a fighter with no useful backup: leave the rest of your party in the Umber Hulk room. SLOOOOOOOOWLY sneak towards Torgal and his giant troll minions until you see Torgal (but NOT his giant troll minions!). He will attack you. Run back to the Umber Hulk room and pile on his ugly troll butt. Once he's dead you can go after the giant troll minions.

If you have some mages: cast Haste on everyone. Torgal has a chance to slow you with each hit.

Torgal regenerates quickly. Use some strength enhancements to do more damage with each hit. Potions of giant strength, Strength spells, Call Upon Holy Might, etc.

-- Nifft
Old 10-12-2001, 12:59 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

It is a cheesy tactic, I know...but I made some of them follow me throught the door, then shut the door, trapping the rest on the other side, while my party was in a pre-determined semi-circle, awaiting to butcher those unforuntates that came through the door.
After their deaths, I opened the door to finish the job.

------------------

3rd Member of the Ancient OHF and Diamond Ranger of the ALSB (secretarial position & Ambassador)
Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:03 PM   #5
Ugaya
Manshoon

In general: Haste your melee fighters with potions (better duration). Have fire or acid arrows ready. Your mages should have memorized melf's acid arrow and flame arrow. I also use Protection from Evil and Chant.

You can split this fight into two. Enter Torgal's room with only one hasted member, proceed slowly until he speaks to you. After he finished his speech move towards him again but only one or two steps. He will chase you alone, his companions ignore you. Lure him out of the room and finish him off. Then return for his companions. This is a bit hairy if you proceed too far you have three trolls pursuing you.
Another possibility is deploying your melee fighters directly at the door to his room. Archers and mages behind. As described above guide him and his companions to this ambush, you face only Torgal and one of his friend simultaneously because of the door.
Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Ugaya (edited 10-12-2001).]
Old 10-13-2001, 10:25 AM   #6
Kitty
Manshoon

There are lots of tactics, but I'll show you this one. Send just one member of the party to talk to Tor'Gal, being careful not to reveal the other trolls. There is a chance Tor'Gal won't fight you outright after the dialogue. Then have Nalia cast Web followed by some Fireballs, both from mage spells and wands, and also a Cloud Kill (by this time, Nalia will already be able to cast level 5 spells). This will be enough to kill the giant trolls. If Tor'gal escapes the area effect attacks (most likely to happen) then have your fighters smash him while the others pelt him with arrows and non-area effect spells.
Old 10-13-2001, 11:49 AM   #7
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Send a mage into the room, ALONE, while your characters stand unseen outside the door. Speak with Torgal, and when he attacks, go invisible. Cos he is the only one who can sense invisibilty, he will attack alone. Lead him outside the room (the two trolls should just stand still) and have your party attack him. Then, when he's dead, finish off the other two inside the room, maybe by firing a cloudkill or two in there. Hope I helped.

PS: Welcome, Anthem!

------------------
Horatio, Silver Ranger of the ALSB

Oh that lovely winged elf!
She's more valuable than the arrows of Melf,
More useful than the Scorcher and Magic Missle Conbined,
Join the ALSB, just sign on the line!
Old 10-13-2001, 02:25 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

i got him with entangle,web, stinking cloud, cloudkill and a couple of fighters in case one of them got through
Old 10-13-2001, 05:25 PM   #9
Lord Arn Dragonfire
The Magister

I just gangbang him...u need some good weapons but u should have good enough if u have sword of chaos from Irenicus place

------------------
Bronze Cavalier of ALSB, symbol and protector of goodness

May light illuminate u all